Search results

1. A

Inspiration from the prototype, need design advice

Not bad! I always enjoy seeing layouts based on prototype arrangements.. My suggestion would be to flip around at least one of your spurs to add operational interest. Also, perhaps you could move your runaround track from the bottom to along the curve and closer to the top; opening roughly...
  2. A

2'x8' shelf layout in the works

Wow, that is stunning! Amazing the details he puts into his structures.. I have brought an update to my shelf layout plans.. I added a road to the left side, flipped the service siding around so the access road to it is shorter, and made other very small changes. I would like to add a water...
  3. A

Yes Lance Mindheim does awesome work, I always enjoy flipping through the photo galleries on his website. His attention to detail is amazing.. :cool: That is what I was thinking.. Even adding the extra spur in the front seems to clutter it up a bit more than I would like.. That was actually...
  4. A

Glad you guys approve so far, I attached an updated version to this post.. Changes include adding the engine service area, I marked all of the parking lots, a dirt road, and gave the middle building a name; Airgas South. I am not sure exactly what they do, but that is approximately where they...
  5. A

Recently I have been trying to get back to building a model railroad on a 2'x8' piece of plywood. The idea was to build a portable, functional switching layout with wood I had available, and complete the whole project for under $400. The attached plans are what I have so far. Drawn in XTrakCAD...
  6. A

Modern grain mill

I appreciate everyone's input, I decided to convert the Pikestuff small engine house into a loading shed and skip on the surge bin..
  7. A

Containers Price Quality etc

I do not model modern intermodal or container traffic any more, but in the past I always stocked my container yards with the Athearn blue box kits. They were cheap, took only a few seconds to build, and my LHS always had dozens of them in stock. Walthers also used to be inexpensive. When I see...
  8. A

Modern grain mill

I think that is an excellent idea, not sure I could pull off scratchbuilding a loading shed.. Hmm, I just saw the Walthers dimensions are at 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" for the base, which would be a tight squeeze for the car and track. Not sure if that would work or not without more modification.
  9. A

Modern grain mill

I was planning to make a small diorama, which features a peanut mill as the central feature. The main building will be the Pikestuff Milton corporation, but I am trying to decide how I can build the structure that loads covered hopper cars. I was going to use the Walther's surge bin from their...
  10. A

railroad-line forum?

I have tried, it is a problem on their end, not mine. And the site appears to be back up again, both the regular site and the forums.
  11. A

railroad-line forum?

You can still access the forum. Kind of pointless for me though, seeing as they have a problem with their registration system... Not to drag this off topic but has anyone else had problems registering over there? It keeps saying it sent the email but I certainly never received it..
  12. A

Gp38ac?

It was my understanding that a straight GP38 and a GP38AC have no external differences, which is why the same differences vs dash 2 models apply.. As a previous poster already mentioned those differences are the cab overhang, sight glass, and a few other details that makes them distinct from the...
  13. A

MR's "Realistic Reliable Track"

I agree with this. The only article that has really interested me lately was about modeling an ATSF GP7u in the June issue. I am more interested in detailing locomotives than some of the other aspects of the hobby, so maybe I should be subscribed to something other than MR..
  14. A

Walthers Announces New North American Ethanol Series Kits

A fading industry or not, it looks like the buildings are very nice looking, especially for a modern era layout.. If nothing else you could easily modify them as a stand in for another industry.
  15. A

Another One Bites the Dust!

Well folks, the depot came crashing down today.. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archivethumbs.aspx?id=40251 Damn shame. The pair of GSWR SD40-2s have been transferred to Panama City, FL and two Bay Line GP38-2s are now on the GSWR. The third forecasted 'changing of the guard' action is to...
  16. A

A few shots from the Alrails meet in Irondale, Al

Looks like you folks had lots of fun, I couldn't make this meet, but I will say that the ALRails group is one of the best out there.. I joined about two years ago, and have been impressed at how helpful everyone is. Great photos, glad the weather cooperated.
  17. A

Container Yard

That is why when we use drywall mud for our layouts you need to go with extremely thin coats and layer it with 4 or 5 coats. This way the effect is minimal, plus you can cover a LOT more ground with a bucket of joint compound than you can sculptamold. Most intermodal facilities I have seen...
  18. A

The future of the Hobby

I can assure you that there are tons of younger folks in the hobby, especially in the 18-25 age group. The problem is, most of us can't break away from our schedules to go to shows, and rarely have the $$$ to go to hobby shops. Plus, the younger generations tend to buy more online, hence the...
  19. A

Railroad Office Buildings

In the general area of Dothan. And I plan on modeling these as soon as I arrange my layout the way I want it. I am leaning towards full interior and lighting. Since my layout is 70's era, I will also include the TO board, animated of course. I think the square cinder block design is...
  20. A

Mismatched locos?

The common pattern I see is UP on the point of CSX/NS intermodal trains. The same run through power is used to take these trains to their final destination (usually Atlanta or Jacksonville), then is returned via the Westbound version of the same train. Of course, this is nothing new; Southern...

Back