Search results

1. IronBeltKen

Centerline Track Cleaning Cars malfunctioning

I have some Centerline track cleaning cars that are giving me fits. The towel rollers only actually roll for a few seconds...then they just stop and drag. This wouldn't be a major problem if it weren't for the fact that they derail when the frozen roller snags the point rails on a turnout...
  2. IronBeltKen

Mechanizing a Walthers Rotary Dumper

I'm definitely not the first to attempt this - several others have successfully motorized the Walthers dumper and have the Youtube videos to prove it. Of course, all the ones I've seen up to now seem to be for the 1990's and later, where unit trains of identical-length Bethgons [equipped with...
  3. IronBeltKen

Needed: Rheostat designed for 12VDC use

I'm setting up a motor mechanism to spin a Walthers rotary coal dumper using twin 12VDC motors with reduction gears. Up to this point, I've tested the functionality of it by connecting the motors to a leftover MRC DC power pack that I use whenever I want to test DC locos that have been...
  4. IronBeltKen

Q: Adjusting the Walthers Traffic Light Controller Module

I'm hoping somebody on here has one of these, and can share some insight on it. I had this on my previous layout, but have not yet bothered to put it on my current one because I want to slow down the frequency of changing the light colors. When I had it on the first layout, the lights seemed...
  5. IronBeltKen

Any way to replace NJ International Crossing Signal LEDs?

I have this NJ International 'cantilever' gantry crossing signal with two of the LEDs no longer flashing. Is there any way the non-working LEDs can be replaced? It seems like they are soldered directly to the structure. Buying a complete replacement is out of the question, since they are no...
  6. IronBeltKen

Lead Loco in Consist Does Not Respond to Function Keys

...is it a hardware/software defect or a CV value that needs changed? (Hoping for the latter.) I have this Stewart F7-A unit in which I recently installed an ESU Loksound v5 Select Direct decoder, running on a layout powered by an NCE PH-Pro DCC system. By itself, the loco [with its Kato...
  7. IronBeltKen

The GP9 Model That Lured Me Back to the Hobby

As I was working to de-clutter my trainroom the other night, one of the containers I relocated had a long-misplaced Front Range GP9 that I’d decommissioned decades ago because, even though it looked pretty, it ran like crap. It got me reminiscing about a random event that ultimately led me back...
  8. IronBeltKen

One of the Hazards of Totally Finishing Your Layout...

...you get too much time on your hands: https://www.facebook.com/GuinnessWorldRecords/videos/463951568262255/
  9. IronBeltKen

Dullcote Dilemma

Hi all, I've got this Stewart F7 shell that I painted in a dark blue shade with Tamiya acrylic paints. After applying the base coat and letting it cure for a few weeks, I put on the decals. Since the Tamiya paint dries glossy, it is great for applying decals - they slide right on and blend in...
  10. IronBeltKen

A Question for Tamiya Acrylic Paint Experts

Hi all, my current project is to replicate a B&O F7A in the later Enchantment Blue/yellow trim paint scheme, the same colors used by its parent company C&O. The time period is 1969-72, so the paint during this period would appear faded from several years of sun and rain. Ever since...
  11. IronBeltKen

Q: Cal-Scale Detail Kits for Stewart/Bowser F Units - Are They Worth the Money?

I just learned that Detail Associates quit making the super-detailing kits for Stewart and Bowser F units. Everywhere I look for them, they are sold out. The only kits I see that are still available are the ones sold by Cal-Scale. My memories of Cal-Scale go back to the days when they sold a...
  12. IronBeltKen

Present-day (2021) Source for HO Rolling Stock Storage Boxes [?]

My freight car collection has been gradually growing over the past 18 months, and while I should have bought storage boxes from Spring Mills Depot while they still sold them, I "snoozed" - and now I lack containers for my new acquisitions. Can any of you tell me who is currently selling...
  13. IronBeltKen

Back-Dating A Pair of Atlas SIlver Series GP40-2's to Plain GP40's

Hello Forum denizens, I promised my friends in the Coffee Shop that I would write a separate thread about a project I've been working on-and-off over the past four months: Taking a pair of mothballed HO scale Atlas GP40-2's and kitbashing them into "dash-nothings", i.e., regular GP40's that I...
  14. IronBeltKen

Stripping an Atlas Loco Shell during a Pandemic

Hi gang, I have this Atlas Master series GP38 shell that came factory-painted for Family Lines - ...and I wish to strip away at least the striping and logo, if not the entire coat of gray paint. One thing that has always worked for me in the past is soaking the shell in 91% Isopropyl...
  15. IronBeltKen

Walthers Cornerstone Chain Link Fence Kit - Some Questions

Last January as I was contemplating buying this Walthers fencing kit from the ModelTrainStuff.com website, I glanced at the single review somebody had left about it - 3 stars out of five, with the cryptic comment: "As close to scratch building as it gets." That didn't faze me too much since...
  16. IronBeltKen

Anatomy of an Epic Scenery Fail

Grab a tall glass of your favorite beverage, this post is somewhat long-winded. You're all familiar with the cliche "two-steps-forward-one-step-backward", right? Well try this one on for size: fourteen (14) steps backward. That's right, two weeks' worth of scenery work had to be totally...
  17. IronBeltKen

Modeling Wheel Ruts on a Graded Gravel Industrial Lot

One of my lineside industries is a bulk cement wholesaler with three large concrete silos, receiving its product by rail, and distributing it locally by truck. The trucks drive thru the bottoms of the structures [similar to a flood loader], entering at one end, loading up, and exiting the other...
  18. IronBeltKen

Setting Up a WiFi Network on a Hand-me-down Laptop

I just received a refurbished Dell laptop with Windows XP and JMRI 4.17.2 on it, to use exclusively in my layout room. The JMRI software is fully installed and functional, now I want set it up with my NCE system so people can use their smartphones as throttles. The friend who gave it to me said...
  19. IronBeltKen

Western Maryland in the Early 1970's

A group of us - Alan G., Keith A., Al P. and myself - were invited by Dave Hughes of Glyndon, MD, to tour his double-deck layout based on the Western Maryland Railway circa 1972. We were all totally amazed by the perfectly-replicated landmarks of the WM right-of-way; detailed structures and...
  20. IronBeltKen

LifeLike P2K SD7 Shell on a Walthers Chassis: Epilogue

This is a continuation of a thread I posted in early September [http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/proto2000-sd7-sd9-body-shells-before-vs-after-walthers.30626/] regarding the possibility of directly swapping the shell of a Walthers P2K HO scale SD9 with a shell from an...

Back