Search results

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
  1. PrairieKnight

7127 Hesitates in a turnout......

I am sorry that I have not posted a response sooner but it has been a busy week at work. The wheel sets are in line with an NMRA gauge. I have read about the wobble on these turnouts. I will check the rivets and see if there is a loss of contact on the rails. I am still looking into the...
  2. PrairieKnight

7127 Hesitates in a turnout......

I am having an issue with a Walther's Proto GP 60 Locomotive. This particular locomotive - 7127 will hesitate ( slow down and sound cuts out} as it pulls forward through one of the 17 Atlas remote snap switches on my layout. This is at speed step three on my NCE Power Cab DCC system. The...
  3. PrairieKnight

Please explain Atlas Snap vs Custom line switches

Be careful of Atlas remote snap switches. Exhibit A: I actually have 16 of these code 83 Atlas remote snap switches on my 4 X 8. I am converting them to ground throws. I am adding a 2 X 8 yard area to make the layout an L shape. I will use another 19 Atlas snap switches with ground...
  4. PrairieKnight

The Hobby Shop of today!

Mark, I totally agree when it comes to Hobby Town. The Hobby Town in Kalamazoo, Michigan has gone the same way as those in your area. That is one of the reasons why this forum is so valuable. The folks here are great at sharing information and giving suggestions. But there are times when...
  5. PrairieKnight

Fixing Atlas Custom Line turnouts

Ted, That is some very nice soldering work. I truly appreciate the pictures and explanations.
  6. PrairieKnight

Fixing Atlas Custom Line turnouts

Great information in this thread for those of us using Atlas snap switches. I truly appreciate the pictures and explanations Willie. Ted, would it be possible for you to post a picture or two of the turnouts with the soldered jumpers? Harold, I will take a look at that website. Thank you...
  7. PrairieKnight

NCE Power Cab "Recall"

My apologies to Toot and Beiland. I could have avoided the anxiety had I simply added the word "button" to the title of this thread. I do appreciate the help Jeff. It took me a while to find in the NCS Power Cab manual but I did find it on page 58.
  8. PrairieKnight

NCE Power Cab "Recall"

I am using NCE Power Cab on my HO layout. I now have 3 locomotives and a switcher. All 4 of these units perform well with my NCE system. My issue is that I can only use the "recall" button on my handheld controller on two of these four units at a time. According to the directions in the NCE...
  9. PrairieKnight

Different type of feeder connector...….

Jeff, I appreciate you telling me about the Posi-Taps. I had never heard of them until y our post. They look very easy to use on the You tube video. I will be ordering these online. Thanks again.
  10. PrairieKnight

I found them! Jeff, I did the Google search and found where they were sold on Amazon. But they only sold them in bundles of sixty with three different sizes. The reviews I read looked as if there were a number of the bundle of sixty that did not get used because of the difference in the three...
  11. PrairieKnight

I used suitcase connectors on the first part of my layout to connect the 22 gauge feeder wires to the 14 gauge bus wires. Although they seemed to work alright at the time I installed them, I did not have a real good feeling with folding the end of the 22 gauge wire over after stripping the end...
  12. PrairieKnight

Feeders and Turnouts

Frank and Iron, I am going to wait a while before attempting to wire in LEDs on my turnouts. My wiring and electrical skills are no where near the level of you two gentlemen. However, thanks to the suggestions, advice, and pictures from both of you I can refer to this thread when I attempt to...
  13. PrairieKnight

Feeders and Turnouts

I appreciate the advice Iron. I do not think that I will be having that many locos and the yard tracks will not be that long. I had not thought about installing indicator LEDs Frank. That would definitely add to the operation of the layout. That is something that I will consider in the future.
  14. PrairieKnight

Feeders and Turnouts

I appreciate the reply Frank. I am using HO. I understand what you mean about the Atlas turnouts not supposed to route power but in fact, they do. I found that out when I built the original 4 X 8 part of my layout. However, to be on the safe side I put feeder wires on each section of track...
  15. PrairieKnight

Feeders and Turnouts

I am starting to build a 2 X 8 section to add onto my current 4 X 8. The 2 X 8 will be a yard. I used Atlas remote turnouts #540 and #541 on the 4 X 8. I have some extra of these Atlas remote turnouts for the 2 X 8. I plan on staying with the #540s and #541s but not the remote type. I plan...
  16. PrairieKnight

Christmas Presents

I got this from my wife for Christmas. Perfect for placing clear windows into structures.
  17. PrairieKnight

What is your favorite Building on your layout?

This simple signal tower was my first attempt at using techniques I learned in this forum for painting and weathering. I have built other structures, but this is the one that reminds of why I love this hobby. My thanks to all those that post in this forum and taught me many things.
  18. PrairieKnight

What's the preferred airbrush set-up???

Great advice in this thread...I really like what Kevin posted. I have a Paasche double action cup feed. I started with a Dewalt pancake air compressor and had some difficulties regulating the air flow with the compressors regulator connected to a moisture trap/pressure regulator. My air...
  19. PrairieKnight

Acrylic Airbrush Paint???????

Not only do I agree with what everyone has said here...... I am also cheap. I fell into the "airbrush acrylic" trap when I purchased my Passche Double action air brush. I learned quickly... those paints are not necessary and expensive. I did a 180.... here is what I use to shoot the cheap...
  20. PrairieKnight

Introducing Kids to Model Trains

As usual... this is an interesting thread. The subject of which I happened to discuss with the owner of my LHS not to long ago. The aspect of our wonderful hobby that we were discussing that day was the fact that he has to stock mostly "ready to set on the layout straight out of the box"...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.