Search results

1. ssw9662

My LHS

I guess I'm pretty lucky, since I have a hobby shop less than five minutes from my house, and another one ten minutes away. There are also two more good ones within an hour. I'll visit them whenever I know of something that I want to buy, and I'll just go on Ebay if I can't find what I want at...
  2. ssw9662

Real Train Operation Speeds

Here in the Northeastern US, the typical speed limit from main line freights is between 40 and 50 miles per hour. On branch lines it is usually about 25 MPH, and on yard and industrial tracks the speed limit is generally 15 MPH.
  3. ssw9662

In Celebration of the CSX.

Not really. ;) :cool:
  4. ssw9662

How do you like your locomotives?

Detailed/Plain: I don't usually go out of the way to detail every last part of my engines, but it's nice to have some detail. Weathered/Undec: Very slightly weathered for me. Just enough to dull the colors a bit goes a long way IMHO. RTR/Kit/Scratch Built/Bashed: I prefer RTR engines, I always...
  5. ssw9662

What Railroad, era, and location???

In HO scale I model CSX in the mid 1990's through the early 2000's. I currently don't have an HO layout but I run my trains at the local model railroad club. In N scale I model Conrail in the 80's and 90's in the northeast (My layout is not really set in any particular area).
  6. ssw9662

Reflecting on 2006, how was it for you

It's been a pretty good year for me. I haven't done too much with my layout but I rejoined the local model railroad club so now I'm getting into HO Scale a bit. Also, I got a digital camera this year so now I can take much better model railroad photos.
  7. ssw9662

Prototypical Kitbash

Nice catch! Here's one of my photos of a six axle slug that was rebuilt from an SD40.
  8. ssw9662

Thanksgiving Weekend Photo Fun

Here's a Conrail Freight in the early morning light on my N scale layout.
  9. ssw9662

Add one line to the story per post.

layout, where it began...
  10. ssw9662

Add one line to the story per post.

However, in the toilet bowl there was a cat
  11. ssw9662

Some weathering help needed

EDIT: Nevermind I figured it out.
  12. ssw9662

"NEW" Proto-weathered thread...

1: I love the stark contrast of the rust on this one. 2: A neat looking airslide hopper painted for GATX but with SOO reporting marks. 3: Southern hopper. You can never have enough of these. 4: A TIMX molten sulphur tankcar with yellow streaks down the side.
  13. ssw9662

"NEW" Proto-weathered thread...

A bunch of shots I've taken over the last few months... 1: A CN over Conrail boxcar with Penn Central fading through on the top. 2: A white tanker with an overall dirty look to it. I love those two grey "splashes" on the bottom. 3: HPJX over UP. 4: Sabine River & Northern ex-Marinette...
  14. ssw9662

There's a prototype for everything...

This is for all you guys who buy blank data only freight cars and never get the time to apply reporting marks to them. (The real reason behind the lack of reporting marks is the fact that the car is connected to another car by way of a drawbar)
  15. ssw9662

Photos with my new camera

Thanks guys! Ken: I took the photos in the manual mode that allows me to set the aperature and shutter speed. I also changed the white balance a bit to get the look I wanted. Though the camera technically is a point and shoot, it has plenty of features you'd find on SLR's. The star effect on...
  16. ssw9662

Photos with my new camera

I got these shots the other day with my new camera (Fuji Finepix S5200). It is definitely the best camera I have ever used for model railroad photos. Enjoy!
  17. Speed Blur

Speed Blur

Same shot as 1028, but once again I had my brother move the train while I did the photography. Fuji Finepix S5200, f/8, ISO 400, 15 second shutter speed.
  18. SD80MAC at Night

SD80MAC at Night

A Kato SD80MAC at night. Fuji Finepix S5200, f/8, ISO 400/ 15 second shutter speed.
  19. CR Blur shot

CR Blur shot

The same shot as 1026 but the train is moving slowly (I had my brother move the train while I took the photo). Fuji Finepix S5200, f/3.5, ISO 64, 1.5 second shutter speed.
  20. Popping out of the tunnel

Popping out of the tunnel

A Conrail B23-7 heading out of the tunnel. Fuji Finepix S5200, f/8, ISO 64, 8 second exposure

Back