Search results

1. Gary B

Trains just stop running

Hello everyone. Anyone here who has read my occasional postings will know that I am more Modeler than Model Railroader. That said, I've never had a great running railroad. Given the extra time I now have due to current conditions, I thought it would be good to invest some of it in getting the...
  2. Gary B

Model Railroader Mag. Inspiration or Intimidation?

Hi guys. Just throwing this out for discussion. Am I the only one that gets the latest MR issue and instead of being inspired to build layouts like it always features, feel depressed I know I never will. Do you look at $100 cabooses and think that even if you could afford it you will never dish...
  3. Gary B

Show us your kit-bashed structures

After seeing the entries for Mark's (NP2626) recent contest, I thought it might be fun to start a continuing Showin' Off thread for structure bashes. No contest, just display your work. There was some great entries if not a lot of entries so now time is not an issue so let's see everyone's...
  4. Gary B

2018 Christmas Villages

It's that time of year again so I thought I would start a thread for all members to show off their Christmas themed villages or other decorative displays. Here's mine. It features the Bachmann On3 Trolley.
  5. Gary B

Some unique buildings

On my layout things are always subject to re-working. Here are two building I just completed fixing up. The Krispy Kreme Donuts shop started as the first floor of a City Scape Department store. The back side shop is spare parts. The apartment tower is what you get taking a Life-Like convenience...
  6. Gary B

The Addams Family

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've posted new work. I've been busy trying to find a new job after being 'retired' at the end of last year. But I did complete the Addams family House to go with my Pyscho and Munster Mansions. I'm still laying out the neighborhood but it's coming. For...
  7. Gary B

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to All

Yes, the best to all of you forum members and your loved one. Peace, Joy and the Best for the New Year.
  8. Gary B

Another off-topic Showoff

Since response seemed positive to my last ship post, I thought I would show another that I just repaired and cleaned up. A type called a Chebec, at 1/80th scale it's close to HO but being an 18th century Mediterranean vessel, hard to place on a layout. I was surprised how good a shape it was in...
  9. Gary B

WPF July 28 - Aug 3

Hey, you guys are late. I guess I'll start for the first time. Today a 2009 shot of my old lighthouse and some new shots of it's replacement. Pretty much out of box Walters kit. Also notice my new dam under the bridge. That's about as close to scratch building as I get.The Neenah Marine building...
  10. Gary B

Introducing, Plasticville Estates

Phase Two Construct now underway. These great new homes will be ready to move in by fall, 1960. I mentioned my idea of building the Plasticville series as I would have liked to have seen them as a kid. So this is the first section, Phase two of Plasticville Estates (Phase One will be...
  11. Gary B

Something tiny and something I did a few years ago.

I guess I'm on a roll. First the tinyest thing I think I ever did - A Jordon Cretor 1912 popcorn wagon. That was a real change for me. Then when I went to photogragh it I knew I had to do it by my Comet Roller Coaster. I wrote this up for Internet Modeler a few years back. Needs a good...
  12. Gary B

Walter's Fire Deptment Headquarters

With the great works you've all been posting around here lately, I humbly give you my take on this very nice kit. A gift from my wife, I have no place for it on my layout so for now it stands on it's own. I left the front doors off and added enough interior details so if one looks in its not an...
  13. Gary B

First decoder install - basic question

OK, I taking the plunge and putting a decoder in an Athrean GP38-2. This is the version that has the motor mounted with four screws. So do these screws ground the motor? It appears to me they would. So if true, I'll need to remove them, correct? So what's the best way to hold the motor in place...
  14. Gary B

More Old School Builds

Hey I'm back with some more Plasticville finds from the DuPage Show in October. Three more out of production buildings that ended up costing me $2 a piece. The Car Dealer the guy didn't even want o sell me because he could not figure out how it made a complete building. The road race pit stop...
  15. Gary B

Slightly off Topic Show off

If anyone has followed my various postings over the last few years, you may have noticed I don't confine my modeling only to the railroad and structures. Here's a little off topic build that I'm particularly proud off. (It's very close to N scale so it could be used as part of a layout) This is...
  16. Gary B

Old School Build

Well if Tyco and Plasticville is your idea of old school. Here's a re-build of a swap meet find of the old Plasticville bank in HO. (Can only get it in N now) A painted floor tile base, new signage, new windows, a little paint, some trim and there you have it. No contest winner but a fun project...
  17. Gary B

Flea Market finds

Yesterday DuPage County held their 'all-Nite Flea Market' event. Yes the same Fair Ground venue that holds their monthly Train Swap meet. But other than the lame celebrety autograghs and the late hours, the cool thing is this is not a model railroading event. That means that people showing up...
  18. Gary B

Munster's House in HO

Hey gang how's everyone doing? I posted the new Moebius Munster's House model when I got it for Christmas and now I have completed it. I have no place for it on my current layout but set it up across from the Pyscho House and a IHC victorian home to photograph. A nice, very well engineered kit...
  19. Gary B

Budget Rehab/reforesting project

Happy New Year everyone! Let me start the year showing off a current work in progress, rehabbing and reforesting a part of my layout. My one mountainous corner I have avoided touching as I try to bring the rest of the layout closer to completion. Well that has taken longer then I expected and...
  20. Gary B

Show Report - Trainfest Milwaukee

Today my son and I took the trek up to Milwaukee WI to 'Trainfest' I've never been there before and frankly never seen a train show of this size before. They said 60 layouts but I lost count Z- Standard. Cake plate to huge. Entertainment for the kids, vendors, and companies like Kalmbach...

Back