Search results

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
  1. PrairieKnight

7127 Hesitates in a turnout......

I am having an issue with a Walther's Proto GP 60 Locomotive. This particular locomotive - 7127 will hesitate ( slow down and sound cuts out} as it pulls forward through one of the 17 Atlas remote snap switches on my layout. This is at speed step three on my NCE Power Cab DCC system. The...
  2. PrairieKnight

NCE Power Cab "Recall"

I am using NCE Power Cab on my HO layout. I now have 3 locomotives and a switcher. All 4 of these units perform well with my NCE system. My issue is that I can only use the "recall" button on my handheld controller on two of these four units at a time. According to the directions in the NCE...
  3. PrairieKnight

Different type of feeder connector...….

I used suitcase connectors on the first part of my layout to connect the 22 gauge feeder wires to the 14 gauge bus wires. Although they seemed to work alright at the time I installed them, I did not have a real good feeling with folding the end of the 22 gauge wire over after stripping the end...
  4. PrairieKnight

Feeders and Turnouts

I am starting to build a 2 X 8 section to add onto my current 4 X 8. The 2 X 8 will be a yard. I used Atlas remote turnouts #540 and #541 on the 4 X 8. I have some extra of these Atlas remote turnouts for the 2 X 8. I plan on staying with the #540s and #541s but not the remote type. I plan...
  5. PrairieKnight

Atlas remote snap switch burn out........

There have been some recent posts regarding Atlas snap switches. My son and I had a weird thing happen during an ops session this past Saturday. Everything was running great when all of a sudden one of the Atlas 18" remote snap switches would not throw when the Atlas button was pushed on the...
  6. PrairieKnight

Using real dirt......

I am contemplating using real dirt on my layout for ground cover. I have been reading where this is quite a process: 1. Sift the dirt through a couple different sized strainers/screens. Depending on how fine a dirt you want to use. 2. Put the dirt in a blender. And if my wife asks... you do...
  7. PrairieKnight

Connecting layout sections when adding on......

I want to start by thanking everyone that has responded to my many questions. My layout would not be where it is today if it were not for the advice and suggestions from you folks. It is greatly appreciated. I am at a point with expanding my 4' X 8' HO layout to where I am buying the building...
  8. PrairieKnight

NCE Powercab question. Will there be enough power........

I am planning on expanding my current 4' X 8' layout by adding a 2' X 8' section. Does anyone know of a way that I can determine if my NCE Powercab will be able to power the proposed addition. My turnouts on the present 4 X 8 are Atlas remote snap switches powered by a separate power source. I...
  9. PrairieKnight

Questions on expanding a 4 X 8

Here is my present 4X8. Powered by NCE DCC. I used Atlas code 83 track along with 16 Atlas snap switches. 14 of which are 18"radius ( I think they are Atlas 540 and 541). The two turnouts on either end of the mainline outside oval are Atlas 22" curved snap switches. All turnouts are remote...
  10. PrairieKnight

What do you use to uncouple cars during ops sessions.

I am wondering what everyone uses to uncouple rolling stock during ops sessions. Non-magnetic of course. This would be on #5 Kadee couplers. I have a mix of plastic and metal couplers as I convert all of my rolling stock to body mount metal centerset shank couplers from the plastic whisker...
  11. PrairieKnight

What type of wash to use with acrylic paint

I am taking my first stab at airbrushing structures: I used Apple Barrel acrylic paints shot through a Paasche double action airbrush. I am pleased with the initial results. I experimented with Dullcote and another craft acrylic sealer on these structures. I want to weather with washes and...
  12. PrairieKnight

Walther's Stock Yard Kit....

Has anyone built the stock yard kit from Walther's? I opened the box today and found the directions lacking and very confusing. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on how I can get the grey patina wood affect using acrylics on the fences and structures in the kit, I sure would appreciate the help.
  13. PrairieKnight

Cleaning locomotive wheels

This goes along with the thread started by Railrunner. I am learning that having your layout in the basement does lead to alot of track cleaning. So be it.... I am still having fun no matter what I am doing on the layout. Along with cleaning the track, I place a rag on a section of track with...
  14. PrairieKnight

Is Bright Boy a bad idea?

All, I am at that point in my layout to where everything is up and running and I am taking my time with the scenery, structures and coupler issues as they rear their ugly head. Along with that comes the never ending task of cleaning track and rolling stock/locomotive wheels. I am very...
  15. PrairieKnight

Model Power Derailments.......

I have a couple different manufacturers of rolling stock on my recently powered up DCC 4 X 8 layout. On my Atlas code 83 track with Atlas remote snap switches, the Athearns, Mantuas, and Walthers do fine. However, the Power Model rolling stock seems to want to derail at the remote snap...
  16. PrairieKnight

NCE telling me there is a short.

So I finally got all the Atlas feeder rail joiners connected to the 14ga bus with "suit case" connectors. I plugged in the NCE power cab controller...and...nothing...but a blinking red light on the control panel where the "phone jack" type plug connects. The NCE manual states that when the...
  17. PrairieKnight

Checking the feeder wires

I have all of the Atlas feeder wire rail joiners drilled through and placed on the layout. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can check the connection between the BUS and the feeder wires as I connect them together. My idea is to power up the NCE power cab after connecting each pair of...
  18. PrairieKnight

Which paint for basic scenery

I am at the point in my first 4 X 8 HO DCC layout where the track is laid on Woodland Scenics foam roadbed. I was thinking of painting the roadbed and the basic foam insulation base of the layout (before any elevations or terrains are added to the base) while I install the rail joiner feeder...
  19. PrairieKnight

Read any good books lately?

I will be going to our cottage on Lake Erie soon for vacation. My lovely wife has put her foot down and said that I cannot pull my 4 X 8 layout out of the basement and haul it across the Ohio Turnpike so that I can work on it while we are there. For God sake, I put casters on it. ;) So I am...
  20. PrairieKnight

Micro Mark scewed up.......

I ordered an HO prairie co-op structure kit from Micro Mark last week. I ordered over the phone and got an email confirmation of my order. I was so excited when my wife handed me the box that was left on the porch. But when I opened the box, I found a nice little Bachmann Spectrum HO GE 45...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.