Front End Friday

Happy Friday everyone enjoy your weekend
38B8E5B9-8E41-41EB-8468-FAFAC8EB6C41.jpeg
0D60DBCF-58FC-42E1-9605-5606449A1D9F.jpeg

Talk about a hammerhead, here is one for you. Had this on an eastbound out of Grand Junction in 1999-ish. Made a HO scale model of this one but sold it, in a fit of madness one time. I good friend bought it and he reminds me of it every time he brings it over for an op session.
5514 13.jpg

5514 10.jpg

5514 7.jpg

5514 4.jpg

5514 3.jpg

5514 1.jpg

Thanks for stopping for a look.

Talk about a hammerhead, here is one for you. Had this on an eastbound out of Grand Junction in 1999-ish. Made a HO scale model of this one but sold it, in a fit of madness one time. I good friend bought it and he reminds me of it every time he brings it over for an op session.
View attachment 167414

View attachment 167415

View attachment 167416

View attachment 167417
View attachment 167418
View attachment 167419

You built one, you could always do another!

I should have said "unique on the BN" remembering ATSF had 8 SD45-2B and 23 GP60B, all with the dynamics where the cab usually is.

View attachment 167414

View attachment 167415

View attachment 167416

View attachment 167417
View attachment 167418
View attachment 167419

Cool shots. I did not know Santa Fe had those.

In my email today was an announcement from Scale Trains that they are going to make a plastic model of BN 7502, the “hammer head” B unit.

Cool shots. I did not know Santa Fe had those.
ATSF liked "B" units. As Paul posted, they had 8-SD45-2B's as well as 3-SD45B's. Also as he mentioned, they had the only GP60B's built by EMD. ATSF rebuilt the SD45-2B's in their San Bernardino shop from Nov '87 to Jan '88. All made it over to BNSF and some were repainted in 2000. The SD45B's were done in the same shop in 1984, but I don't remember their history after that. The GP60B's were built that way and all merged into BNSF. All were still in active service in 2017, but I believe that at least 6 are now in the dead line. I think that the SD45B's were retired soon after the merger and I know that all of the SD45-2B's were retired by 2009.

Seen outside Amsterdam Central Station 30th April 2023

David

Nice Thalys. Where was this taken, are you east of the platforms? It's been a couple years since I've been there, but I could never seem to find a good place around Centraal Station to take pictures, aside from inside the station itself.

I also miss all the goodies I used to bring back to the states from Jumbo supermarket out there.

I found myself staring at the ballast, the color specifically. I noticed it's all brown on the inside on the mainlines and still somewhat clean on the track on the right that doesn't see a lot of use. Something to keep in mind.
That is how it looks up here where the taconite trains run, in our case it is the dust from the mines. Most of our tracks are not like that.

Here is my Front End contribution, actually got it on the right day

IMG_3444.JPG

a couple of my switch loco's

Dave LASM

Here's a couple, one of the head end of the train in the company notch climbing Bozeman Pass west out of Livingston, MT on the evening of April 28, 2018.

My 80 year old dad and I were in Montana attending the funeral of one of his childhood friends. You can't help but be introspective remembering someone's life. Things change, time marches on, am I doing something worthwhile? am I making the world a better place? Where will I end up? End up like these dinosaur fossils shipped off to a far away place to fuel someone else's hopes, dreams and iPhones?

Change is evident here as well, it wasn't that long ago the hills echoed with sounds of SD40-2s being helped by SD45s. Not long before that it was Northern Pacific's Yellowstones moving the tonnage up this hill.

DSC_5811.jpg

At the other front, BNSF 9764 is the rear DPU. Pushing on the SD70MAC's coupler, MRL 4405, 250 and 4407 are adding another 11,800 hp to get the coal train over the mountain and on to Robert's Bank for export to run those iPhones.

DSC_5842.jpg

Last edited:

Back