Search results

1. NC&StL

Block detection

I am embarrassed to ask this, because I have spent a career in electronics and don't know the answer! I have a Digitrax BD4N occupancy detector. I also am looking at toroid type block detectors. Are they performing the same function? That is closing a contact to signal a train in the block...
  2. NC&StL

Hobby Lobby Decal paper

Has anyone used Hobby Lobby's decal paper for marking equipment? I bought a pack today to experiment, and wondered if there are words of wisdom out there I should read. Thanks.
  3. NC&StL

Paint remover

I have used Pine Sol to remove stages of factory lettering and some paint from rolling stock, BUT what is a good paint removed for Testors spray and Krylon, etc rattle can spray paint. I am afraid I will melt the body if I use something too strong.
  4. NC&StL

NC&StL paint matching

Just learned that Apple Barrel brand GRANITE GRAY, is a dead ringer to match or touch up Microscale NC&StL passenger engine decals. Available at WalMart.
  5. NC&StL

First pictures of version 10 of the TA&G Railroad

Then you realize you haven't ballasted all the track, and so forth....and - this is all of the 11 x 14 room, that is picture worthy - or close to it!
  6. NC&StL

1:1 Snap Track

So, I saw this today while heading to lunch.
  7. NC&StL

Historic Railroad Buildings

I was in Montgomery Alabama over the weekend,I have passed this building many times since I started driving (many, many years ago). So I stopped to take a picture, and learned more history. This was the general office and freight depot for the Western Railway of Alabama. This building is...
  8. NC&StL

HO CON-COR/ Heljan turntable - Atlas Roundhouse

No, they dont want to be friends, but, if you separate the foundation of the roundhouse (3 stall version) in the middle about 1/4" the tracks will line up with the 90 foot Con-cor turntable (B804). I just dumped some ballast down in the space, added wet white glue & Iso alcohol like you were...
  9. NC&StL

S gauge auto's

Wal Mart is loaded with S gauge cars. Luck for those in that scale. AND great detail on them.
  10. NC&StL

Martin & Lewis Movie

What is the name of the 1950's movie featuring Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, that has extensive footage of the Santa Fe Super Chief (or El Cap, I dont remember). Thanks.
  11. NC&StL

Freight Terminal section

I am getting closer to being happy with the freight section of the layout. Still have to "wear out" the track, add a lot of use to the area, and dirty it up a lot!
  12. NC&StL

GRADE question

I have tried to get a handle on this but I will instead go to the group for an answer. If the track is raised 2 inches in a three foot long run, is that a 5 % grade or a .05 % grade , or what? That would transfer to 14.5 feet in a distance of 261 "real" feet in 1:1. (I think!)
  13. NC&StL

Code 100 vs. Code 83 Size of the ties

Okay here is a weird one. I just learned that Code 83 flex track from PECO or Atlas, will not fit in TYCO design Warren truss, or similar bridges. The area made available for Code 100 ties to sit in perfectly, is too narrow for Code 83 ties. I thought they would be smaller!
  14. NC&StL

S Gauge autos

Wal Mart has some very nice and accurate 50's and 60's cars in 1 : 64 scale. All I saw yesterday were priced under $5.00 each.
  15. NC&StL

Woodland Scenic Top Coat

Is there a big difference in Woodland Scenic Top Coat Asphalt and Concrete, than say acrylic craft paint? Our local Hobby Lobby does not stock this, and the cost for shipping a bottle from that auction site is about what the product costs - or more.
  16. NC&StL

Wpf 8/12

MOVED to WPF August I have moved my post to the August WPF thread.
  17. NC&StL

Backdrops

I know a lot has been written on backdrops, and lots of people like to do their own. I thought I had a decent touch for that but turns out - naww, I really don't. So in the last year I have tried a few suppliers of photo backdrops. I think we have a winner. Train Junkie is excellent...
  18. NC&StL

Wpf 8/7/2015 - 8/14/2015

Mr. Administrator, My mistake, please erase this post
  19. NC&StL

Wpf 8/7 - 8/14

My mistake for double posting, sorry about that.

Back