Search results

1. GEXR

DCC capable hi-nose GP9 in CP livery?

Yea, the P2K came up in my searches. How well do they run? They look to be very well-detailed models. However, I have read about some P2K models that do not resemble the prototypes. Do these models have specific details based on what road they are painted for or are they all the same? Do...
  2. GEXR

DCC capable hi-nose GP9 in CP livery?

Hello all, I am looking for a hi-nose GP9 in HO to use on minimum 18" curves. It can be either tuscan and grey or action red with the multi-mark. Does anyone know of or have experience with a reliable and detailed high-nose GP9 that I could one day use with DCC? Hopefully one with 8...
  3. GEXR

Best Hobby Shops on the Web

Thanks for your help bigB and galaxy. I think I will order my track and some structures from them. I emailed them today regarding a minimum order and they said there are no restrictions except if you spend $60 or less there is a $6 handling fee and all orders are subject to a minimum $9.95 fee...
  4. GEXR

Best Hobby Shops on the Web

Ordered from wholesaletrains.com? I haven't heard any testimonials for www.wholesaletrains.com. I have compared prices on several items and they consistently come in the cheapest. Has anyone ordered from them? Also, does anyone have a favourite Canadian online store?
  5. GEXR

CN F-3a project

Great work! You've really brought this loco to life. The trucks look very sharp. I noticed that there are no MU hoses on the front. Were the F3's not designed to accommodate additional units coupled to the front? Also, what is the purpose of the coupler cut bar? On an unrelated note, I...
  6. GEXR

4x8 HO Layout Idea - What do you think?

Thanks for the replies. The curves are minimum 18" with Atlas #4 Customline turnouts and there are no grades. I tried to fit #6 turnouts for the points coming off the mainline but they just wouldn't fit! Some things may change but for now the design is conceptual. Admittedly, the...
  7. GEXR

4x8 HO Layout Idea - What do you think?

Hello all, I know a few of you will cringe at the thought of yet another 4x8 design, so just consider this an 8x4! The top half is rural with one/two wooden grain elevators to be surrounded with wheat fields. The bottom is a small downtown with some small industries. The positioning of...
  8. GEXR

(MLW) RS-23 or (GMD) GMD1 in HO?

Thanks everyone. I figured these two uncommon Canadian-built units may not be popular enough to justify regular production. It is too bad; the GMD1 is a pretty interesting character. The Overland model in the green and yellow is a beauty. It must be out of production because it is not...
  9. GEXR

(MLW) RS-23 or (GMD) GMD1 in HO?

Hello all, does anyone know if these two diesels have been/are in production in HO? Thanks! RS-23 GMD1
  10. GEXR

>>Canadian grain box cars<<

Perfect, thanks for the detailed info Chris. That is extremely helpful in deciding which cars to pick up. Finding appropriate cars will be easier than I predicted. Thanks for all the advice, everyone.
  11. GEXR

Thanks guys, I think I have decided how to approach this! It appears that the Athearn grain box cars have specialized doors. It almost looks like there are small hatches at the top of the door, perhaps for ease of loading. This would eliminate the need to cooper the car with grain doors. Am...
  12. GEXR

Thanks for the reply! Sorry, I forgot to mention HO was the scale. I considered using decals but the problem is I don't know where to find decals that imitate what was shown on the cars. Decals may be even more difficult to find than the cars. Trains Canada doesn't sell their decals...
  13. GEXR

Hello all, I have been looking for manufacturers of the grain boxes used by CP and CN to haul grain before they were replaced by covered hoppers. As far as I know not many companies build models of these cars. Athearn offers this: http://www.athearn.com/ProdInfo/ATH/450/ATH71967-450.jpg...
  14. GEXR

My newest attempt at a 4x8 HO layout

Mike - I like your idea for the steep slope o the retaining wall. I picture a small alley behind the downtown buildings to facilitate car access for employees into the rear entrances, so I think I retaining wall would be needed. I work for a shoring contractor so I am sure I could have some...
  15. GEXR

layout with interchange Here is the layout with the interchange. The position of the pair of turnouts was based on a few hypothetical operational situations. How does it look in terms of function? Is it a true-to-life way to construct an interchange? I could also put an interchange in under...
  16. GEXR

I do like the idea of manual throws. I don't really like the look of the electric switching machines. Can I just take the machines off the turnouts and replace them with the manuals? I also may use flex track for some of the straight portions, however, would it not be easier to use the curve...
  17. GEXR

First of all, thanks for all the advice regarding my first attempt that, in retrospect, missed the mark completely. I feel that I have learned much since then. This layout features a large yard and yard lead that are completely off the mainline. I exchanged the roundhouse for a 2-stall...
  18. GEXR

Removing old solder from rails

Thanks everyone for the info. I picked up a roll of the solder wick and it works great for lifting most of the old solder. I almost picked up one of the little vacuum type units but it had plastic tips which would need regular replacement. As far as I know, plastic and heat should not go...
  19. GEXR

Removing old solder from rails

I have recently acquired a lot of used HO snap track that had been connected using rail joiners and solder. There is a lot of turnouts and 18" curve sections that I would like to salvage and use/sell. I have separated all of the track sections by breaking the rail joiners in half. Now, I...
  20. GEXR

Please critique my 4x8' HO layout plan

Thanks Chip. Your guide was very informative. I am downloading the new Atlas RTS now and I should soon have a new design to post.

Back