Search results

1. J

Dremel cut off wheels for cutting track

Looking for a good recommendation on cutoff wheels for a Dremel rotary tool for cutting gaps in track. Some of the ones I've tried have broken apart with the first touch to a rail - granted they were thin ones but thicker ones would give too big of a gap to my way of thinking. Online source if...
  2. J

Carstens Publishing and RMC

I see they now having digital versions of RMC. Liking the online version as the mailed versions have been way late these last few months (even before Sandy). I think I'm up for renewal but haven't gotten anything in the mail on it. I called earlier in the year to ask about that and was told...
  3. J

Aristocraft power supply

Looking for a replacement for my wife's 1/29 scale Aristocraft train power supply. The one that came with the set has given up the ghost. I never put the one she had on a scope to see what the output waveform looked like but I recall hearing something of a whine when the trains ran. I think it...
  4. J

Atlas forums registration

Tried searching the forum here but the search engine won't do a search (at least as far as I can tell) matching all words in a search term. Anyways, my question is: has anybody tried registering for the Atlas forums lately? I used to be registered there but haven't been there in a long time and...
  5. J

Jersey Valley Model Railroad Club - website?

Apparently the website for the Jersey Valley Model Railroad Club (the club that has it's layout in the basement of Kuser Farm Mansion in Hamilton Township, NJ) has lapsed or something because the new url of: http://auctions.bayerfamily.net/jvmrr.org/index.php while it has the opening page of the...
  6. J

Model Railroader mag forums

I've been trying to find some old threads over on Model Railroader's forums from way before the change to the newer forum look. I login over there although one doesn't have to to search the forums. I get one search in and then get a 503 error. Happened yesterday (Feb. 19) and happened again...
  7. J

Prototype for everything

You know the old saying that there's a prototype for everything? Well, I ran into something interesting while looking about on Google Earth. I used to work at US Steel's Fairless Works plant in Pennsy (I live across the river in Trenton, NJ). Got curious as to how things looked at the old plant...
  8. J

Removing glued down track

More properly: how do I remove an Atlas turnout (#6 HO code 83) that I have affixed to my layout with ballast? I use Elmer's white glue mixed 50-50 with water for gluing the ballast down. Ballast is Woodland Scenics. Cork roadbed. This is a turnout that's been down for years so getting it up...
  9. J

RIP Jim Boyd

Just read over on Facebook (this was posted about an hour ago) that Jim Boyd has passed away. Jim was editor of Railfan & Railroad from the beginning until in 1974 until 1998 and then editor emeritus until his passing. No more details at this time.
  10. J

Br&w #60

Anybody know what's up with Black River & Western #60? There used to be a button/link to click on to get news about how things were going with getting #60 back in steam and running on the BR&W site but that link is no more. When you clicked on the link there was a bunch of stuff on the loco as...
  11. J

Pacific Southern layout in NJ

Anybody know what's going on with the Pacific Southern layout in Rocky Hill, NJ? They used to have a website at http://www.pacificsouthern.org/ and now it seems to be gone. Nothing comes up on Google on it. I know they've been reworking the layout to go DCC after all these years and hadn't done...
  12. J

August RMC

Here we go again. Just when we all thought Carstens got their act together and RMC was arriving at least in the first couple days of the month of the month on the cover, here it is August 15 and I still haven't gotten my subscription issue. Haven't been out to a train shop or bookstore so I...
  13. J

RMC on time this month

When things go sideways I'll call someone on it; when they go good, I'll say something good about it. Well, got my July issue of RMC on Friday. Seems like they have gotten their stuff worked out. Probably would have gotten it a day or two earlier but the mail where I am in NJ is late compared to...
  14. J

Walthers & Lionel - what's up?

Has Walther's done what they did to LL/P2K and taken Lionel over as well? The last 2 monthly flyers I've gotten from the big W says they'll be selling Lionel product soon.
  15. J

Windows in Grimm's Funeral Home

I have a long-term project to be finished - the Downtown Deco Grimm's Funeral Home. I'm not doing it exactly like the box shows, but making some mods to it as I go, like any good kit-basher would. The reason it's taking me a long time is the tick-off factor of some of the assembly. Some days...
  16. J

RMC May issue?

Once more unto the breech! Last day of April and no May RMC. I wonder how long we'll be waiting this time? Probably a while considering the May cover isn't up on the website as of now.

Back