Rerailers?

Yes I realize that and am in the process of fine tuning the Kadee couplers. These Kadees seem to have a lot of variation as far as the trip pins are concerned. I have three identical cars with exactly the same specs as far as coupler height (with no sag), and the trip pins vary considerably in height above the track, arc and length. Is that normal for Kadees? All my Kadees are newly installed.
Yes its normal from the factory. There is a hight gauge available for Kadees. It's bacically a block of metal that fits on the track with a kadee coupler installed in it. You adjust all your coupler hight and that trip pin according to that gauge. Use needle nose pliers carefully to adjust that tail/trip pin. Taken from the net:
51qlGKgfs9L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Yes its normal from the factory. There is a hight gauge available for Kadees. It's bacically a block of metal that fits on the track with a kadee coupler installed in it. You adjust all your coupler hight and that trip pin according to that gauge. Use needle nose pliers carefully to adjust that tail/trip pin. Taken from the net:View attachment 186442
Yup, I picked up the insulated version of that gauge, and am working through my cars one by one. My fleet has tripled to 20 cars recently so it's been a flurry of tweaking and upgrading cars. Next up is adding weight as needed. In the meantime, half my fleet is is parked due to coupler snagging issues. I ordered a pair of jewelry wire bending pliers (Amazon) to adjust the trip pins, as 1/3 the price of Kadee pliers.

Actually, Kadee trip pin clearance recommendations are really only necessary for optimal performance if you plan on using their uncoupling magnets. If you are not planning on using magnetic uncoupling, you might consider even more clearance yet to really avoid snagging on rerailers, turnouts, and other track features that might cause snagging to begin with.

Actually, Kadee trip pin clearance recommendations are really only necessary for optimal performance if you plan on using their uncoupling magnets. If you are not planning on using magnetic uncoupling, you might consider even more clearance yet to really avoid snagging on rerailers, turnouts, and other track features that might cause snagging to begin with.
Some of the trip levers are actually below the top of the rails even on properly installed/gauged coupler boxes. Even to the naked eye, it's obvious the radius and even lengths of the levers vary coupler to coupler on new couplers right out of the box (sleeve). Not a good situation as turnouts function like speed brakes on the levers. They just need some tweaking. It doesn't help that my tracks have vertical dips and humps where my father over-nailed the ties down. He even nailed the cork rail-beds down. Must be 100 lbs of 3/4" finishing nails in my 4 x 8 layout.

Some of the trip levers are actually below the top of the rails even on properly installed/gauged coupler boxes. Even to the naked eye, it's obvious the radius and even lengths of the levers vary coupler to coupler on new couplers right out of the box (sleeve). Not a good situation as turnouts function like speed brakes on the levers. They just need some tweaking. It doesn't help that my tracks have vertical dips and humps where my father over-nailed the ties down. He even nailed the cork rail-beds down. Must be 100 lbs of 3/4" finishing nails in my 4 x 8 layout.
Yep. Trip pin length & radius variations are quite normal, even when new. They all need to be checked, whether a brand new car already comes equipped with them, or you install them yourself. That's just the way it is.

Some folks, who don't do magnetic uncoupling, will simply cut the trip pins off close to the bottom of the couplers. That way they have no worries at all with snagging something. Myself though, I kinda' hate to go that far, even though I don't do magnetic uncoupling. Personally, I don't mind checking and adjusting them on each car. I just eyeball them for my desired clearance. It doesn't take that long, and once done, you generally don't have to mess with them again.

The sagging trip pins is more prevalent with the older Kadee #5's than with the newer #148's, in my experience. Using the gauge, make sure that the couplers are at the correct height before adjusting the pins. The dips and humps will be a problem regardless of how precise the pin adjustment is.

Back