Search results

1. grande man

"put layout name here" my restart in H0 Scale

IMHO, both techniques have their place and I've used both. If I were doing mountain scenery the track would likely be on wood (cookie cutter) with hardshell to form the terrain. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.
  2. grande man

Old Signal and Locomotive Pictures in Northeast PA

That's a cool old searchlight. May possibly have been there since the 1920s.
  3. grande man

N Scale Big Boy Ikea Shelf Diorama

Maybe you can visit and see the real thing in action one day. UP 4014 I still remember seeing the Big Boy at Cheyenne, Wyo as a kid. What an impressive machine!
  4. grande man

It sounds like you have a solid plan for future access. As we've all found out, that is very important.
  5. grande man

Looks great so far. What will the curve radius be behind the mountain? Will you be able to access that area if needed?
  6. grande man

Hi there

Welcome aboard! Your modeling looks fantastic. Look forward to seeing your HO project come together.
  7. grande man

If you have an unnamed hobo character on your layout.......

Oh yeah, he should do nicely. 👍
  8. grande man

Show Your Face

Where was the pic taken? I'll guess, maybe Antonito, Colo?
  9. grande man

Flashback! Ensley Works Steel Mill, Birmingham, Ala

Blast furnace overview, TCI Ensley.
  10. grande man

Ensley Works, probably in the WWII era. The power house number 2 (lead in photo) would have been in the upper left quadrant behind the rail mill. It isn't really visible in this aerial view.
  11. grande man

Adding dolomite to the open hearth furnaces between heats took teamwork. Charging an open hearth furnace
  12. grande man

A day in the life of an American steelworker... Bessemer Converters at Ensley.
  13. grande man

TCI's Ensley Works in its heyday
  14. grande man

This cool old industrial building was Power House 2. It dates to about 1900. Sadly, its long gone now. \ A look into the basement...
  15. grande man

Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

There are some beautiful examples of modeling in this thread!!! The weathering is exceptional! My weathering technique was always very simplistic. The models would be sprayed with Dullcote and then chalk was dry brushed on to "rust and dust" them. Would have to search thru my files for rolling...
  16. grande man

Trains.com

That's an interesting thought. If software like Bob posted could be a mini time warp (like most of our model railroads are) it might be more fun. I wonder if running computer generated trains on a recreation of a real, historic railroad would be attractive to any younger folks today. There could...
  17. grande man

Grande Man!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're right! The love of railroading will always be there as it has since many of us were kids. Things change and there's been a lot of water under the bridge, but I'll always love trains.
  18. grande man

Trains.com

The new generation may well go for that but its a sad substitute for a real model railroad. There's no creativity involved. Half the fun of modeling is imagining the trains and scenery and then bringing it to life. Times are changing though...

Back