Search results

1. M

Weekly Photo Fun 2/19-2/25

My favorite (so far) photos of the Texas & Great Plains machine shop. This piece is going to be one of my contest entries at this weekends Houston train show.
  2. M

Weekly Photo Fun 12/4 - 12/10

Thought I would show a derelict shed that I built over the last couple of days. Had some fun with this one, it has full framing on all the walls and roof. Built it to show a shed which had not been in use for quite some time. It is done in O scale. Matt Dillow MD Custom Models
  3. M

Texas & Great Plains RR Machine Shop

Started building a new project, this is a machine shop in O scale with a full interior. Building walls are from a limited edition Downtown Deco kit "Kozak's Machine Shop". They were assembled as per the kit instructions, I sealed the inside joints where the panels meet with drywall compound...
  4. M

Como Colorado Grade School, circa 1901

Started on a new project this morning, this is the Como, Colorado Grade School circa 1901. First shot shows the photo that I am using to model this piece, it was shot in 1893 but there were no changes to the building in between. Second shot shows the four walls assembled. Core is .040...
  5. M

Pieces for my On30 layout

This thread is for displaying the various pieces that I am building for my On30 layout. Set in 1899 when trains were the only way to travel. First up is the Car shop, this piece will have a full interior and such details as a wood block floor. All of the prototype interior framing is also...
  6. M

Raggs to Riches Durango Coaling Tower

Started working on the Raggs to Riches Durango coaling tower this afternoon. Got the pit and mechanical room built. This is a laser cut kit that was reviewed two years ago in RMC, the reviewer took 80 hours to assemble his kit if I remember right. I do not believe that it will take anywhere...
  7. M

SLIM&M Shop

This is the SLIM&M's car shop. Piece will be fully detailed for my personal layout set in 1899. Building is 22'x44' and is built in On30. What you are seeing here is the 2x6 upper walls which will sit on a 4' high brick lower wall.
  8. M

Deadwood Smelter

Something new, this is the first building from Deadwood Smelter that I am building as a possible entry into next years Narrow Gauge Convention's model contest. Piece is built with full studs and rafters and is even complete to the nailers under the individually applied shingles. The hole in the...
  9. M

Pat Gibbony's Car Shop, Como, 1912

Started working on a new piece for a client for whom I am building 9 buildings from Como on the Colorado and Southern. Already completed are the depot, dispacher office and the Pacific hotel. This one is Pat Gibbony's car shop. Building will have a full interior so it is being built stick by...
  10. M

Model Foundry "Tennessee Pass Depot" with scratchbuilt waiting room.

Model Foundry Limited Edition kit of the RGS Tennessee Pass Depot. Released several years ago (1992) from a company who only made a couple of O scale kits. Kit has some lower walls of hydrocal while most of the wall use an innovative system of cardstock covered with wood spaces then individual...
  11. M

Raggs to Riches HOTEL LEMMON build

This is a simple build straight from the box. A nice laser cut O scale kit with several options offered in its building. I am not putting in an interior on this building, though the kit does have basic interior partitions included, more for structual stability then to portray the actual...
  12. M

Let's Scratchbuild a D&RGW Water Tank

D&RGW 50,000 gallon water tank, this one is a later version (post 1920's I believe) using an octagonal roof and individual concrete footing. Tank will have a pair of spout on opposite sides to service two tracks. Interior form is a piece of PVC pipe to which three spacer rings were attached...
  13. M

Raggs to Riches F.D.Works Buiding with Scratchbuilt Interior

Next project is the Ragg's to Riches laser cut kit for the F.D.Works Building in Telluride, Colorado. Piece will have a scratchbuilt interior on the first floor, both in the sales area and the stockroom off the side loading dock. 8-10 figures will be modified to 1895's appearance to...
  14. M

Oil Compay Tank Farm Scratchbuild

This is a small tank farm being built for a On30 layout set in the 1930's. Commercial parts are limited to the pedestrian doors and the windows, both of which are Grant Line parts. The tanks are "riveted" with the taller 12 dia tank having 8 full packages (800 total) of rivets individually...

Back