Search results

1. S

Foam Question

Cork or foam roadbed Or, you could use the foam roadbed. Either will glue to the foamboard without problems. Just use pins to keep it in place until the glue dries. I use Elmers white glue as it makes it much easier to pull up to reposition or repair even if the track has also been placed down.
  2. S

Any other TT scale modelers out there?

TT Information website As I am on my workplace computer I had to do some looking-up to get the info I needed for this post. Most of the TT information can be found here www.TTscale.com as its' menu will take you to magazines, retail shops, history, etc. There are a couple small mfgrs here in...
  3. S

Foam Question

Working foamboard Hello. The foamboard photos above (page three) are my second layout of this type. First one was a 'concept' layout fully working but no scenery. That one was 'painted' with a thin slurry of plaster and dark colored water. Made the foam surface rather hard. Can still carve thru...
  4. S

Help with my first layout

Take the time to make a model to scale. Graph paper printed onto cardstock at your UPS store blown up to largest paper they have is a great way to start. I too read somewhere to do that and did and really got a better idea of what I would have when actual costruction started. Besides, those...
  5. S

Layout Heigth

Bob, your post summed it up really well. Now that the topic has been broached, perhaps the newcomers will consider layout heigth along with the other 'normal' factors one has to deal with. Perhaps the other family members will set the heigth as there is needed storage space as the layout uses up...
  6. S

Layout Heigth

Your points well taken. My layout is for standing operation also. Base track 40" with track climbing another 2" so it is real comfortable for viewing the rolling stock. I had my latest layout (foamboard base) at a lower heigth to start but didn't like the topside view so brought it up to its...
  7. S

Reconfigurable track benchwork?

Foamboard and foam roadbed Foam roadbed will white glue to foamboard real easily (see my N Scale foamboard pictures in N Scale forum) Track is easily taken up from either by sliding a razor knife under it in a 'sawing' manner, or take up the track/roadbed as one and seperate them later. I have...
  8. S

Layout Heigth

Hello all. Have been reading this forum for the past several months and have found little/no mention of layout heigth / reach length. I'm am a senior (old fart?) so reach and layout heigth are important to me as I can't climb over-under as well as I once could. If the layout is too high one...
  9. S

Any other TT scale modelers out there?

Just posted a reply in the N scale forum and mentioned my TT 'door layout' that was put aside while I worked on my newer N scale foamboard layout. The Rokal equipment, being older (late 60's early 70's) still runs well and the all sectional track in good condition. I plan to 'foamboard' this...
  10. S

Back into the hobby

Ahhh, someone else who has started/stopped/started with model RR'ing. Started my N scale RR only after putting my Rokal TT gauge flat door layout away for "a season". Now just starting to think about the TT layout as my N scale is well under way with all systems operating. The TT RR will be...
  11. S

My hoist away garage layout beginnings

Great idea - use what ya'got. Those eye hooks will disappear under either a movable building or just behind some bush. Thanks for the pictures.
  12. S

extruded foam help needed

More elsewhere here in the forum. Bead&Steel. You might want to navigate to the N Scale part of this forum and see several more shots of this layout - track now down and everything operates. That too, is under a foam question. Four stars mark this particular thread.
  13. S

Foam Question

And a second batch of photos Faom sandwich at max thickness is 4.5" Foam roadbed w/sectional track for large main line curves and flex track all other places.
  14. S

Foam Question

Scootermon's foamboard RR Thought I'd better post some specific pictures of my layout. N Scale, 34" by 8ft shelf layout.
  15. S

extruded foam help needed

Pink or blueboard vs foamboard Just a couple cents worth on this thread. Here is a picture of my ,then just started, all foamboard layout. Track is now layed and tested and all is working out well. It is a 34" by 8ft size and will eventually be placed into a cabinet over a long bookcase...
  16. S

Foam Question

All Foam N scale Here is a shot of my N Scale 34" by 8ft "shelf Railroad. Thickest portion of the foam 'sandwich' is 4.75". Very easy to carve, sculpt, repair, etc. I will be placing the layout into a fold down cabinet over a long bookcase sometime this spring. Layout now has the track layed...
  17. S

Foam differences

The availability of foamboard must be a regional - geographic problem as here in the Milwaukee area that is the most popular item. Could be the weather extreems that call for foamboard over the beadboard? My entire N Scale layout is built using 2", 1" and 1/2" pinkboard. Great stuff to work...
  18. S

The Return of the D&J Railroad

Have enjoyed following your thinking on this matter. Builders foam can be gotten at any building supply store. Home Depot, Loews, Menards, etc. One can get almost any thickness desired. I am using this material currently and it is a blast to work with. Two inch foamboard for the base thickness...
  19. S

Thnking of N scale!

It can be very inexpensive, depending on how one starts and the pace one wants to take. An engine and several cars (8-10), some siding and mainline track with some Fiddlers Green paper 'buildings' and one can set up model RRding rather rapidily. Then, as one progresses, start 'real' scenery...
  20. S

first time layout

New layout Voodoo, make a copy of each and every trackplan you come up with. I've a collection from many years back and it is sometimes worthwhile to review these 'history' files. This may be your first but it will not be your last and it is very interesting looking back on how a trackplan...

Back