Search results

1. C

Do all rolling stock contain a metallic weight?

Ah - hoppers. Thanks for that heads-up. Reason I even have to ask the question on weights in the first place is that I do not actually operate a model railroad at this time. I am attempting to come up with some sort of track detection system that does not require the addition of resistors...
  2. C

Do all rolling stock contain a metallic weight?

Hi; Can someone tell me whether all rolling stock contains a metallic plate in the bottom used to add weight to the car, and if so, is this plate normally made of steel? I want to use an inductive track detection circuit, and therefore, all rolling stock would need a ferrous (steel) plate in...
  3. C

How common are conductive wheel sets?

No cab signals on this line. It's freight only, and only 50mph max. Here is a link to one company that makes the circuit I am talking about. http://alstomsignalingsolutions.com/OurProducts/WaysideProducts/TrackCircuit/DualCodeTC/ FW
  4. C

Before CSX took over the Conrail mainline in my area, I used to walk along the ROW, and found none of those joints at signal locations or grade crossing circuits. It was a puzzle to me, until I figured out how the circuits could work without insulators. It gets somewhat complex, and I am not...
  5. C

I assume that if you're using 1/8W resistors their weight is not going to be enough to throw off the balance of the axle-wheel set and cause problems. I think I have read that some use two resistors of half the required value, one on each wheel, so there is no imbalance. If one were going to...
  6. C

Hi; I am curious to know how many modelers use DCC and conductive wheel sets, and whether you modify your own rolling stock or buy the conductive wheel sets. Thanks for your input FW
  7. C

"Operator A is Down..."

I just heard that message on CSX while my radio was locked on 160.980, the road channel for the River Line. Just as UP2CSX described it. I was a bit anxious for a minute, expecting some sort of emergency transmission, but none came. There was no talk whatsoever in regards to any emergency, or...

Back