Search results

1. jdetray

HO Scale Tubing question/s

Not in HO scale, Carol. To convert a real-world dimension to HO scale, simply divide by 87. So . . . 12"/87 = 0.137" (to the nearest 1/1000") Therefore, in HO scale, you could use 1/8" (0.125") tubing to represent a 12" pole. The 1/8" tubing would be slightly undersized, but I doubt if anyone...
  2. jdetray

Mounting Circuit Boards under the layout

Here's mine. This is the central bay on the bottom of my small N-scale layout. The whole layout is hinged so it can tilt up, and I can work on the wiring without crawling around under the layout. The wiring is carefully color-coded so despite not looking real neat, it's easy to work on...
  3. jdetray

Full Size Paper Templates of Trackplan

Strange. Both of those search terms worked for me. This thread was the top search result for either of the search terms. - Jeff
  4. jdetray

Tam Valley Octopus III servo speed control

So sad to hear about Duncan's health problems. I was an early adopter of Tam Valley servo products, and Duncan was extremely patient and helpful in answering my questions. - Jeff
  5. jdetray

USA Power Supply For Faller Midway Rides

Hi Don - According to the Faller website, the #140433 Karussell Dschungel Train requires 12-16 V AC (not DC). So be sure you look for a AC power source. For the # 140418 Geisterbahn Daemonium, the Faller site recommends their 180641 Transformer. It has outputs of 16 VAC, 12 VDC, and 5VDC. It...
  6. jdetray

To ballast or not to ballast......

Both Amazon and Walmart sell 70% and 91% isopropyl alcohol. - Jeff
  7. jdetray

What's the best substrate for a new layout?

That was exactly what I had in mind, though I may never get around to it! Here's one possible expansion that I've considered, with the existing layout in the lower right corner. Apologies for getting a bit off-topic, but I think good layout planning should keep expansion in mind. - Jeff
  8. jdetray

What's the best substrate for a new layout?

Hi Mark - Welcome aboard! I have a small N-scale layout, but I have seen HO layouts that use a similar construction. The layout is constructed on top of a simple open frame. For the sub-roadbed, I start with a layer of thin plywood on the bottom followed by a layer of 3/4-inch blue foam...
  9. jdetray

Macy's Auctioning Seattle Store's Christmas Train Display

The names of the five companies and brands appear on a photo of a handwritten note on the auctioneer's website: Click here to view the note. I get the feeling that someone at the auction company found the note among the train stuff and thought it might be meaningful to a prospective bidder...
  10. jdetray

One of the images on the auctioneer's website mentions the following: Lionel M.T.H. Electric Trains L.G.B. By Lehmann Piko Charles Ro There is no explanation of what this list means, but it is likely a list of where the locos and rolling stock were purchased. - Jeff
  11. jdetray

The Christmas train layout featured in the window of the Seattle Macy's store for 73 years is being auctioned off on March 24. The store itself close more than a year ago. The layout is part of an auction of the store fixtures and warehouse equipment. There are a handful of videos of the layout...
  12. jdetray

Color of Road Striping

Their stuff looks great. I definitely need some of the N-scale road markings. - Jeff
  13. jdetray

Color of Road Striping

Some online sources for road stripe materials include: Chartpak Factory Store Graphic Tape & Label Magnatag Woodland Scenics Builders In Scale Prostripe McMaster-Carr Grainger And, of course, Amazon. As mentioned in Post #11, a good width for road striping in HO scale is 1/16-inch. This...
  14. jdetray

Old desktop computers and HO rail road uses

I have JMRI running on an ancient Windows XP laptop. I turned it into a dual-boot machine that also runs Linux (cost = $0.00), and I installed JMRI in the Linux partition. As flyboy mentioned, you can pull the power supply out of an old desktop computer and use it as a power source for all...
  15. jdetray

Work benches

Trust me: It's not always so clean. - Jeff
  16. jdetray

Work benches

Well, I majored in EE during my first two years in college but then switched to "communications" which included radio, TV, and print journalism. I worked in technical publishing for many years. This included ham radio and computer magazines and eventually digital publications on the web. I...
  17. jdetray

Historic Railroad Songs

I rode the Wabash Cannonball to and from the University of Illinois in the early 1970s. In Illinois, I bought a ticket that included a bus ride to a grade crossing in Tolono, Illinois, where the train stopped to pick up and drop off passengers. I then road the train through the night to...
  18. jdetray

Work benches

My model railroading workbench is 60 x 24 inch cubby in my office. Two views below. - Jeff
  19. jdetray

Leaving the paper templates on the layout

Here's a post showing how I used paper templates and a Sharpie marker to transfer my track plan to the layout surface: https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/full-size-paper-templates-of-trackplan.30958/#post-471594 - Jeff
  20. jdetray

Full Size Paper Templates of Trackplan

For what it's worth, I'm using Firefox, and all 59 images on the first page are displaying. - Jeff

Back