Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon all,

My contact with fellow employees part of my week is half over.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 65F with a hazy sky. After breakfast I did a couple of chores then headed to the train room. I started painting the different parts of the kit. I figure I have 2 more days of painting before I can start assembly. Tomorrow morning, I have a dental cleaning to do.

Willie- Good news about the water. They look like an interesting couple. Nice decaling job.

Swal- I think it's mainly due to the significant elevation change and weight that they are pulling.

Bill- Interesting motor.

Todd- Nice photo.

Patrick- What's the name of the chain?

Mike- Watch out for rip currents if you swim.

Troy- Good luck with your files.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Spangles. They started here in Wichita and have them throughout the state. I don't know where they are franchised otherwise.

Tom- Flakes are currently flying in the Hub City. The prediction is for 3-6 inches of the white stuff by morning commute.
Mike

The snow started with huge white flakes in between all the rain drops at about 1pm. Slush forming on the patio and at the front entrance. Maybe 15 minutes later the rain drops were all snow. 3.5 hours later I have at least 4” of very wet snow and it’s still coming down heavy. It’s pretty out there but not nice. I actually thought I'd still be able to grill my dinner on the patio, nope, that’s not happening.

Well howdy there internet peeps, It's Troy again

Back from the convention full of people.

I'm done peopling for a few days. Had an invitation to Lunch from someone I met there, and I had to put if off for a week. I'm peopled out. Will resume peopling next week.

And in other news, the hard drive crash and death of the laptop is still sending ripples through my world.

View attachment 185315

I'm trying to upload printable files to a book printer based in the UK (with a partner in the US) to cover my three biggest markets (US, UK, EU)... and ...

I didn't have back ups current of all my book files. Of course, the best selling starter one of series one, is missing.

So I have to work on importing the PDF of it, saved on one of the various print services I use, and go chapter by chapter to import it into my main writing software. Then I have to clean up all of the page numbers, and title/author name from the top of the pages. I don't need those in the master file.

Then I have to clean up the line formatting, and end of line hyphenated words. Most of the text reflows, but if it had a word get hyphenated, then there are several lines to manually clean up.

Annoying. But my own fault for not making sure my backups were up to date. Yes, I know about time machine. My preference is to back up to drop box, and thumb drives. I do that every time I write a chapter. But, the old books fell through the cracks.

Time to crack on with the cut and paste. I've got some grandmum beta readers already signed up search for any formatting errors I miss today.
You might try removing the drives, get an adapter for about $15 and plug them into a USB port. You might be able to read them and copy the data somewhere else. I did that for my wifes Laptop, and mine also. I have since sworn off Laptops, I just built a Desktop, and have access to all of the old laptops data.

Well howdy there again.

Have the report that the forum was extremely slow when some idiot hit the power pole just outside of our neighborhood. Power was out for about an hour. Since I didn't want to wasted phone batter, I just stared at the last Coffee Shop post until the power came back on. :eek: ;):cool: /joke

It's flying now.

the reason I don't use time machine is that I had three macs in a row that had issues with certain programs right out of the box.... finally figured out that some old issues were floating around in the old system files, that despite getting software updates, still caused an odd problem from time to time. The next time I upgraded the MacBook, I didn't install the TM backup. Instead I did clean installs of the software from web downloads of the latest versions. Then I migrated data with a portable hard drive (not TM).

Problem solved.

Now I keep the data that's shared in my IOS accounts in iCloud. My docs and pics are duplicated to Drop Box, and I do document backups to thumb drives.

That document I was copying over chapter by chapter is done, and out with the typo hunters. It's not the misspellings I'm worried about. Instead we have to watch for lines that were combined, or separated, since I was copying from a pdf. Even though they didn't highlight, the COPY grabbed the Book Title/Author Name/Page number from every page set. Pain in the butt to clean up. But it beats having to scan the book, or retype it.

You might try removing the drives, get an adapter for about $15 and plug them into a USB port. You might be able to read them and copy the data somewhere else. I did that for my wifes Laptop, and mine also. I have since sworn off Laptops, I just built a Desktop, and have access to all of the old laptops data.
The newer Apple computers have integrated storage, and you can't remove it.

the reason I don't use time machine is that I had three macs in a row that had issues with certain programs right out of the box.... finally figured out that some old issues were floating around in the old system files, that despite getting software updates, still caused an odd problem from time to time. The next time I upgraded the MacBook, I didn't install the TM backup. Instead I did clean installs of the software from web downloads of the latest versions. Then I migrated data with a portable hard drive (not TM).
You can still use Time Machine. I don't restore when I buy a new Mac from my Time Machine backup but I do use it to recover individual files that I need to recover. Just an additional arrow in the quiver.

The newer Apple computers have integrated storage, and you can't remove it.
Thats the primary reason, that Windows became the predominant PC. My employer at the time, made the processor chips for Macs. We had Mac PCs. They were by far the best PCs. But, they were totally proprietary, and cost a lot. Microsoft, had cheap PCs, and any amateur could order some parts and build one. Apple was a graphical interface and MS had DOS. Early Windows was, to use a technical term, Poo-Poo. Win 3.1 didn't even have a TCP stack. But, windows was basically free. I think MS didn't care, because they got more systems out there. They made their money from corporate licenses, and the general users develop apps that made more people dependent on windows. Even my employer, used more pcs than Macs.

At work, I never used a PC. Went from a Mac, to Sun Workstation. Only used windoze, for games at home. Built my on pcs to be able to play at max.

Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

1712135286319.png

Nickel Plate engine 720 is crossing the Pennsy’s Indianapolis to Logansport line at Frankfort, Indiana on August 11, 1954. In a few hours the train will be pulling into Lima, Ohio.
(Photo courtesy of the Nickel Plate Road Historical & Technical Society)

Morning all,

Currently 43° and clear with a stiff breeze out of the north. 61° for the high later on. Frost advisory for the immediate area overnight with a low predicted of 32°, but looking like this may be the last freeze of the year. Our average date of last frost is April 10th.

Requested a day and a half of vacation nest week. That leaves me with another day and a half to burn before May 11th. If approved (I think it will be), I've already worked my last Friday before the schedule change. I'm off this Friday to work on server updates on Saturday.

BBL

Good morning gang!

Day 3 of our rain event.

46° and raining, supposed to get heavy this afternoon with a high of 55°. The good news is tomorrow the rain is supposed to stop but we may not see full sunshine til later Friday. But cloudy is better than rainy at this point. Hopefully the small pond in the front yard will recede by the weekend so I can mow. All this rain has turned the yard to a lush coat of green!!

Good morning from a real badly confused So. Central Wisconsin. Mother Nature has thrown us quite the curve ball. Depending where you are 3-8” of heavy wet white stuff fell yesterday after noon. Opening the garage door at midnight to check the snow depth with a ruler I had 5+”on the driveway (it’s a wooden ruler). The weather guessers have a warning up saying another 5” are possible over the next 12 hours. The interesting part is the wind right now. If it’s snowing it’s coming down sideways. The wind is at 19mph and gusting into the 30’s. The tree tops are in full exercise mode…

Based on the weather notice on the school district website, the district does not believe we will get more significant snow. OR, they don’t want to make up for all the snow days taken that were 1/2 this bad. They already added 3 days to the end of the year. They are on the “normal” late start Monday schedule. If the school was cancelled I would have had the grandson today. The granddaughter will be at the Children’s hospital having 2 crowns put in and a tooth removal. Basically it’s an operation as they will put her out with a full medical team. I guess because she is Down Syndrome they do not take any chances. Her parents are rightly worried over this.

My plan was to grill my dinner yesterday out on the patio as I really didn’t believe the doom prediction of the weather guessers. So instead of a steak and a twice baked 1/2 potato I had a bowl of hot oatmeal. Fell to sleep for at least 45 minutes on my chair in the cave reading a real in your hands book. Today, without the grandson coming over, I may live at the weathering bench. I think the mood is right

Mike, your vacay may not be going exactly as planned but your are missing the lovely Springtime Midwest weather, that’s a plus!

Enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Absolutely clear and 46° this morning. Back to shorts weather today with lower 70's forecast for later. Regular Spring-like conditions for the next 10 days after the chilly day yesterday. The NWS is still predicting cloudy skies here on Monday for the eclipse, kind of a shame since we're in the near totality zone.

Today's plan includes driving to the feed store to purchase tomato and pepper plants. Not all of the seedlings that I started indoors have survived, but they weren't intended to be the main crop to begin with.

I was out in the train shed yesterday, but it was just a short time. I did spray dull coat on all of the decaled cars. No weathering yet but that's next. It's the beginning of a new quarter, so those of you who know me, know that I am starting the next 1/8 of layout cleaning this month. I started by visually inspecting along the tracks in this area for any loose debris/parts that I don't want to lose by vacuuming. Found just this one.
IMG_1529.JPG

I wasn't too hard to locate the well car that it came off.
IMG_1530.JPG

It didn't take too long to reapply it since it wasn't actually broken.
IMG_1532.JPG

This is really a nicely detailed Athearn well car, part of a three car set. See the brake hose in the above shots.
IMG_1533.JPG

I still have a stash of parts from previous cleanings that I haven't located a home for yet.
IMG_1531.JPG

Patrick - The company that I worked at for years, tried the 4-10 hour work schedule in the plant back in the late-80's, with overwhelming success. However they ended it after about 10 months because of all of the bitching from the office staff because they couldn't have that schedule also. It cut the absentee rate considerably because the factory employees knew that they could schedule medical visits without taking a day off.
Tom O - Kudos on voting. Hope your favored candidates win. Looks like uninstructed made some gains in both party's primary's.
Curt - Yes the plumbing company couple is an interesting pair. To start, he is 30 years older than she is! But they do a damn fine job when working for me. That picture is from their Facebook page. Monday's repair is the 8th time that I have used them and I have had no callbacks for any of the jobs that they did. I have never had to wait more than 6-8 hours for one of both to show up. Only two of the eight jobs have been emergencies.

Everyone have a wonderful Wednesday

I have to start finishing up my income tax. I hate having to do it, but it's got to get done. I do have one problem to solve but one of the members said he would help me out with that, My carpenter golf friend is finishing up installing all the new doors I bought today and then back to getting my taxes done.
Tom I see the new USGA golf handicap rules have changed. If you only play 9 holes, they take half your handicap, add that to the course par for nine holes and make up an 18-hole score.
Swal

Good Morning, folks!

It's raining during a posted forecast of 3% chance of rain; 34F.

My 2 grand-daughters were over to try their hand at running the train back and forth on my layout. They naturally brought to attention, the fault areas that will not survive a 5yr olds operation. Like Sylvan vehicle models being on the layout. Those break really easy. Also, sign posts protruding out from the front of a building are not a good idea.
But, the pure joy those two little girls experienced nullifies any damage that was done.

Today, I need to begin tiling the bathroom reno shower surround. This is the job I've been avoiding like it was the plague. The reno is at the point I can't hide from it no more.
I did manage to cut the first tile to fit perfectly around the tap fittings:
ShowerTile_04-03-2024.JPG

I was very worried about breaking that tile during the cut. There's just not much extra tile to warrant mistakes.

It's very nice to see the forum is working back up to it's greatness. Well done!

Suppose I need to get to it; walk the dog in the rain, and then start tiling.
Have a wonderful day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back