Search results

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
  1. T

Wiring a Peco 3-way turnout?

I have decided to reconfigure one of my yards for more flexibility in operation. To do this I need to use a 3-way turnout. I happen to have a Peco, but I don't know if it is Electrofrog or Insulfrog. It is different from two others I am using on my layout, both of which have no wiring attached...
  2. T

Number boards for HO Stewart F7A

:oops: At a recent local swap meet, I purchased a Stewart HO scale F7A/B in C.B.&Q. freight paint scheme. I got it home and ran it around the layout (the B-unit is dummy). Was running real well, but when it came around a curve, that is close to the edge of the table, and where I didn't have a...
  3. T

Overheating DC power packs (plural)!

I have continuous run layout in a 14' x 14' room (folded dogbone), wired in blocks for DC, but with a DPDT toggle on the control panel so I can switch to DCC, with the appropriate decoder-equipped locomotives, But I have recently started encountering problems with the DC power packs tripping...
  4. T

Signal/telegraph pole spacing

How far apart are these generally placed? In the 1940's-'50's. how many lines might be for a double track main line?
  5. T

HO scale clubs in the South Suburban Metro-Denver area?

There used to be a club, but doesn't seem to be active anymore, and I can't find contacts in this area.
  6. T

Soundtraxx customer service

I had a problem with a wire pulling loose from a Soundtraxx TCU-2200 Steam decoder (my own fault!). I sent it back to Soundtraxx, and received one either repaired or a replacement (I think the latter, as the decoder wrapping partially covered the connector for the keep-alive capacitor.) No...
  7. T

CB&Q steam loco whistles

Does anyone know the types of whistles on Burlington M2 (2-10-2), M4 (2-10-4), B1 (4-8-2) and O-5 (4-8-4) steam locomotives? So far no answer from the Burlington Route Historical Society on this. Trying to find something close for each of these that I can program my Soundraxx Tsunami-2 decoders.
  8. T

Steam loco decoder installation

Three down and one to go! Just finished installation of a Soundraxx Tsunami Steam-2 decoder in one of my kitbashed Mantua 2-10-2's. Biggest part of the job was modifying the tender chassis by milling/filing away the reinforcing ridges to permit mounting of the speaker, drilling and tapping a...
  9. T

Voltage drop problem in one block.

I have a problem: My layout is divided into blocks for either DC or DCC operation. There is one block, with a curve leading into a 3-1/2 percent grade. Because of the long grade, I haven't paid much attention to any slowing on the straightaway grade. But on the curve leading into the grade, I...
  10. T

Speaker Installation question

I'm in the process of installing a Soundtraxx Tsunami2 decoder in my kitbashed Mantua 2-10-4. Normally, I would install it so the sound would go through holes drilled in the Zamac floor of the tender. But this particular kitbash has a long-haul tender that I stretched from two Manutua Mikado...
  11. T

Bachman Climax....Again!

Several years ago, I purchased a 3-truck Bachman Climax. It ran for awhile but I got busy with other things and let it sit on a siding. Apparently, the plastic gears shrank around the axles and cracked. I sent it back to Bachman and they replaced the plastic gears with metal ones. Fine. I...
  12. T

Models versus prototype pilots on diesels

Without naming any particular manufacturer or marketer, because I've seen too many examples, but almost all the HO scale model F-7 diesel "motors" (locomotives) decorated for C.B.&Q. have freight pilots, whereas the "Q" used passenger pilots on most of their freight cab units. The exception was...
  13. T

Kitbashing or headbashing!

Several weeks ago I was at a swap meet, and there was a Mantua Mikado for sale. This was one of the real old zamack models with the gearbox and a large open-frame motor (Pittman xxx ?) Took it home and put it on my layout. First thing I noticed was it required almost 80% of the throttle to get...
  14. T

Mantua steam locomotive parts

Does anybody know where I can get the long hexhead screws and the bushings for the main rods for a Mantua Mikado? Picked up an old Mike with the gearbox. But the main rod bushings that keep the main rods from binding on the other hexhead holding the connecting rods are missing. The big...
  15. T

AmTrak train crash

An Amtrak train crashed head-on into a freight parked on a siding today, killing the engineer and the conductor in the Amtrak engine, and injuring at least 116 passengers! Apparently, a switch had been thrown and padlocked by the freight crew that routed the passenger train onto the siding...
  16. T

Broken axle replacement

I just bought on e-bay, an HO Proto2000 (LifeLike if you read the bottom). Supposed to be new in the box, and appeared that way. However, when I went to test run it, it was going, bang, bang, bang, bumpety, bump! And, sometimes it would lock up completely. Suspicious, I removed the cover plate...
  17. T

Bad, bad wreck by Amtrak in Oregon

At least 6 killed when an Amtrak train derailed crossing a highway overpass on a sharp curve. Eleven cars and two engines derailed! Fox News showing the scene. A bad mess! First trip of this train with passengers along this route! Check with the news media until we get more information.
  18. T

Installing Tsunami decoder

Well, here we go again! After experiencing yet another internally shorted decoder from a different manufacturer, I have decided to install a Tsunami steam decoder in one of my (currently) DC HO locomotives. While the other brand worked nicely while it worked, I had another malfunction after...
  19. T

How the hobby has changed!

I was rummaging through old copies of Model Railroading that I hadn't thrown out, and found one from October 1974! One article was on how to build a complicated steam loco boiler using styrene sheet. It involved cutting and wrapping various pieces to get the shape. The finished product was quite...
  20. T

Burlington Route U28B's --utilization era

I can't find much in the way of reference in my library. When did the GE U28B's operate on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy railroad? In spite of the "Q's" preference for EMD diesels, they apparently did use the GE motors. I model mostly up to 1960, but I can stretch things a bit. I'd like to...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.