Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
10580110_725694650800252_8693508092198391388_n.jpg

Morning all...

Need me one of them chocolate-covered donuts, FLO. Just leave the pot of coffee here. Got a longer straw?

Woke at 3:30 for the midnight pee run. Realized my back was aching. So I took an ibuprofen at 4 and hit the recliner. Cat and I fell asleep around 4:30. got up 45 minutes ago.

Wife is coming back today from Indy. Her real sis has a follow-up with the gall bladder surgeon tomorrow. And wife has to take her mom down to see the tax man tomorrow.

They're leaving honorary sis in Indy - BUT the docs are talking about a Friday release! Thirty years ago, when my mother got her transplant, she was in hospital for almost a fortnight.

I need to get some words worded, but I also need to make a grocery run. We've got rain on the radar
Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 7.21.09 AM.png

looks like its moving to the NE, so I might be able to shower, and head out between the clouds.

I know where the Amish donut place is. Just beyond the grocery. Wife needs her 2 liters of diet caffeine free soda

I'll be back!

Morning all,

39° and partly cloudy with a high later of 60°.

Not sure exactly why, but woke up at 1:30 this morning and then every 1/2 hour later. Hands are feeling "fat" and stiff this morning. I can't type worth a darn, but have several meetings today. I'm trying to swear off the ibuprofen, but when you need it...

Hopefully I get the new carb for the tiller today. I still have to go back to the daughter's house and get the garage door fixed. I know that was eating at me overnight, although I really don't know why. I've replaced and adjusted garage doors without the torsion springs many times.

BBL

Good Morning All. Clear and 54°, with a cold front beginning to move in. It will only be in the lower 70's today after several days of 80's. Still have rain in the forecast for Thursday and Friday; and then only into the 60's for the weekend. I've already got my dry firewood inside next to the stove.

Beautiful day yesterday and I spent a lot of time outside enjoying the sunshine and doing various tasks in the yard. I started to clean up and straighten out the firewood storage area, gathering up broken off pieces of bark and random wood chips; re-stacking kindling that had gone astray and generally readying the area for mowing without obstacles. Today I will consolidate all of the dried, aged wood into one stack so I have all of the remaining area for green wood to cure. I later mowed about an acre with the mower deck on the lowest possible setting, thus flattening out anthills and crawdad chimneys in more remote areas. I also sat back and watched the garden growing for a short while. Still haven't attacked the tree pile yet, but everything is ready.

Not a lot of visible work was done out in the train shed yesterday. I added about 40 headstones to the cemetery and made and painted some more over at the workbench. It just doesn't seem like I'm making much progress there. There's a lot more headstones needed than I expected. Since I had the paint out, I put finishing touches on some figures that just needed a few dabs here and there. I am looking at the major project list to see which one I will tackle after the cemetery.
Seems like everyone liked the review of some of Garry's pictures yesterday. Here's one of the man himself that he posted in 2022.
133918-097813a85d4a44267c7739fe5e3f05a1.jpg

And here's a few more from my "inspiration" folder
index3.jpg

proxy1.jpg

proxy2.jpg
proxy4.jpg

proxy5.jpg

Louis - You're not really an oddball for liking your "roundy-round" layout. Both of my brothers have continuous run layouts. One has a Lionel layout where he can run 7 trains at once on various interlocking loops, while the other has 2 loops of HO and an automated street trolley. However he is starting to cut in some industries for switching after seeing what I do.
Bill - I like the station in Plymouth. It's too bad that the graffiti vandals have defaced it.
Patrick - The grain elevator that I posted is not the only one in that town, there's another equally impressive there. They are the two largest ones in Texas, although neither is as big as the one that you posted the video of. They're both on the BNSF main line a couple of miles south of the Alliance Yard, and upwards of 50 trains a day pass by. I railfan north of there nearer to my house, and currently there's only 36-40 trains a day there.
Cheri - Nice looking pair of doggies.
Alan - Thanks for the info.
Mike - You posted about the modern day unit trains. Unfortunately that has made modern day railfanning rather boring for me. Since Alliance Yard with it's giant intermodal facility is just south of where I observe, nearly half of all trains are container trains. Another large group are unit grain trains headed for the ports on the Gulf, or empties headed back to the Midwest.

Get out and vote today if your state is part of the Super Tuesday marathon. Vote as often as you can!o_O
Everyone have a great day today.

Alan - Thanks for the info.
You're welcome. A few other interesting things about Tru-Color:

My biggest issue was the lack of consistency in thinning. the acetone molecule is so agile it migrates right through the plastic bottle so you may need to thin anywhere from not at all to 70% depending on the shelf time your bottle has had. You have to thin on a case-by-case basis and use the skim milk rule to judge when you have the proper mixture. The good part of this is you can be down to sludge in the bottle but adding their thinner completely reconstitutes the paint.

I have thinned paint for spraying and with Tru-color you can dump your thinned paint right back into the bottle with no issue. This is because it's actually an ink, not a paint. It reminds me of the old Accuflex, or rather Accuflex as it should have been without all the chemistry issues.

Her's the tough one for us cheapskates: USE THEIR THINNER! It's tempting to just use acetone, but your results won't be up to snuff. Guess how I know. It's expensive! $44.00 or so for 16 oz, but that will last a long time. There are other things in it besides acetone. I think there is a flow improver and a mild retarder to keep it from drying too fast which gives you that sandy finish or orange peel. Just my opinion but that's based on a ton of experience and having made most of the mistakes I speak of!

There is supposed to be a brushable version now, but I haven't tried it yet. Don't even try brushing the original. It's just too thin.

Good morning All!!!
Loved that shiny NYC F unit Bill!!!
Flo, could I please get the number 5 special?
Says it's the "Big Eddie" and comes with 5 pancakes, 5 scrambled eggs, 5 mix and match breakfast meats, plus 5 ounces of home fries.
Oh! I see there's 5 slices of toast too. Please make those rye with butter.
And coffee too!
Yes. Large with double cream and sugar.

EDIT:

Flo, could you please toss a side of bacon each for Sherrel and Troy?
Yup. They've been good.
I can vouch for that. :)

Last edited:
I should try and call GARRY's widow again; I did stay in contact a few times after he passed.
Very nice lady.

TROY - I had a hard time finding "the Fort" on the map - don't place that blue marker on top of it!
BILL - I've always liked the NYC lightning stripe with the gray paint - not the black?
TERRY - I have many wounds from those trailer hitches - not funny!
ALAN - I had a 13 ton On3 shay at one time - should have kept it! Looked exactly the same except mine was still shiny brass.

Does anyone here use Apache Open Office? I surely would like to have it on my MAC?
I tried to download it, but cannot figure out how to install it? I'm old, thick, and stupid!

Good morning All!!!
Loved that shiny NYC F unit Bill!!!
Flo, could I please get the number 5 special?
Says it's the "Big Eddie" and comes with 5 pancakes, 5 scrambled eggs, 5 mix and match breakfast meats, plus 5 ounces of home fries.
Oh! I see there's 5 slices of toast too. Please make those rye with butter.
And coffee too!
Yes. Large with double cream and sugar.
You left out the extra side of bacon for TROY and myself!

There is always an open door for a good man! Now more so than ever!

I don't have a permanent layout currently. When I did, I was the oddball that just liked to watch trains run round and round. 🤪

Like Arthur from the "King of Queens" said, "Don't let the Bastards drag you down!"
There are so many aspects to this hobby, so many choices, you made a choice and if it makes you happy, end of. Many people do not at present have an actual layout, and I for one am happy to listen to their ideas their hopes, and most especially any ex railway workers who have insight.

Ok I made it to page 29 of 66! I may try again later …66!!!! wow you guys can gossip, and I do not even to delete my input…
Bruette loved the cat,
,y take on cheese,
favourite is feta with olives in a olive oil and herb base,
strong enlish cheeses of course and blues,
strong Italian cheese dulchelatte on a steak a favourite
soft spreadable processed cheese ok if flavoured
Grated mozzerella ok for Keto cooking, white ball real buffalo mozzarella grilled with tomatoes herbs and olive oil yum yum
cheesecake….oh yeah, and I can make Keto versions
once used digestives and butter as base now use chipped almonds and butter and vanilla flavour base, nowadays heavy on heavy cream and a little cheese spread, previously ANYTHING described as cheesecake….anything!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back