Search results

1. OBS

Mountain in progress

Sorry the pictures are a little shakey, I don't have a nice camera to use, so these are from my phone. A couple notes. I started off using a plaster mix because I'd bought some mesh with plaster mixed in that setup nicely when moistened and then laid out. Working with actual plaster was a...
  2. OBS

building a building

Don't feel bad, I'm not much into trains either, but I do love model railroads! I'm mostly a fan of structures and terrain. If you're like me, you'll also enjoy this site... http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/ It's heavy into table top gaming, but the terrain work these people do is amazing.
  3. OBS

Custom Steel load

I like it.
  4. OBS

Lighting

I noticed that last night, thought about hanging all the LED's like lamps would be normally hung for a "pointing down" illumination...but I really just wanted an overall illumination.
  5. OBS

Lighting

I've been working on my Walthers coal mine, and before I glue the roof on, I want to wire it up for lighting. I bought some yellow LEDs (no one REALLY has white lights), but they don't emit enough light to really light the structure. What do you guys use for structure lighting?
  6. OBS

Steel Mill town?

What happens?
  7. OBS

Coal Mine

I'm working on the Cornerstone Coal Mine... here's a couple weathering shots..
  8. OBS

First train set does NOT work! Help!

I haven't worked on any Engines, but from an electrical standpoint, it sounds like you have a burnt motor.
  9. OBS

Warehouse Office

Excellent work!
  10. OBS

Bring plastic together

What do y'all use to glue it together? I've been using a superglue, but it's a little messy and dries so darn quick that I end up getting 'spider webs' all over the place. I was considering a hot glue gun, but figured I'd throw it out to the pros.
  11. OBS

Anyone recognize this kit?

I had the same thought, we have a lot of these old types of building around Baltimore that have been transformed into big money offices, http://www.clippermill.net/, and do a google image search for Power Plant Baltimore. But I'm doing a loose 1935-1955, starting with industry (coal mine), and...
  12. OBS

Good call... that's what I get for being to lazy to write it down when I saw it..
  13. OBS

I went to a train show this morning, and saw ONE box of this model selling. It's Fairview Bottling from LifeLike.... can't find a single pic of it online tho.
  14. OBS

Brick Work

I suppose we all want different things from the hobby.. Personally, ever since I was a little kid I wanted to create a model so real looking, that if photographed you couldn't tell the difference. Also, considering the cost of models, I want to get as much out of each kit as I can. I also have...
  15. OBS

Brick Work

Why do you think that is up2csx? I remember one of my first posts here was about what different modelers focus on. I've noticed that lots of the layouts I see are devoid of terrain landscaping, and most of the structures aren't detailed. Are those things just "filler" for around the trains?
  16. OBS

Brick Work

As for colors, I used a very light gray first. Then brushed on brown, then red on top of that, then used an orange/red/brown dirty mix here and there...
  17. OBS

Brick Work

Some of the best modeling I've seen since getting back into the hobby, is the work being done by our cousins in war gaming. When I'm looking for shear creativity, they're a list of 4 or 5 sites I go to. I saw this excellent brickwork the other day, and read through the details on the page...
  18. OBS

Brick Work

Here's my first go at trying to get some mortar lines, and time aged brick... Thoughts, suggestions?
  19. OBS

I had put this together probably 15 years ago, or more, and just dug it out of my parents attic, tore it apart and starting painting it and reassembling it. I just can't remember what it was supposed to be. I want to say it was a LifeLike, since most of the stuff I've dug out has been.
  20. OBS

Steel Mill town?

In doing some research I came across this great site... lots of beautiful industrial photos. http://www.hfinster.de/StahlArt2/archive-en.html Also, UP2CSX, I came across a Coal mine flow chart. It had dryer and cooler units, does coal need to be cooled, or dried out? Most of the pictures...

Back