Search results

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

1. malletman

PRR's Butler Branch & the Logansport & Eel River RR

The PRR Butler Branch, Vandalia line or Eel River line(it was known by all of those names)branched off at Van interlocking in Logansport Indiana and headed northeast to Butler, Indiana. Passing thru Columbia City along the way. Whilest a busy line thru the second world war, it as mostly gone...
  2. malletman

Running trains on my NYS&W Utica branch layout

The "yellowjackets" as NYSW power is know as, are quite eye catching to say the least. Even todays NYSW power is still the same basic paint scheme, although they do not stripe the plows anymore(I think they should, really makes them stand out) The 8-40B's were really sharp when they first...
  3. malletman

Here is a new pic, this time with new Dash8-40B #4008 in the trail of C430 #3000. I have a picture of a NYSW/Sea Land stack train that got diverte up the utica branch. So I have preordered an Intermountain 5 car set of the early style stack cars that clamp the upper container. Both diesels...
  4. malletman

4' x 24' layout with 18" curves - am I nuts?

Many 6 axle diesels and larger steam will run around 22" curves. But with the Rutland, that really isnt a problem if your staying in the diesel era. What doesnt like 22"s are 89' box cars, TOFC flat cars and Autoracks. I run mid 80's era with a pair of 4 axle diesels, modern grain hoppers...
  5. malletman

Logging Locos, Logging Track Plan, Logging Mill, Mainline Pick-up

Most logging lines never turned their locomotives, especially with geared or tank style steamers. Only some of the very large shows, like Weyerhauser, Rayonier ect had some places where they turned the locomotives. But you will find, even the biggest articulated logging steamers ran backwards...
  6. malletman

WTB, Tyco/Mantua DRG 4-8-0 in like new or mint in the box +Helix humper motor

Looking for one of the old Tyco/Mantua DRG(bumblebee) 4-8-0's in super nice condition. Also looking for a couple of the Allentown Loco Works(Helix Humper) can motor kits for this model and one for the Mantua Pacific. These had a combination worm/flywheel and an angled mounting plate for a bolt...
  7. malletman

New NYSW GE 8-40B on the evening local

My new GE 8-40B arrived in today's mail. After a trip thru the back shop for a full service(unrun since built in the mid 1990's) and removal of the MV lenses for installation of constant lights and flashing Prime beacon light(older Richmond Controls circuit). That was a very tedious task as...
  8. malletman

After picking up a few buildings at a show last month and doing some track plan rework to suit, I have local freight service running. Upgrade to Kato Unitrak along with much more scenery will come later this year. I waffled back and forth between a proto freelance shortline or the Susie-Q. I...
  9. malletman

HO locomotives, RDC for sale

Updated the add, removed sold items. I also have a PFM/GOM brass DRGW caboose, painted in NYSW colors but should be stripped as it looks crappy. Cupola has a slightly dented corner, does have a nice original box. $45, Alco Models brass GP40 low nose, can motored, newer trucks from Samhongsa...
  10. malletman

HO locomotives, RDC for sale

I have some HO locomotives, and a RDC that are excess to my needs that need new homes. First up is a AHM/Rivarossi B&O 0-6-0 deluxe version. Has NWSL regear kit installed which slows the engine down from warp speed to a good switching speed. Original box is a bit tattered. $45 Next is...
  11. malletman

Who makes the best model diesel locomotives?

I agree, do not let the lack of sound limit your choices. The selection of smaller O scale 2 rail engines is slim enough already. Sound/DCC boards are not all that difficult to install and many offer services to install them in your locomotive. If you were into the steam era, I would suggest...
  12. malletman

Looking for an O-Scale 2-Rail Road Switcher

About the only thing smaller without going the brass route is the Atlas SW9, which can be a bit hard to come by. I would start by emailing American Scale Models(he sells many estates that might have one of those). All Nation also did a very heavy diecast NW2 that can run really well and be...
  13. malletman

Running trains at the local Autism Ability Fest yesterday

Each April we have an Autism Ability Festival in Indianapolis. This year I added to my usual loop of G scale with my small Marklin HO digital layout. G scale trains include my custom painted Kalamazoo Toy Trains "Autism Express" passenger train pulled by the MCRR 4-4-0, my live steam Stainz...
  14. malletman

Grain hauling shortline layout underway

Most of my brass has cost less than a new plastic engine with sound/dcc in it. The GP20 was $175, the unpainted C430 was $225 and one just like it sold for 168 on ebay, the factory painted one cost me a bit more at close to $400. If you just watch Overland Models/Overland brass over on ebay...
  15. malletman

post your model RR tips........

Here are my tips 1. Try to develop some kind of focus, be it a fictional or real shortline, mainline ect. Doing the "shotgun" approach of just buying anything and everything you like, can make it hard to build a layout. Such has having lots of eastern railroad motive power but you want to...
  16. malletman

Show off time

Me to, wish Overland had done a few more of BN's older Geeps, about the only other one is the GP30 and its a later run and much much more expensive. I would love a high hood GP9 with the standard Ajin tower drive like the GP20 has. I might have to take one of the UP GP7's or GP9's and BNize it...
  17. malletman

I love the BN, if I had the layout room, I would be modeling the Crawford Hill, Nebraska area in 1990. Our local shortline had a pair of ex BN GP10's, 1410 and 1416. I have the massive beacon light and one of the glass front number boards from 1410. A patched out, dirty and ratty ex-BN GP20...
  18. malletman

More motive power changes as the layout evolves, which is normal for me as I find buildings and come across engines that better suit my desires. For now the pair of big C430s will stay. But I found and bought this BN(ex CB&Q) GP20 for a keen price, lacking its original box and nearly frozen...
  19. malletman

Intermountain Gunderson NYS&W/Sea Land "twin stack" 5 car set

Right now I am debating my painting abilities to do up my Overland GP20 into patched out BN cascade green/black. Mostly in relation to the sprung trucks, carbody really isnt a problem.
  20. malletman

Show off time

Picked up the primary road power for my grain hauling shortline. Still in her shiny bare brass beauty for now. Was a mint/unrun Overland Models/Ajin BN(ex CB&Q) GP20. Was nearly locked up from hardened grease, but now running smooth with the typical whine these have. Has an older Richmond...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com