Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every morning 32, 33, 34, and it stays that way until around 11 am when it's starts to warm up to the low 50's. Never warm. The weather, the taxes, the crime. The only thing good about this place for me is the golf course. $1550.00 year membership cart included. I'm there 5 days a week now.
The only other good thing is if you like to fish all the New York City reservoirs are located here. 25 miles of them full of fish.
Swal

C_32.JPG

NYC_R_02.JPG

Well, howdy there internet people, and those who GPS forgot...

It's sore and tired troy again...

Hit the sack about 10:10. One pee run at 1:30, and then the cat was sitting on me about 30 minutes ago. (EDIT: forgot to hit the post button... got up at 6:30) Drug my tired arse outta bed. Wife was already up, sitting in the dark watching a vid on her iPad.

Today is a do nothing day. Except for food. I need to pull some hamburder patties out of the freezer for tonight on the grill. Left over cottage pie in the fridge for lunch. Unless SWMBO tells me different.

I've got some tanks on the hobby bench that need some mud and rust. I may poke at those today.

Good Morning All. Currently cloudy and 50°, sunshine and 64° later on. It's actually a bit cool for this time of year. The rain yesterday went on and on and on, for over 13 hours. My rain gauge has 3.3" in it; it will be a while before things dry out.

Overall, yesterday was a wasted day. I was basically grounded in the house because my deep-water boots had both finally wore out and had holes in them. Well they are 45 years old! I couldn't even go for my daily 1 mile walk. I was also cut off from the train shed by this river flowing between the house and shed.
IMG_0002.JPG

The garden to the right is on higher ground, but not by much! The wind took out one of my lawn chairs.
I did get ample time to continue my task of sorting RR related photos on the computer, so all was not lost. While yard work is off the schedule for 3-4 days, I should be able to get to the train shed after lunch if I step carefully. Tomorrow I will have to pump some water off the pool cover, so it won't take as long to do it when the time comes to remove it in a couple more weeks.

So it is back to the archives for a photo or more today.
IMG_2087.JPG

IMG_2092.JPG

IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2095.JPG

IMG_2096.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

Louis - Amazon may have a good delivery app, but getting them to correct any misinformation takes a major effort. It took over two months to get them to fix their misdelivery of my neighbors stuff, he's next door but a quarter mile away. Getting someone on the phone, whether nationally or the local contract 3rd party service was impossible. In the end, all it took was for one helpful driver to change it, after about a dozen others claimed that they couldn't fix it. It took him less than 30 seconds to delete the current info and re-enter it when he got to the right place.
Karl - I am not as close to Baltimore as you are, so I can't comment as vividly as you can. I do read the Baltimore Sun on the internet occasionally because the politics there seem so corrupt to be interesting. So I get a lot of other news that reflects what you posted. I am sure that there are some good areas. But the city is not unique. Closer to me is the city of Houston, (not the suburbs), and New Orleans.

Y'all have a wonderful Sunday.

Good morning all!

Another cool but sunny day in Northern Illinois looks like its going to get near 60 degrees later.

Not sure what today will bring, but we will see. Got most of the household chores done yesterday, so no real plans on the agenda, but wife may have other plans.

Have a safe day all!

Good morning from another bright start to a Wisconsin day. 36f degrees now and mid 50’s later. Looks like it will stay a bright day unlike yesterday where the clouds moved in around 10am.

The granddaughter arrives around 9. The SIL is a coach of the soccer team but the grandson is playing hockey in Minnesota. The g/d doesn’t want to go if her brother is not playing! His hockey team is 3-0 and he had 3 goals in yesterday afternoon’s game. If his team wins the 9am game they move to the championship game at 1.

The grass needs cutting again but my walk this morning showed me the grass is still soggy, maybe tomorrow.

Not really sure what might happen today but what does, does…

Enjoy

Good afternoon all. A bit early for Afternoon Tea, so a mocha coffee please, Flo.

Dawn is 'on the mend' and feeling a lot better. She sends her thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

After a busy week or so hopefully an easier week ahead.

Off to make a late lunch, then see the train room.

Morning folks

The neighbor is going to help me with the ridge cap on the shop this morning where the wind pulled it up. Friends visiting this afternoon.

Yesterday I finally got some time at the bench and got the pilot straightened out and soldered back together on Rayonier No 45, along with re-soldering the backhead on it. Reassembly time but those pesky M1 screws are a bit difficult to get started.

After 2 wks away, far too many pages to go thru closely.
get well wishes to all who are ailing.
checking my bank transactions yesterday, I saw purchases I didn't make. Seems someone got my debit card info & helped themselves to about 300 dollars of skip the dishes over the last 5 days. That card is now null & void. Pick up new one tomorrow.

Good Morning All!!
Prayers of strength, healing, positive vibes and patience for all in need. Myself included.
Glad to see Bill opened the door again.

cabooses.jpg

Karl, I must know more about this caboose!
What's the story?
Flo, could I please get something with bacon as an ingredient?
I'll take the large coffee with quadruple Irish creme, because it's Sunday. :)

YEAH BOY! I have been skimming along trying to speed read posts along the way.

Currently it is 55 degrees and looking for 85 under clear skies. It has been still cool/cold (to me) for way too long - I like HOT!

After my episode of trying to break concrete with my head - further Chemo has been posting of delays.
At the moment looks like 3 sessions a week starting the 30th April for 2 weeks- thei have been so many changes lately that I need a racing form to keep up with? Thank God for my wife - she has been on top of it all.

Yesterday, the Newport daughter - sent in a worker to demolish the kitchen - so now we have nothing where the kitchen stood - no stove, no oven, no sink, no dishwasher, no microwave - only the fridge was left in place. If I did not mention before, she and her husband run a restoration business and they have a ton of business. This may be slow to complete as Sara is trying to work our project in ... being 65 miles or so away adds to the scheduling and work for the electric and plumber.

Better give me a large coffee, FLO!
I'll be back!

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with chores. After that in the train room I started gluing the window frames and doors to the walls. My buddy suggested I use something in a glass bottle called Bondene. It's for resin and ABS plastic. The hobby shop had that but not any MM glue. The downside is that it has a 30-minute cure time so, I glued on what I could, and it will sit until tomorrow. I'll check the strength tomorrow.

Tom- Nice weathering. It sounds like a fun excursion.

Karl- Nice looking caboose.

Swal- Pretty picture. Do you do ice fishing like Guy? I haven't been to Myrtle Beach in a very long time. The traffic is horrendous getting there and after getting there. I find it very expensive and touristy. I don't golf so I can't say anything to that part. That said I do hope you have a good time.

Troy- Cottage pie? Is that like Shepard's Pie? Did you ensure there was nothing raised on that strip (flooring piece and concrete) like debris or a bumpy surface? Something else to try is take the backing off the flooring piece and then try it. Another possibility is the locking lip is damaged somehow.

Guy- Don't overdo it, it will just delay the healing time.

Willie- Nice detailing. I know you will dry out soon in TX.

TomO- I hope you enjoy watching your granddaughter.

David- I'm glad Dawn is feeling better. I really like the hot house scene.

moermusic- That happened to my dad last week.

Sherrel- Good luck with your treatments and kitchen upgrade.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Still not as bad as most of the pictures, but at least representative to some extent. I believe that I will add a bit more grimy black to the doors.
Willie- I think your weathering is about typical for cars traveling only Texas. A little more grimy black will pick up travel thru the industrial northern states.
Noticed some familiar vehicles in the background of the pictures. I see they are slowly spreading around on your layout.

Pretty picture. Do you do ice fishing like Guy?
Curt I use to do a lot of ice fishing on those reservoirs. I had a lot of photos of large Lake Trout, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout but I threw them all out years ago. I guess I should have saved some of them. I had a boat in one of the reservoirs. They go for miles. Going through some papers few years ago I found this 1971 picture that never made it to the trash can of the first girl I was going to marry. She caught small perch.
Swal

old_Friend_40.jpg

Last edited:
Good afternoon gang!

Clear but chillier today with a high of only 52° . Gotta run to HD with the Mrs. to pick some plants and seeds and other stuffs. Napcar later at 4:30.

Good Morning All!!
Prayers of strength, healing, positive vibes and patience for all in need. Myself included.
Glad to see Bill opened the door again.

View attachment 186311

Karl, I must know more about this caboose!
What's the story?
Flo, could I please get something with bacon as an ingredient?
I'll take the large coffee with quadruple Irish creme, because it's Sunday. :)
The little bobber caboose was built from a kit years ago. The truck sideframes , underframe, steps are all cast metal, everything else is wood, wire and castings. I can't remember the kit manufacturer, maybe Ye Old huff & puff or Redball. A good potion of my cabooses (cabeese?) are kit built, Either Quality Craft brass or other assorted wood kits. All the WM "Northeast" cabs in the pic below are Quality Craft kits
caboose fleet shot.JPG

The roster has changed as of late, the NKP cabs are gone, a half dozen P2K cabs have joined the fleet, along with 2 SMD B&O cabs and a NJ Brass WM cab.
DSCF1325 (2).jpg

Caboose 1225 is a repainted Bachmann bobber, only for "special" occasions.

Louis - Amazon may have a good delivery app, but getting them to correct any misinformation takes a major effort. It took over two months to get them to fix their misdelivery of my neighbors stuff, he's next door but a quarter mile away. Getting someone on the phone, whether nationally or the local contract 3rd party service was impossible. In the end, all it took was for one helpful driver to change it, after about a dozen others claimed that they couldn't fix it. It took him less than 30 seconds to delete the current info and re-enter it when he got to the right place.
The problem is Amazon's lack of training. The company drivers get an hour of videos to watch. We (the contractors) get to see the videos too, on our own time. You can only imagine how many skip the videos.

The videos show only basic information, nothing out of the ordinary, like your problem. It's all on the job training and some could care less.

One contractor told my friend, Richard (also a contractor) "I didn't come here to work, I came here to get paid"

With a problem like you had it takes a good driver and a good phone support agent to correct it. The driver can adjust the delivery location, but it's only temporary until he/she calls a phone support agent to make it permanent.

Like the drivers, phone support agents are poorly trained too. If I get an incompetent support agent when I call, I hang up and try again. That often happens. I don't call with simple problems; I solve them myself. I only call support if I know I need them and when I do, I need a good one!

Curt I use to do a lot of ice fishing on those reservoirs. I had a lot of photos of large Lake Trout, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout but I threw them all out years ago. I guess I should have saved some of them. I had a boat in one of the reservoirs. They go for miles. Going through some papers few years ago I found this 1971 picture that never made it to the trash can of the first girl I was going to marry. She caught small perch.
Swal

View attachment 186325
Where I work, fishing for brown trout means we have to delve into the waste tank on an RV...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back