Search results

1. M

Rail yard in Alliance, Nebraska

I just happened to see this on Google maps: http://tinyurl.com/yc7cbff It's a satellite view of a pretty big rail yard... compared to the size of the town it is in. Anyway, just thought I'd share. :o
  2. M

Where to get traction wheels for Riv Bigboy?

I'm trying to find a replacement traction wheel for the Rivarossi 4-8-8-4 factory weathered Big Boy. I have done some searching online and have not found a source. Any known sources or suggestions? I'm contacting Hornby/Rivarossi through their site too. Maybe someone has removed their...
  3. M

What I've learned about MTH, DCS, DCC

I've spent a couple days gathering information on MTH's DCS system for HO, and it's compatibility with DCC controllers. I know there is an article on this subject already, but I think I can be a bit more specific about "what you can't do" if you have DCC. Hopefully this will be useful to...
  4. M

Anyone model BIG power lines/towers ?

I've always had a strange fascination with these things, and am thinking of making maybe a pair of them for the layout some day. Any thoughts? Nutty idea? Materials? They're 125 feet tall, which would make it 17 inches high in HO scale (wow!). The arms would span about 17 inches too. I...
  5. M

Where to begin

Some of the "virtual worlds" I see here are just stunning. (You know who you are). As I think I heard someone else say, it is both inspiring and a little "depressing" at the same time. I mean, I'd like my layout to start to look like that too, but I don't know any of the construction...
  6. M

Is it just me, or does MTH ignore you?

Look, I understand they are busy making models and all that, but so far my impression of this company is that they just don't care too much about their customers. I have $1000 worth of MTH product on order, awaiting release this month, and I am trying to get an answer from MTH as to whether...
  7. M

Crash avoidance?

Hello fellow model railroading fanatics,,, I'm finally getting back to working on my layout a little, after a long time. I was just thinking of something I'd really like to have... A rear-ender avoidance system of some sort. I tend to like my trains really long, and though I've done a pretty...
  8. M

banking of turns for very long trains?

So, I put together my HO layout, and I'm a newbie to this, so bear with me... I find that pulling maybe 40 or so cars is a big problem. Not because the loco can't pull it, but because going around the turns, the "tug" of pulling all those cars tends to make them want to topple over to the...

Back