Search results

1. DakotaLove39

Icing Docks

Hey guys, I'm searching for a prototype. My club has this double-track overhead icing dock, and our recently instated scenery man has it in his head that it doesn't look right. I swear I have seen an icing platform like this one,; I'm just not sure where. Can anyone help?
  2. DakotaLove39

Mehano/IHC GG1, DCC?

Hey guys. I am in the process of resurrecting my club's motive power. Although the layout was changed to DCC ten years ago, no one ever gave the club's custom painted locos a new life until I came along. That said, we have this Mehano GG1.. and being that we are supposed to have overhead wire...
  3. DakotaLove39

Athearn Blue Box Switchers

Hey guys. I have a custom-painted Blue Box SW1200 shell, done up as MN&S 31. I was hoping to fit it to a SW1500 RTR frame, but it's looking like a lot of sanding, grinding and fitting to pull that off. Fortunately I have an old Blue Box switcher frame, and it looks like the RTR trucks will fit...
  4. DakotaLove39

Milwaukee Road Heritage Center, Montevideo, MN

Hey folks. This week has been Fiesta Days in Montevideo, MN, and as such the town's MILW museum and model railroad club were wide open to be seen. I made a two-hour trip for this and I was not let down! The model railroad club occupies a room about 25x15, and is sort of an HO scale folded...
  5. DakotaLove39

Mating rail to trestle deck

Hey guys. I've hit a snag on my module. I am currently at this point. I have my Code 83 flex-track cut to about 2', and I have removed a big chunk of the ties to accomodate this bridge deck. I'm using the Walther's wooden trestle plastic kit. I have absolutely no idea what glue I should use...
  6. DakotaLove39

Model Railroad Club Operations; Do you have personal rules?

This may get difficult to follow. I apologize if so. I say that because I got some weird looks at my club in regard to this topic. For you guys who are or were in clubs, do you have your own personal rules to follow during operation? In my case I'm a die-hard Milwaukee Road guy in a club whose...
  7. DakotaLove39

Username change

Hello, I've had this account for about 12 years at this point. At the time of its creation, my username was a quick throwaway one I had been using on video games. I'd like to change it to something a little more relevant to my interests in this decade. How can I do that?
  8. DakotaLove39

Advice needed, Paper/card bridge repair

Hey guys. I got myself in trouble by noticing some damage that had been done to a bridge on our club layout. It was constructed by a local legend modeler who is a friend of our club. Unfortunately it's developing some wear and tear from people trying to work around it, or de-railing on it. The...
  9. DakotaLove39

Future layout ideas

Hello fellas. What would you reccomend for a guy to use in order to play with ideas for a future layout? I don't know when it can happen, I just know I have concepts in mind now. Do you like the CAD type programs, or something else?
  10. DakotaLove39

Lumber mill, rustic enginehouse, input needed!

Working on this area of my club's lumber mill. Any ideas for what should go near the rock face at the top of the image? I'm thinking it's meant for the inbound logs, as the other side of the mill has the cut boards. The storage houses for fresh lumber are to the right of this image, but I think...
  11. DakotaLove39

Scenery help, guides & layout dusting!

Could anyone refer me to good scenery guides or resources to learn from? I want to start learning for the sake of my club. I'm a former wargamer, so I'm not new to doing scenery stuff but I am long out of practice. My club is at a point of re-imagining itself, kind of. Some events have...
  12. DakotaLove39

Track Cleaning, as seen in Model Railroad Hobbyist

Hey folks, This is a subject I keep seeing pop up on social media, and we kind of touched on it here in a very exciting thread from a guy named Hal. I'm not here to tell anyone how to do anything. I'm not here to criticize how you're cleaning your track. I'm here to provide MRH's summary and...
  13. DakotaLove39

Locomotive, Train & Layout information, how to store & sort

Hey guys, A little preface, I am now three years into serious model railroading. Milwaukee Road in the 1970's is my focus. I can't yet build a home layout, but the ideas are starting to roll. So I'd like some advice from the older and more experienced crowd. I'm at the point where I feel like...
  14. DakotaLove39

Clubber opinions needed, "Car Department"?

Hey guys. I've made many mentions that I am in the unusual position of being in two HO scale clubs. The first one is very old, going back to the late 1970's, and has not done a very good job of staying current with today's philosophies and technology. The second is much younger and far more...
  15. DakotaLove39

North Metro MRRC

I have this video posted in my 'Showin off' thread, but as it's a virtual tour why not share it here also. This is one of two HO scale clubs I belong to, located in Coon Rapids, MN. I did this tour specifically for the Milwaukee Road Modelers facebook group, so there is a definite orange bias.
  16. DakotaLove39

Hennepin Overland, RHS. Minneapolis, MN.

Hey folks, just want to post a little plug for an HO scale RHS club in Minneapolis, MN. If you are, or know anyone near there, we are looking for new members! I've been super busy making new video content for our YouTube. We're a non-profit organization that opens as a museum for the public on...
  17. DakotaLove39

Project Log: Lionel HO Freedom Train

Thanks to the power of Facebook marketplace I'm the happy owner of one of a classic Lionel HO American Freedom Train set. I acquired it without a box, with #4449 as the motive power but only with four cars (Official set with 4449 had five). I'm not too bothered by this at the moment, but I have...
  18. DakotaLove39

Operation: Car cards vs Switch Lists & RailPro(?)

Hey folks. I want to start this thread with explaining my situation. I am a member of a club which has a very mixed bag of members. We operate a layout in that is meant to be on display for John Q. Public to come in and see on the weekends, so 90% of the membership just runs whatever they want...
  19. DakotaLove39

1970's appropriate tanker cars

After some very helpful answers about Piggyback and autorack cars of the 1970's, I'm back to ask about tankers. I don't have a single tanker car in my 1970's era pool. What type am I looking for?
  20. DakotaLove39

HO scale locomotive number boards

Hey folks. I believe once read a short guide somewhere about making number boards for locos using nothing but printer paper and white glue, but I can't find anything about it. The number boards on my FP45 are very prominent and since all my other Milwaukee engines have actual number boards I...

Back