Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continous thread

Tom,
I used to use mineral spirits.. still have some…use MS when the Turpenoid runs out
An armour modeller recommended the blue label Turpenoid..
I used to pre-dab the oils on cardboard to soak up the oil…
I forgot to do it somewhere along the line, and to be honest now I can’t tell the difference..or if makes a difference…
If I give a boxcar an oil wash or panel line work I can seal the oils with a clear coat in about an hour no probs
Dave

View attachment 185273
Great looking gondola! Nice job, I need one of those in the CPR road name too, is that a Rapido Tom?

Lookin good... the washes are great eh. Nice job so far!
Tom have you tried the sponge and oils for added surface rust effects, works wonders, great tool!
I'm really digging the scenery btw, trees look great!

Z
Thanks Z. 95% of my trees on the layout are wire armature based custom trees. I started making my own trees as I couldn’t find decent looking trees that towered above the rail cars. I followed YouTube content provider Luke Towan’s method of wire tree making.

I have used the sponge and oil method for rust effects and honestly I’ve never done it well. I prefer using pigments to create surface rust

enjoy the day

Great looking gondola! Nice job, I need one of those in the CPR road name too, is that a Rapido Tom?
The car belongs to Airbrush#5. He did a super job on it, definitely agree with you on that
IMG_5123.jpeg
I’m sure he’ll see this and be able to respond

IMG_5150.jpeg
IMG_5149.jpeg
IMG_5148.jpeg
IMG_5147.jpeg
I am satisfied with 4 of the 9 53’ Walthers well cars. A couple touch ups for the weathering and then a clear gloss coat will sprayed, hopefully Sunday. Then tags and graffiti. Yes there is a duplicated number in this batch of 4. One of DTTX 620643 has been traded to a friend who will be over within the hour.

I think you can figure which car will have the touch up work done

There are some beautiful examples of modeling in this thread!!! The weathering is exceptional!

My weathering technique was always very simplistic. The models would be sprayed with Dullcote and then chalk was dry brushed on to "rust and dust" them. Would have to search thru my files for rolling stock pics, but here's an example from the old layout. Fun times just thinking about this stuff again!

_MG_3656-3.jpg

There are some beautiful examples of modeling in this thread!!! The weathering is exceptional!

My weathering technique was always very simplistic. The models would be sprayed with Dullcote and then chalk was dry brushed on to "rust and dust" them. Would have to search thru my files for rolling stock pics, but here's an example from the old layout. Fun times just thinking about this stuff again!

_MG_3656-3.jpg
Nice

…Yes there is a duplicated number in this batch of 4. One of DTTX 620643 has been traded to a friend who will be over within the hour.

I think you can figure which car will have the touch up work done

I would not have duplicate engine numbers on my layout (I have a “retired” loco due to this - it was a gift), but when it comes to rolling stock, working in N scale gives me “flexibility”:

1. Do nothing (the numbers are impossible to see unless holding cars for inspection) and just separate them on the train a bit.
2. A deft touch can turn a “3” into an “8”, a “4” into a “1”, etc. Ok, I’m not as deft as I would like, so I don’t do it to often.
3. Or the #1 tool in my box: A strategic streak of rust on a steel car, severe letter fading & running, or paint peeling on a wood box car.

Hey, when you’re working in N Scale, and you’re modeling a 40-car coal train for a fallen flag that is “second tier” in popularity (and thus selection), and you’re thus pretty much limited to the secondary market, you get creative & make do.

Last edited:
I’m done for the day! As most of you know I limit myself to 2 hour sessions at the weathering bench with at least 90 minutes between sessions. I hit the 6 hour mark today…

Some happenings

The APG tank car is clear coated with a fade coming next
IMG_5159.jpeg

The EEC boxcar has a fade coat, clear coat, some pan pastels and pigments on the roof. It just received another clear coat. The weathering is to come

The BNSF boxcar has a fade coat and a clear coat. Weathering is next
IMG_5160.jpeg
IMG_5161.jpeg

These well cars are going to drive me battier than I already am. Already faded, but turns out NOT clear coated. it was onto the weathering and I tried to put Tamiya over Vallejo. The interaction was like curdled milk! So they were stripped 1st thing this morning. After a light soapy (dawn dish soap) cleaning and a warm water rinse I faded the units again! These are drying after another clear account has been applied

IMG_5157.jpeg
IMG_5158.jpeg

2 PT 40’ containers from Portugal and 2 from Aurora Miniatures were cleaned, lightly faded and clear coated. A slight weathering is next

3 CMO covered hoppers from the Operator series from Scaletrains, cleaned and clear coated. 2 of these will be medium weathered and the 2 others will be heavily weathered.

That is the FINAL client ST reefer with the start of custom graffiti and a light weathering of kick up along the frame and slightly on the door. I do have 6 of mine own to do but honestly if I never saw another ST reefer it would be alright! 32 of them are ready for shipping with 36 already out the door. If you need a new in the box ST reefer contact me. I have a few new in the box I can sell…
IMG_5155.jpeg

Here is the fourth CMO covered hopper
IMG_5156.jpeg

I do have 2 of my own CMO cars but I left in the box and on the shelf!

Yep, I have been busy.

Clear coats are Tamiya xf86 flat clear thinned 50/50 with Tamiya thinner x20A

Fade coats were all Tamiya xf-2 flat white. Thinner was the 91% concentration of Isopropyl Alcohol in a 20% paint to 80% thinner mix

The roof pigment on the box cars is Dark Rust from AK Interactive applied to a base coat of AK Streaking grime while still wet and tamped down

Any questions, comments and thoughts are welcome

Last edited:
I would nothave duplicate engine numbers on my layout (I have a “retired” loco due to this - it was a gift), but when it comes to rolling stock, working in N scale gives me “flexibility”:

1. Do nothing (the numbers are impossible to see unless holding cars for inspection) and just separate them on the train a bit.
2. A deft touch can turn a “3” into an “8”, a “4” into a “1”, etc. Ok, I’m not as deft as I would like, so I don’t do it to often.
3. Or the #1 tool in my box: A strategic streak of rust on a steel car, severe letter fading & running, or paint peeling on a wood box car.

Hey, when you’re working in N Scale, and you’re modeling a a 40-car coal train for a fallen flag that is “second tier” in popularity (and thus selection), and you’re pretty much limited to the secondary market, you get creative & make do.
I generally don’t worry about duplicated numbers but in the case of these well cars I KNOW somewhere in the very near future I will sell off a full 30 car stack train or 2. Duplicate numbers in a consist are frowned upon when selling! So I traded with a buddy to keep the train numbers unmuddled!

All my pulp cars have a duplicate number. I switch them from loaded to empty between paper mill shifts

I’m done for the day! As most of you know I limit myself to 2 hour sessions at the weathering bench with at least 90 minutes between sessions. I hit the 6 hour mark today…

Some happenings

The APG tank car is clear coated with a fade coming next
View attachment 185581

The EEC boxcar has a fade coat, clear coat, some pan pastels and pigments on the roof. It just received another clear coat. The weathering is to come

The BNSF boxcar has a fade coat and a clear coat. Weathering is next
View attachment 185583View attachment 185582

These well cars are going to drive me battier than I already am. Already faded, but turns out NOT clear coated. it was onto the weathering and I tried to put Tamiya over Vallejo. The interaction was like curdled milk! So they were stripped 1st thing this morning. After a light soapy (dawn dish soap) cleaning and a warm water rinse I faded the units again! These are drying after another clear account has been applied

View attachment 185584View attachment 185585

2 PT 40’ containers from Portugal and 2 from Aurora Miniatures were cleaned, lightly faded and clear coated. A slight weathering is next

3 CMO covered hoppers from the Operator series from Scaletrains, cleaned and clear coated. 2 of these will be medium weathered and the 2 others will be heavily weathered.

That is the FINAL client ST reefer with the start of custom graffiti and a light weathering of kick up along the frame and slightly on the door. I do have 6 of mine own to do but honestly if I never saw another ST reefer it would be alright! 32 of them are ready for shipping with 36 already out the door. If you need a new in the box ST reefer contact me. I have a few new in the box I can sell…
View attachment 185587
Here is the fourth CMO covered hopper
View attachment 185586

I do have 2 of my own CMO cars but I left in the box and on the shelf!

Yep, I have been busy.

Clear coats are Tamiya xf86 flat clear thinned 50/50 with Tamiya thinner x20A

Fade coats were all Tamiya xf-2 flat white. Thinner was the 91% concentration of Isopropyl Alcohol in a 20% paint to 80% thinner mix

The roof pigment on the box cars is Dark Rust from AK Interactive applied to a base coat of AK Streaking grime while still wet and tamped down

Any questions, comments and thoughts are welcome

Man.... I don't know how you do it, that's a lot to take on and just keep going and going... and to receive stuff do the work and then ship it out and to receive more and on and on....
I'm getting burned out just watching ya!
I need a break just after doing one car or loco myself.
Great work Tom!

Z

Back