Search results

1. J

Digitrax BDL168 problems?

I'm working with a Digitrax BDL168 on my test layout and intend to use it for detection but am having some problems. Here is a discription of my hardware and software conections. Digitrax DCS50, UR92, BDL168, DS64, UT4D, RR-Cirkits Loco Buffer-USB, one Tortoise, and JMRI running on a Windows...
  2. J

Weekly Photo Fun 8-13/8-20

I guess I get to start?
  3. J

Amtrak FP45?

Did I see an announcement that Athearn was going to do an Amtrak SDP40F? Or am I imagining things?
  4. J

44 tonner project

I have to start by saying I’m a sucker for switchers. The odd, small, center cab, end cab, I guess it doesn’t really matter, I like them all. My fascination with the GE center cab started when MR ran a series of articles in the mid ‘80’s on the Arcade and Attica. The orange and black little...
  5. J

Wabash F7

I'm looking for one, anyone know where to order one from? http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATHG22306
  6. J

Distracted by other era models

I have been working on my HO scale Wabash RR Columbia Branch for about three years now and have done a pretty good job of not getting distracted, until recently. My layout is set in the early fall of 1963, I have been very careful to not make purchases that don’t fit this time frame, give or...
  7. J

Grain Loading

I am building a grain elevator for my Wabash Columbia Branch layout and am looking for some shots of the part of these structures that actually loaded the rail cars. I have an aerial shot of the facility but I can’t make out the detail of the loader. My time period is 1963 and this was a fairly...
  8. J

The 2rail O scale bug.

I have always been a HO modeler but with all the great products Atlas has introduced in their O scale line I’m getting the itch to build a small O scale layout. Dose anyone have any links to 2 rail, scale O scale layouts I can look at for inspiration?
  9. J

Thanks Giving Weekend Photo Fun 11-27/11-30

Wow! I guess I get to start. First attempt at static grass. I think I need more static. Still working on mocking up this scene. And I have this unit I'm going tobe offering up for sale.
  10. J

BLI Blueline and DCC

I have a BLI Blue Line SD-9 that I have put a Digitrax decoder in the DCC plug. I am having trouble getting the sound decoder and motor decoder set right. I know this has been covered before but couldn’t find it. Anyone have step by step directions on doing this?
  11. J

sound for an Atlas GP7

I have two Atlas GP7 that are DCC ready. I installed a Digitrax decoder and all was well. Now I want sound, any suggestions on what decoder to switch to? What about mounting the speaker?
  12. J

Along time ago in MR?

A long time ago, I'm thinking early '70's I remember an article that was about some Santa Fe street trackage in an industrial area. Just about all the trackage was in the pavement of the streets. The article had a number of pictures, all of them black and white I think. I think it was part of...
  13. J

BLI Blueline SD9 running bad

I picked up a BLI Blueline SD9 with sound on Friday. It runs " jerky" and the sound turns off after a few minutes of running. I'm running it on DC and plan to switch to DCC very soon. Is this just part of running a sound loco on DC and these problems will go away with DCC or is something wrong...
  14. J

Digitrax Challenger upgrade?

I was going to buy a new Digitrax starter set but I ran across an old Challenger set consisting of a DB100a command station/booster unit and a CT4 hand-held throttle at a sale. I would like to upgrade to a DT400 throttle. Can I do this? Will it work with my command station? I want to do this so...
  15. J

MRC or Digitrax

I'm to the point I can start running trains and am ready to install a dcc system. I'm looking at the MRC Prodigy Advanced2 or the Digitrax Super Empire Builder. My layout is relatively small and simple but I have one thing I want to be able to do. A train with two units comes to a junction...
  16. J

Columbia, Mo. 1963

Here are some shots of the first train to run on my layout depicting the Wabash RR Columbia branch that ran from Centralia to Columbia Mo. My layout is set in the fall of 1963. Some of the track work is still temporary, I'm still making adjustment so the structure will fit. The track layout...
  17. J

Plywood or foam?

L girder and plywood, or foam? What are you using? Why? If your using foam what do you use under it for support? I'm going to build a 2 x 4 diorama to try out both and test my track laying skills. Do those of you that live in humid climates have trouble with wood moving around throughout the...
  18. J

What brand of track and why?

I am working on my plan for a new layout and wanted to see what brand of track every one liked and why. I have some Atlas code 83 stuff I bought a few years ago. I was looking at these turnouts and I think they look cheap. My main consern is how the points fit up to the stock rails. Looks like...
  19. J

My first post

I’ve been lurking in the background for while. I thought I’d share my ideas for a new layout and get some feedback. I’ve been around trains most of my life. My dad was and still is an avid railfan and photographer. I spent the first twenty years of my life chasing trains around the midwest...

Back