Guidance on Turnouts and Remote Control

dgruver911

Good evening. Just joined this forum in hopes of getting some guidance and direction.
Getting back into the hobby after about a 30 year absence. Spent the last 3+ years cobbling together a 2 double loop HO layout in a 10x10 room. DCC (which I'm learning but still a newbie at) including 2 DS64s and a digitrax Zephyr.
Made the executive decision this weekend that the current benchwork and track plan don't work for me so I'm going to modify/rip it out and start over.
I was using Atlas Code 83 track on foam with 11 Atlas remote turnouts with snap relays that I never fully hooked up.
Here's the quandary.. I'd like to look at other switch machine options that are user friendly from a central control point or remote DCC throttle with consideration for LED indicators for switch position.
Any/all suggestions appreciated. TIA.

Don

Welcome to the forums Don, glad to have you with us.

I'm not qualified to answer your question but be patient, somebody will.

Hi
I would do a quick google search, there should be some info out there about what your trying do.

At a pinch, I used Hornby and Peco turnout motors (not sure if the Atlas ones work the same way) also had the old Lima points which also required the following to work.
  • a Capacity Discharge Unit so as not to fry the motors they do not like a constant power just a short bursts
  • a replay to switch LED's at the control panel. the relay was power by the CDU to throw the replay on one side while the power for the LEDs came in from the other side.
  • I use two power supply's one for the CDU and one for the LED's

I ran DCC together with the above setup. I didn't use DCC as I didn't think I would be quick enough to change the turnouts off the DCC controller. I just used the DCC for the locos.

Cheers

I use Peco PL-10s. They mount under the turnout so while not as nice looking as say, Tourist they look better than the Atlas side mounted ones.

They can be easily connected to a stationary decoder and remotely controlled with DCC

Back