Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All!
35F @ 61% clear right now, weather guessers say 65F later.

Geesh, miss two days and the posts pile up.

Did one of our 'loops'. Left 0500 Sat AM heading for Polson for an American Legion district meeting. Meeting was humdrum at best. Escaped about noon for lunch with our daughter in Missoula. That didn't work as when we called, she was already eating. No biggie as we wanted to get to Home Depot and Murdock's for stuff anywho. Did that and pretty much filled the bottom of the Expedition back deck with plants, cat/dog food and some other crap. Did dinner at a restaurant almost across the street from her and in our motel's parking lot. Everybody's but my dinner was yummy; Maria had Scampi, Jordan Fish n Chips; ( family ... taste testing abounds ). I ordered a very rare hamburger steak and got almost burnt. I should have sent it back but was hungry and dealt with it. We were tired and I think we hit the bed before 2000. I woke up 2P and ran over a black coffee table in the middle of the room. No way to see it, so down I went. Coffee table lost on this fight and I came away with nothing. Got up again about 0530, so coffee ( crappy ) and headed for Spokane. It just amazes me that people in the food business do not know how to make coffee. Threw away those cups and headed for Love's going out of Missoula. Better. Got a couple of roller dogs to tide us over and continued. Made Spokane ( State Line, ID actually ) at 0800 and picked up 4 cartons of those nasty smokes. About $20 a carton cheaper than Libby so we paid for most of our gas with that. Murdock's did not have all we needed so North 40 in Ponderay for the balance. Also forgot stuff at HD so that happened to be close to North 40. Now the Expedition had more crap.

Sitting in DT Missoula at a light there was a TA right in front of us. We did not see the hit as we were looking the wrong direction. Cars went everywhere. From where they ended up, we figured that somebody turned in front of another that was going too fast. Screech's and Bang were pretty loud. Both parties were able to get out of their cars, so no major people damage; although the cars were toast. There happened to be an paramedic ambulance behind us and they turned on their lights and pulled into the middle of the intersection after we got through it.

MRL ( ok, so BNSF ) was pretty dead. Wanted to go to the East end of the yard and check out what was sitting around near the turntable. Roundhouse is gone but the pad is still there. TA ( above ) stopped that. I did see a MRL big hook sitting between other cars waiting patently at the West end ( along Broadway ) but did not stop as there was no way to get a pix. Could not see the derreck, guessing that there also was a tender/flatcar on the other side. Finally saw an oil train heading towards Paradise at St. Regis and though about chasing it up the hill as I knew I could get ahead of it and get some pix of it going across many of the river bridges. Did not want to add an additional 50/70 miles to the trip so we continued on I90.

When we went through Wallace, ID I spotted an old mine crawling down the side of the mountain. Made a note to go back and get some pix as it was interesting. Maria wants to go to St Maries as there is a 5 acre piece with house for $80K that would work for the Daughter. Cool, thought I as I have not been there for a few years and it is time for more pix. Will sneak back to Wallace for more digging at that time. Think we will do that next month for another loop as I have VA in Spokane on the 7th ( I think ).

For you CDL's out there you know about this, others may not. When I put my 'drug box' in the back, the handle got left up. Sometime after St. Regis the handle decided to fall down. I heard it as did Maria; even with the radio on. Since she started driving big truck she notices all of those strange noises and came up with a WTF was that? It is amazing how you become your vehicle!

Rambled too much.

Oh, when we got home - very rare Rib Eye to get our beef fix.

Later

Good Morning All. Clear and a chilly 45°, expecting 71° later on and then a 9-day run into the low-80's for the rest of the 10 day forecast. Rain again expected for the weekend. Happy Earth Day today to all.

While it is by no means dry from Saturday's deluge, all standing water had disappeared by sundown yesterday. The ground will still be mushy for a couple of days; the first area to dry, (the highest ground) is the last area that I mowed, so I get a break for 3-4 days. I'll get my sunshine and outdoor exercise by attacking the tree pile once again. While the pile doesn't really look any smaller, the firewood stack is definitely growing. Unfortunately I also have a few trees that didn't survive last summer's drought and heat wave that I need to remove as well. But that will be next month.

The garden survived the rainfall so far, the Green Beans all emerged sometime between Friday night and Sunday afternoon. Hopefully their raised bed dries out quickly so they don't rot! About half of the Tomato plants have flowers and a couple more Broccoli heads will be harvested tomorrow or Wednesday. As long as it stays cool at night, they won't overripen on the plants.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I decided to tune-up an old Athearn Blue Box engine.
IMG_0004.JPG

Athearn sold it as an SW1500, but it is not an engine that was ever on the Santa Fe roster.
IMG_0003.JPG

Cleaned and re-lubed it. I noted by my inspection sticker that it had been a few years since my last maintenance.
IMG_0009.JPG

I intend to use it to shuffle cars at the large ADM grain elevator next to the cemetery that I am still working on.

Troy - Cottage Pie??? What's that?
Sherrel - Best of luck with the kitchen remodel, and hope for a speedy schedule. Is the other daughter still staying with you?
David - I've posted before and I will post again, your layout scenes are really fantastic. The scene yesterday with the greenhouses is excellent. Vegetation in the locale that I model is much more sparse.
Louis - Yes the Amazon problem that we had was frustrating. When I did get someone on the Amazon phone, he could only help if there was something wrong with MY order, not any mis-delivery issues. It didn't sound like they lived in North America either. One driver did give me his dispatcher's number, but he was totally useless, I just didn't think that he cared or was willing to help. As long as the packages were getting to the recipient, his score wasn't affected. I could have just kept everything and let my neighbor complain, but I'm just not that way.

Jack Nicholson is 87 years old today.

Everyone have a marvelous Monday.

Afternoon all,

I'll catch up from page 38 in a bit.

I got another day trip destination off my Buc-ee's list today. Drove 3.5 hours east to the one in Springfield, MO and spent a couple of hours in that place. Jerky is good, BBQ isn't too bad. Had better and had a lot worse. ot a place I feel the need to make another day trip to see, but would stop again if I were close to one. Sampled a bunch. Food we got generally good, and we tried many different things we could try and brought the grandkids t-shirts. Fun Outing. Tomorrow I have to finish painting the bedroom and closet in the basement. It has had it's first coat. Grandson was a big help.

Now to work off the extra calories and get the legs working again.
A few years ago we crossed Bucee’s off our must stop and see list. One reason we stopped at McDonalds when we travel is how clean the bathrooms are. Buc-ee’s blow them away. We did the food sampling, purchase and the whole tourist thing while there and the gas prices are competitive. As you wrote no need to go out of our way but I will look for their signs and take a gas break and use the restrooms

Wisconsin gets its 1st Buc-ee’s this late Summer or Fall near the i39/i90/i94 merger outside of Madison about 15 miles from our house! They purchased 49 acres for supposedly the largest gas station in the state. That was until a couple months ago when Wisconsin’s own Kwik trip purchased 150 acres a couple blocks away. Competition, the American way!

Good Morning!
Windy and cool, but, at least the sun is sticking it's nose over the horizon.

I'm healing quickly after the hernia surgery. I attribute my lack of mojo to the broken sleep pattern I've been experiencing. Not going to complain, though.
Life is a bowl of cherries really! It's not difficult to leave all evil on the other side of the gate, and live in a happy space. I'm very happy in the conditions that I live, and even though I might sound like a grouchy old fart; I'm really not.

Friday, I received a couple of gifts in the mailbox. Don't really need them, but, they might come in handy. These are the first pre-order items I've ever received, and they were way too expensive. But, so what, every now and again.
26ft_04-21-2024 (2).JPG

26ft_04-21-2024 (1).JPG

I was having visions of a flat-car load when I ordered them.

John - I really like the plank layout idea. Well done, indeed!
David - If we had double-decker buses around here, all the high wires would be tore down. We have a high-wire pole problem here.
Troy - The flooring looks good!
Terry - Sorry, I didn't laugh at the brown trout joke. It was disgusting.
Patrick - Have a great vacation. Go somewhere!
Willie - I always thought Jack Nicholson was a predictable actor. Not a favourite. - I do like that Atheran switcher!
Boris - The Sunoco shot looks real! Well done!
Todd - At least you weren't involved in the accident. Lucky!

Well, time to shower, wash wounds, walk the dog; same ol', same ol,!
Have a great day!

Good Morning All!!
Prayers of strength, healing, positive vibes and patience for all in need. Myself included.
Bill, Great photo of Norfolk & Western #611!
Thought I saw Bob and Terry in here late last night.
Willie, I love the inspection sticker idea. Thought it was brilliant.
Karl, thanks for the backstory on the cabeeses. 🤣
Flo, if you don't mind, I'll have what Jack Nicholson is having for his birthday breakfast.

OIP (4).jpg

Good morning to all! Another nice looking start to a bright Wisconsin Spring day. 42f degrees now heading into the upper 60’s right before the rain moves in.

A quick pharmacy run this morning and a special soda run. Pepsi is 2 for $10 (today only) but with digital coupon (that Terry has) get 3 more 16.9 oz bottle 6 packs free, so it’s 5 for $10. Minimum purchase at the store is $5.00 before any sales coupons are accepted.

Hopefully when we return the dew should be gone off the grass and I can get the lawn around the house at least cut!

Grilling out tonight is a steak for me and salmon for Terry. I haven’t decided if the fries will be deep fried or done in the air fryer. Asparagus will be grilled!

Some weathering time today after the grass is cut and a shower!

Between Saturday and Sunday NHL playoff games (intermissions only) I have 81 6” tree armatures wire twisted, to be formed another time

Jack Nicholson I thought except for One Flew over the Coo-coo Nest and the Tom Cruise movie were he’s in a military court he was overrated.

Enjoy the day

Willie. Thank you for your kind comments. The layout is fun to operate. When the grandchildren are in charge anything can happen.

How to put passengers on a train. Trouble is they kept getting off the train anywhere. When the grandchildren went home I found a few scattered around the layout.

51369877688_676f432bef_o.jpg

My day so far.

439108282_10162622869064369_5549524460810210740_n.jpg

Technically, I made a small grocery run. Meijer is giving out a reusable shopping bag to every guest today for Earth Day. I used a different one when I went into Target as the next stop.

Then I got a car wash, and filled up the tank after our run to Indy on Saturday.

Still sore, but getting better. The donut stop I made in the middle of the morning errands helped.

Wife is off to the dentist to get her chompers polished.
Burgers are thawing for dinner tonight. We're in the sunny one day, followed by rain the next day cycle. So burgers tonight.

Last night I made Mai Tais for the wife and I, since I wanted something sweet, and was out of my dove chocolate squares.
437950686_7506169959450113_7980540802127463578_n.jpg

Good morning. It's sunny and 67.
I don't know if anybody remembers the issues I had when I first moved here about packages being misdelivered. Eventually it got sorted out, and things started getting delivered like they should. Well, it looks like the GPS system got updated, and UPS and Amazon both have forgotten where I live. After a slew of stuff not getting to me, and phone calls, i had to file a "never got my item" with Ebay, where UPS delivered the package somewhere else, and says it was delivered. Since UPS says they delivered it, tough tamales, and I have to pay for it, even though I never got it. I've appealed, but I'm not hopeful. I so love peeing money away like that...
This is where you complain through your payment method.

What is it?
According to the video Chad the engine was struggling on a grade. The engineer told the fireman to reduce the water being injected into the boiler which would produce more steam pressure, doing that would work but the pipes would become so hot they may melt. That's what happened and the engineer, fireman and brakeman were scalded to death.
Swal

A few years ago we crossed Bucee’s off our must stop and see list. One reason we stopped at McDonalds when we travel is how clean the bathrooms are. Buc-ee’s blow them away. We did the food sampling, purchase and the whole tourist thing while there and the gas prices are competitive. As you wrote no need to go out of our way but I will look for their signs and take a gas break and use the restrooms

Wisconsin gets its 1st Buc-ee’s this late Summer or Fall near the i39/i90/i94 merger outside of Madison about 15 miles from our house! They purchased 49 acres for supposedly the largest gas station in the state. That was until a couple months ago when Wisconsin’s own Kwik trip purchased 150 acres a couple blocks away. Competition, the American way!
We stopped at a Buc-ees for the first time on our way down to Flordia. It was quite the experiance finally seeing one in person. I was amazed at the sheer size and selection of items they had.

Plus they have a very cool logo!

Good Morning!
Windy and cool, but, at least the sun is sticking it's nose over the horizon.

I'm healing quickly after the hernia surgery. I attribute my lack of mojo to the broken sleep pattern I've been experiencing. Not going to complain, though.
Life is a bowl of cherries really! It's not difficult to leave all evil on the other side of the gate, and live in a happy space. I'm very happy in the conditions that I live, and even though I might sound like a grouchy old fart; I'm really not.

Friday, I received a couple of gifts in the mailbox. Don't really need them, but, they might come in handy. These are the first pre-order items I've ever received, and they were way too expensive. But, so what, every now and again.
View attachment 186365
View attachment 186366
I was having visions of a flat-car load when I ordered them.

John - I really like the plank layout idea. Well done, indeed!
David - If we had double-decker buses around here, all the high wires would be tore down. We have a high-wire pole problem here.
Troy - The flooring looks good!
Terry - Sorry, I didn't laugh at the brown trout joke. It was disgusting.
Patrick - Have a great vacation. Go somewhere!
Willie - I always thought Jack Nicholson was a predictable actor. Not a favourite. - I do like that Atheran switcher!
Boris - The Sunoco shot looks real! Well done!
Todd - At least you weren't involved in the accident. Lucky!

Well, time to shower, wash wounds, walk the dog; same ol', same ol,!
Have a great day!
Guy, it may sound disgusting, but I can assure you it is disgusting...

Because I got rid of Verizon cable which costs $205.00 a month I decided to pay Youtube the $139.00 a year to be add free. So, I watch a lot of videos now and the steam explosion was one of them. I also watch a lot of music videos. The'll play one after another all night long. I really like the cover of songs by the Lexington Lab Band. Most of the time they play live better than the original band would live. Here's one of the good-looking twins impersonating Stevie Nicks.
Swal

Afternoon All,

I started out the day with a walk at 66F and breezy. The sky looked like imminent rain but nothing so far. After chores I headed to the train room. I glued the windows on the frames and mounted a second exterior light on the side wall the exterior stairs will be mounted. Tomorrow I'm cleaning the sidewalk and driveway so probably no train room time.

Karl- Very nice caboose collection.

TomO- Good luck with the move. When is it happening? If you haven't seen it yet Jack N. is very good in the Shining.

Swal- Accidents usually occur due to a string of small things leading up to it and not just one thing. Interesting about the 5 minute rule. I have never heard of it.

Mike- Great video.

Joe- I think most cities are getting more violent. It's happening here in Disney's back yard. Great photo. The first backdrop is life-like.

Bill- Great photo.

David- Nice scene.

John- Very nice photos.

Todd- Sounds like a interesting trip.

Willie- Nice weathered switcher.

Guy- Nice looking trailers.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back