Curves

kingnothing395

Is there a combination of 15", 18", 22", and 24" track pieces that gets close to a half-circle? When I picked up my oval-shaped layout, I found that I had used a combination of different curve sizes, but still had an oval. I've been trying to replicate it, but can't seem to make it work again.

6-15", 6-18" or 8-22" each makes a half circle. I have no experience with 24" so I cannot accurately answer that one, but I believe that it is also 8 pieces.
You can also use a combination of 4-22" and 3-18", using 2-22" leading into and out of the 3-18" pieces. Another combination that works is 2-18" leading into 2-15" with 2 more 18" coming out.
All combinations that I have posted will make a true half circle without any fudging or forcing.

Thank you! In the past, I must've used 2-22" then 3-18" then 2-22" pieces. I thought we tried that the other day, but I'll try it again.

Thank you! In the past, I must've used 2-22" then 3-18" then 2-22" pieces. I thought we tried that the other day, but I'll try it again.
It worked! Thanks again!
Good subject. For a little more insight (or geometry, as the case may be🤪)..................

As most folks know, a full circle is generally defined as 360°.
22" radius track sections are each 22-1/2° (or 16 pieces to a full circle). Therefore, 4 of these track sections add up to 90°.
18" radius track sections, and 15" radius too, are each 30° (or 12 pieces to a full circle). Therefore, 3 of these track sections add up to 90°.
And there you have it - 90° plus 90° equals 180°, or a half of a circle, regardless of the two different radii we used here!

In addition, one could also make use of 1/2 and 1/3 sections of curved track sections if available in the various radii, in order to come up with a total of 180°. For example, one could start with one 22' radius curve (22-1/2°), then one 18" radius curve (30°), then two sections and a half section of 15" radius curves (75° total), then an 18" radius curve (30°), then finish with a 22" radius curve (22-1/2°). Total: 180°, or a half a circle.
And for that matter, you can also use the same logic for a quarter of a circle (90°) or any other portion of a circle you want to use.

And another neat thing using the aforementioned example - entering a curve and leaving a curve with a larger radius than the main curve is a GOOD thing - it's known as an "easement", or "easements". The real railroads do this. They start into the curve by slowly inducing a curve, then spiraling down to a minimum radius, then maybe (or maybe not) going through this fixed minimum radius, then spiraling back up and out of the curve. Model trains can somewhat replicate this with sectional curved tracks of various radii, or maybe even better yet using flex track. Either way, our model trains can run better and look better too when using easements, as opposed to slam-dunking directly into and out of one, single fixed radius of curved track, as many layouts do. :)👍

I had never really considered this topic. Interesting. I had to play with SCARM for a little bit to visualize it. 🤣

I also found, using the Atlas Section track, that starting with a 24", followed by a 22", three 18's, then a 22 and 24 would create a great curve with easements. At least it looked good in SCARM, anyway.

I had never really considered this topic. Interesting. I had to play with SCARM for a little bit to visualize it. 🤣

I also found, using the Atlas Section track, that starting with a 24", followed by a 22", three 18's, then a 22 and 24 would create a great curve with easements. At least it looked good in SCARM, anyway.
Not only looks good on paper (or the computer screen, for the modern generation), but trains will look and operate much better going around such curves too. And another benefit, said 180 degree half-circle won't take up much more width than a half-circle of only 18" radius curves. It would still easily fit on a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood, and have some room to spare.

I have a virtually similar situation on one of my O-gauge layouts. Using MTH Real Trax, each curved end of the outer oval consists of an O-82 curved section, an O-72, three O-54's, an O-72 and an O-82. At right about 60-1/4" across the half-circle, this amounts to not a whole lot more room than if I had strictly used the 54" dia. curved sections. And I can really see a big difference in what the easements make - Whether I'm running a full 1/48 scale train, or a traditional-sized train, or an O-27 sized train, they all look so much better while traveling over this setup. 👍

Back