Search results

1. I

Google street view on a rail line

Hi all, I'm planning a trip to Europe in July and would like to take a ride on the narrow gauge Rhaetian Railway in Switzerland. A very scenic spot is the Landwasser viaduct, so I googled it and to my surprise Google maps has a street view version of the rail line. Looks like they put a...
  2. I

source for 2-56 screws

I have ordered fasteners and other stuff from http://www.smallparts.com/
  3. I

Your Other Hobbies

Like This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I
  4. I

Miniature Wonderland MRR and Model Airport

Click on the arrow at the bottom right of the Video window, then select 'CC'
  5. I

Square holes

Depending on the size hole you need, a mortising bit is available down to 1/4 inch, and make a very clean square hole. They look like this: http://www.amazon.com/Jet-708593-2-Inch-Mortise-Chisel/dp/B0009H5DY2
  6. I

This sure looks like a fun place to work, but according to the information on their website, the approximate construction cost was 10 million euros with 500,000 man hours of work. Subtracting the capital expenditures, it seems that they probably don't pay too well, or maybe many of the man...
  7. I

Seeing that the planes are completely autonomous and filled with electronics and batteries (they say the weight of the planes is between 600 to 2000 grams) , I can't think of a better method to launch the planes. But if you watch this video of the airport at night, it is truly amazing...
  8. I

Train photos on the web???

http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/index.php
  9. I

Gluing styrene to Strathmore / Bristol board

I have glued styrene to MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard) using double sided carpet tape. The carpet tape I used is very thin and transparent and holds very well, almost have to destroy the styrene to get it off.
  10. I

Opinions on Table-top Milling machine

Anyone here used the Proxxon MF-70 table-top milling machine? I'm wondering if it's more of a toy or if it's useful for small machining jobs? Thanks, Gord
  11. I

Model Railroad Hobbiest

I love MRH. Just wondering how others compare it to the newstand magazines, I haven't bought any in a while. So much nicer to have the copy on my pc instead of taking up space on the shelf. On the other hand, I can't at least, read it on the throne.
  12. I

EBay Bid Changes

I think there are other people like me, that are willing to pay more than their maximum bid once the auction comes close to the end. Many times I have upped my max bid for an iem I really wanted. Now I never even enter a bid until the last two seconds of the auction. Bidding your...
  13. I

crooked lumber

When selecting lumber try to avoid any that came from close to the center of the tree. Also try to choose 'Quarter sawn lumber', this is where the growth rings are perpendicular to the widest side of the lumber, avoid pieces that have the growth rings parallel to the wide side of the lumber...
  14. I

Rivets

This is what I use for embossing rivets. Two pieces of 1/16 thick printed circuit board, holes are drilled through both pieces and the .025 wire sticking up aligns the two pieces. Insert material between the 2 circuit boards the use punch to emboss rivets. Works with styrene and thin...
  15. I

Applying small droplets of CA, what do you use?

Interested to hear what others use to apply small amounts of CA. I have tried a few different methods to apply a small amount of CA adhesive, only one so far has worked well. I tried a ground needle (opening eye of needle to hold CA), worked sometimes, but very hard to apply a small dot of...
  16. I

Looking for special single edged razor blade

Ken, It's not noticeable when cutting flat strips but quite noticeable when cutting shapes like angles and I or H beams
  17. I

Looking for special single edged razor blade

Hi all, I'm trying to find a single edged razor blade that is honed only on one side, like the Xacto #18 Chisel Blade. Problem with standard single edged razor blades is they cut a V so there is a slope on both the cutoff piece and the stock piece. With a blade honed only on one side, the...
  18. I

Useful Dollar store finds

Anyone found any useful model railroading supplies or tools at the dollar store?
  19. I

EBay 1 Click Bid

Anyone here know how this new feature on EBay works? Does it raise your bid 1 step more than the current highest bid or just one step higher than your previous maximum bid. Didn't have any luck finding an explanation on EBay. Hope someone can help out Thanks
  20. I

OMI Cisco Bridge

Hi all, Back around the year 2000, Overland models released a Brass HO model of the CN Cisco Bridge (in Fraser Canyon BC). A very nice model based on the model built by Doug Hole of Sorrento BC. The entire span was 810 feet and the arch span was 425 feet. I think they sold about 50 of the...

Back