Search results

1. catnippertom

Quick Loco Identification

I am just looking for a quick loco identification for my classification purposes. I have a good idea of what they are but I wanted to confirm with the "experts" in the field. The first pic is all Athearn and the second is a crappy Bachmann. I don't need help identifying the caboose😂 I just...
  2. catnippertom

Any tips on cracked gears?

I have these two sets of drive wheels that have gears attached to them. They are both from different locos(bachmann and lifelike) that have the same issue. They end up just spinning when the motor moves them making the wheels not move. I bet this is a common issue but I'm just curious to how...
  3. catnippertom

3D Modeling MAX Lightrail

Well, I have gotten back into learning a bit of CAD again. I finally took the plunge and did a few lessons on FreeCAD to get used to the program. I thought it would be fun to share the progress of what I picked up CAD for. For my PNW people, I am trying to model the Type 2/3 MAX cars. I'll...
  4. catnippertom

Water Modeling: Help Wanted

I have been documenting my adventures in building my layout(Here) and I have gotten to a point where I want to start attempting to model some water on my small layout. Here you can see the section that I want to model and the inspiration for the section. I have about 7 or so bottles of...
  5. catnippertom

Athearn PA Repair Help

I mentioned a while ago in the "What are you buying this month" thread that I purchased a set of daylight cars with an Athearn Alco PA unit with it. The engine has been giving me some trouble. It seems to stutter quite a bit. I have run other locos on my layout and they seem to run fine but this...
  6. catnippertom

Athearn F7a Repair Help Needed

I recently snatched this SP F7a unit from my local train store. A few weeks prior I bought the b unit not knowing they had the A unit so once I saw it, I had to snag it. It was $25 which I thought was a good deal for what I assumed was a running loco. The loco did indeed run but only for a...
  7. catnippertom

New Haven #121 Budd RDC to WES #1711

This is my first attempt a creating a custom loco. This is the second locomotive I have purchased since coming into the hobby and I am a bit nervous about creating a custom loco but I think I have to start somewhere. So far I have masked off a lot of the body so I can spray-paint the white on...
  8. catnippertom

The College Kid Layout Building Saga

I created this thread in order to kinda continue what was going on in the first thread I made about purchasing my new HO Scale Lionel GS-4 Daylight 4454(link to it here). I got some grief about running my loco on the carpet of my small apartment so I caved and got some 20" x 30" poster board...
  9. catnippertom

My First HO Loco

I was at my local train store and stumbled upon a Lionel HO SP Daylight GS-4 4454 and decided to bite the bullet and get my first loco. I bought an Atlas code 100 starter set and a Kato powerpack SX. The people at the shop kindly soldered the powered rail joiners to the power output so I could...
  10. catnippertom

Making Custom TriMet Locomotives

I am pretty new to the model railroading hobby and I am looking into creating some custom locomotive shells through Shapeways or a similar thing like that. I have been searching for a while for models of some locomotives that are local to me and none seem to exist even through custom models. The...
  11. catnippertom

Is the full version of SCARM worth it?

I'm thinking about shelling out the money for the full version of SCARM but it is a hefty price for it. To the people that do have the full version, is it worth it? Are there other programs out there that allows one to build a layout AND run trains on it like SCARM? Are there other programs that...
  12. catnippertom

New Layout Plan Drawings

I was just doing some doodling on MS paint trying to figure out what kind of layout I would ultimately want to do. As a younger kid, I was always fond of the railroad that traveled close to our beach condo. The Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad is a very cool railway and I decided that this was my...
  13. catnippertom

N Scale Return Loop

I am fairly new to the model railroad hobby but I want to help with some Loop designs. I am working in SCARM trying to figure out perfect return loops without using flex track. Below I have included the loops with they key enlarged. It took me a while to figure these out and I hope they are...

Back