Search results

1. C&OMtnMan

Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

Defiantly reflective, huh? “I’m reflective, dammit!!” “I’m flashy and shiny and you clowns can’t do JACK about it!!!” “Yeah, I make things all bright at night, try to stop me!!!” Nope, I don’t get it.
  2. C&OMtnMan

Asphalt Roadway Paint

Looks like you were conscious even of pavement joints and crowned road surface considerations. Very nice.
  3. C&OMtnMan

Asphalt Roadway Paint

Mind you, what I did was for N scale; your sig suggests you’re working in HO, so the resulting texture might be too fine to suit you.
  4. C&OMtnMan

Does this mean you’ll be airbrushing oil paints, then? If so, I will be keenly interested in your learnings.
  5. C&OMtnMan

Asphalt Roadway Paint

Double-post
  6. C&OMtnMan

Asphalt Roadway Paint

Yeah, I did; otherwise I wouldn’t suggest it.
  7. C&OMtnMan

Asphalt Roadway Paint

I would suggest you find a textured gray spray can of Rustoleum ir Krylon. Get a plausible road texture at least price. Get the acrylics for washes for achieving final surface colors, grease streak, skid marks, etc.
  8. C&OMtnMan

Not to worry, you didn’t keep me up late!
  9. C&OMtnMan

Weathering Engines a Continuous thread.

At a 50-mile round trip to for me to get some driving my Tundra, Amazon’s price doesn’t look so bad. And the hour and a half time taken up in the procuring, also tip the scales.
  10. C&OMtnMan

I just go the Amazon route.
  11. C&OMtnMan

Man, with my models being N scale, a sandwich bag, or even a snack bag in some cases, should suffice. I wonder if painting the window glass over with Tamiya gloss clear (X-22?) would give back a reasonable gloss? Thanks for the breakdown!
  12. C&OMtnMan

Early stages of planning

If it is not poor form to suggest another forum, I would like to recommend Trainboard.com, specifically the N scale section, where there is an active thread from an N scale modeler, making NASCAR Transporters and trucks for display on his layout, and decals are a component of that discussion...
  13. C&OMtnMan

You know, I do, too. I really do! Looks like I forgot to rub off the spray haze from the window on the door at the nose of the cab. Different but closely related subject: How do you (or CAN someone) successfully “start over” a job that has been sealed already? I did it once (two cars in a...
  14. C&OMtnMan

Ok, Finished the third engine, and achieved the fade effect I wanted. Without further ado: I added more of the Vallejo Deep Blue, until the mixture was a “Petty Blue.” (It was more of a “sky blue” before.) Not knowing how much old mixture I had, I don’t know the total ratios. Did not add...
  15. C&OMtnMan

I’m basing my determination of the level of fade I want from both photography and what I remember seeing by eye. These ET44 GEVOs aren’t that old, with #977 delivered in 2011, and the other two in 2015. Iooked at photos of the engines, and also general photos of engines running on the New River...
  16. C&OMtnMan

One more thing: The truth is, when it comes to the diesel oil over flow streaking, I forgot to my ention I actually like the result, the flat over the gloss tones it down to a semi-gloss, which to me is a more accurate depiction of spilled diesel oil down the side of a tank than a high gloss...
  17. C&OMtnMan

The rear plow: I tell you what, those make-up cables on the STX are very small stuff. Base flat coat and final sealing wash Dullcote from a bottle, thinned about 0.8 to 1. FOR FILING IN THE “WHAT I LEARNED” DEPARTMENT ARCHIVE: I don’t have to thin things nearly as much, except for washes...
  18. C&OMtnMan

“Let’s get down to the main attraction, With a little less talk, and a lot more action…” Ok, I’m going to try to be less wordy and leave the talking to the photos, and stop to talk only about what I did different with this engine, or what I learned in the weathering of it. The promised picture...
  19. C&OMtnMan

This one is the BLI, but I do have the first Scaletrains in the works, so we’ll see. I did get this one working today. I noticed it would stay powered for several minutes at a time while sitting still, and even make sound, but not move. I did another decoder reset, and got to where it would...
  20. C&OMtnMan

Of course now, I just have to get the infernal thing to run again. The airbrushing has gotten acrylic and dullcote onto the contacts. This happened a few weeks ago, and I got it all running again. The electrical connection was so blinky at that time, that I had to reset the decoder. But I...

Back