Search results

1. J

It won't stop!

Terry, All is well between you and I. We are both the victims of crappy decoders. John
  2. J

It won't stop!

The loco has never been in a consist on my layout. Thanks for the idea though. John
  3. J

It won't stop!

I'm 58 and remember well when "Made in Japan" = Junk. Funny how times change. John
  4. J

It won't stop!

Hi all, I spent some time on the phone Monday with Frank the decoder tech from MRC. He took me twice through the CV settings and the problem was still there. The second time on the main the loco stopped suddenly at speed step 4, sat there for a few seconds, and then started back up again. I...
  5. J

DCC Deciphering

I went with NCE Power Cab and couldn't be happier. I will add that I am now DCC with sound only. You wouldn't believe how much difference sound makes. To me, DCC without sound isn't worth the money. John
  6. J

It won't stop!

Terry, The chuffing still starts before the loco moves unless unless I have the start voltage set high enough that the loco lurches ahead quickly at speed step 1. I also had both locos on the main this morning. The Bachmann J Class ran fine. The Berkshire would suddenly stop for no reason...
  7. J

It won't stop!

It isn't my system, it's the decoder. Even screwier on another system. It's also back to stopping and restarting for no apparent reason on my layout. I did a check with my Bachmann that has a Lok Sound decoder to be sure, again, that I don't have a track/system problem. That Bachmann J-Class...
  8. J

It won't stop!

As Terry (BNSF971) said, it's interesting that it ran on one system and not another. He should know because he is the guy who installed the decoder and from whom I got the loco. It's about a 40 mile drive round trip to my LHS but I may go there today and try the loco on their test track. They...
  9. J

It won't stop!

I'll call MRC but the track record for my NCE system to date is good. I first ran a Walther's 2-8-8-2 with Quantum DCC/sound with zero problems. That was followed by an Athern FP45 with Sound Traxx Tsunami DCC/sound and zero problems. Then there was the Bachmann J-Class with aftermarket Lok...
  10. J

It won't stop!

Trent, I tried resetting the speed steps down to 14 but it didn't make a difference. I believe the decoder is hard wired so I can't change it out but I have another loco with DCC and sound that works perfectly on my layout. I know it's not my DCC system. It has to be something screwy in the...
  11. J

It won't stop!

Tried everything you said. It still moves at Step 1 unless I decrease the speed with the DEC FAST or the thumbwheel. It's like it thinks there is a speed step below zero. BTW, the default value of CV2 is 0. I can't get less than that can I? Thanks again, John
  12. J

It won't stop!

Crandell, Thanks for the tip but it didn't work. I did discover another strange thing though. I have a NCE Power Cab system. If I bring the speed down using the DEC FAST button the loco will stop at zero. If I bring the speed down with the normal throttle buttons the loco continues to move...
  13. J

It won't stop!

Here's the situation, a Walther's Berkshire 2-8-4 with a MRC DCC w/sound added. Sounds great. Runs fine forward and reverse. Will not stop when speed is reduced to zero. The speed will reduce right down to Step 1 and that's as slow as it goes. I can stop it by reversing direction or hitting...
  14. J

N Scale Walther's Berkshire to DCC w/sound?

Do you mind if I ask how difficult the installation was? What all did you have to do? Total greenhorn here. Thanks, John
  15. J

N Scale Walther's Berkshire to DCC w/sound?

Has anyone done a conversion of the N scale Walther's Berkshire to DCC with sound? I know that there is an outfit that is turning Kato Mikados into DCC/sound and was wondering if it could be done with the Berkshire. Thanks, John
  16. J

Need to Vent - M.B. Klein

Yes, it was new in the box. I bought it from my LHS about three weeks ago. Maybe I need to play around with it a little more. John
  17. J

Nope, no beacon on mine. F4 does trigger the air let off. You had me running into the train room to see if there was something I missed! LOL! John
  18. J

Thanks, Ryan. If I decide to tackle something like that again I'll check with you. Both Kato's are on Ebay with the auction ending this afternoon. They will soon have a new home. John
  19. J

New Loco, need caboose

I've bought and sold on Ebay for years and only had one bad experience. While I hear things are getting worse, most of the folks on there are good people. John
  20. J

Opinions on the best scale for the beginner?

I see that you are getting good advice. I'm a beginner too so I'll share what I've learned. My space is limited somewhat. I have the former dining room, which never got used, as the train room. I originally decided on N scale because of this. My wife and I bought a interior hollow-core...

Back