Search results

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
  1. autocoach

MDC 10 Wheeler and TCS WOW101-KA Decoder Steam Decoder

Almost where to start. The project is, however, much lower on my priority list than getting the new layout to work. First would be motor replacement and isolation of frame to allow DCC. I have one in pieces now. I have obtained some small Chinese square motors. Next question is how to modify...
  2. autocoach

How many prefer to buy DCC equipped vs. DCC ready?

I prefer DCC equipped if new but no sound. Problem is that it is becoming hard to get a new engine (steam or diesel) that is DCC equipped but not also sound with a big jump in the price. Rapido seems to be the instigator of only two choices. Basically they warned me not to try and DCC without...
  3. autocoach

MDC 10 Wheeler and TCS WOW101-KA Decoder Steam Decoder

Actually not so interested in the TCS decoder problem as I am interested in the upgrade and conversion of MDC 10 wheelers to DCC. I have a pair of the Harriman 4-6-0's that I built in the early 1980's and would love to get them running on my current DCC layout. I am not so interested in...
  4. autocoach

I am looking for ONLY the plastic pit casting from a Heljan or Walthers N 130 foot turntable Kit/RTR

Thanks. I finally found said post and sent a reply to BEADY. In the meantime I am working out how to build a pit if this approach fails. This Saturday there is a large train show in Roseville California about 100 miles from me. Will attend and scour the vendor tables of used N scale. I have...
  5. autocoach

Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

That wouldn't happen to have been a Walther's/Heljan N scale 130 foot turntable. I am looking for the pit casting for the N scale turntable to make into a shallow pit for an HO 70' foot turntable. Contact me if it is the object of my desire.....thx
  6. autocoach

70-71 Foot Turntable Pit Help Needed

All I need is a Heljan/Walthers N scale 130 foot turntable pit. I am scratchbuilding the bridge. I have an SS Limited 70' foot turntable kit based on a Rio Grande prototype but the kit is cast pot metal and the bridge girders are way too deep. Plus there is no pit. Only instructions on how to...
  7. autocoach

I am looking for ONLY the plastic pit casting from a Heljan or Walthers N 130 foot turntable Kit/RTR

I am looking for only the plastic pit casting for a Heljan or Walthers N 130 foot turntable. This is for a use in conversion to a 70 foot HO turntable with a shallow pit. I do not want or need anything else in N scale or other HO turntable offers as the turntable is already scratchbuilt and I...
  8. autocoach

Moved to Want to Buy Topic

I am looking for only the plastic pit casting for a Heljan or Walthers N 130 foot turntable. This is for a use in conversion to a 70 foot HO turntable with a shallow pit. I do not want or need anything else in N scale or other HO turntable offers as this is partially scratchbuilt already and I...
  9. autocoach

70-71 Foot Turntable Pit Help Needed

I am seeking help find a to find a pit for an HO 70 foot turntable which I am building for my new layout. HO 70 feet scales to 9-7/8 inches(244 mm.). The prototype is the Southern Pacific turntable at Port Costa which contrary to some sources is actually 70 feet according to SP records not 75...
  10. autocoach

Re-motoring with small motors from e-Bay

Hmmm! Similar situation trying to update and DCC a pair of MDC SP 4-6-0's (sort of a T-28) that I built in the 1980's. Personal thing as I put a lot of time into those locomotives shaving off the cast on details and adding brass castings. Have ordered the motors you suggested ( for $7.70) will...
  11. autocoach

More Painting! An SP 2-8-0

Try this https://nightowlmodeler.blogspot.com/2016/12/sp-tender-swapping-part-1-game-for.html. Jason hasn't covered whalebacks in detail.
  12. autocoach

More Painting! An SP 2-8-0

That tender commonly known on the SP as a "whaleback" tender was very common on the SP particlarly for the many consolidations the SP ran. Consolidation Tenders were swapped often and from year to year the same locomotive might have a Vanderbilt, whaleback or rectangular tender. It was an...
  13. autocoach

China Tariffs

Wonder about the position of Rapido. No Tariff increase between China and Canada. A little bit of upset between Canada and China over detention of Huawei VP for the US. How would tariff on Rapido model railroad stuff made in China but shipped to US from Canada be applied? Similar problem with...
  14. autocoach

Replace DCC Decoder for Bachmann 4-8-4.

Would the Bachmann 4-8-4 be the ATSF 3700, NW J or the SP GS4. Sounds would be different as the ATSF and SP locomotives were oil fired rather than coal as in the NW J. And I believe the J had a mechanical stoker so no shoveling coal by the fireman. They had different distictive whistles and in...
  15. autocoach

US Navy Baldwin V0-1000 Color Scheme

The US Navy owned 40 Baldwin VO-1000 diesel switchers assigned to various navy facilities around the US (and maybe abroad?) The Navy was the second largest operator of the VO-1000. Only Santa Fe with 59 had more. I am interested in adding a Bowser Baldwin V0-1000 to my collection to go with two...
  16. autocoach

Looking for Max Shim Thickness for Peco 100 Guard Rails

Try https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/
  17. autocoach

Looking for Max Shim Thickness for Peco 100 Guard Rails

I can't give you a specific answer but there is a wealth of information at the British model railroad (model railway) forum. rmweb.uk.com In the UK about 90% of the modelers use Peco products and there is a wealth of information. The forum software they use is almost identical to this forum.
  18. autocoach

Retirement and the layout choices

Now that I am retired, I have been faced with the choices such as this. Move to a new place where I can have the space for a medium sized layout or stay in my San Francisco Bay Area town house. Being single I would have start over again socially and culturally. And my one and only child with...
  19. autocoach

New Oxford HO models

Remember to buy from a source that is licensed to deduct the UK VAT Tax (sales tax) which is currently 20%. It usually more than offsets shipping costs. What will happen if Brexit happens no one knows. And look at Oxford 4 mm (OO scale) scale vehicles to see if they may be of use as...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.