Running Bear's February 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on the two MRL GP9's. The poster of the video on MRL@groups.io confirmed that it was recorded on Friday just gone and that they were still working together yesterday. Athearn Genesis have done the chop nose version of the GP9, but oddly only the high nose in the first MRL livery. One low (chop) nose I found was liveried for CNW. Going through Brent Mueller's 2018 roster info (from the same .io) there are 3 listed as still on it that were acquired from CNW, #'s 130, 131 & 132. #'s 130 & 132 had been chop nosed by CNW and 131 by MRL. Wonder how long I'll have to wait, they've still got 3 more GP35's to do and many more SD70ACe's

Walthers has done one, see them coming up all the time on ebay, but only in the Trainline version.

Walthers has done one, see them coming up all the time on ebay, but only in the Trainline version.

You don't want the Walthers trainline one. Fair runner, but has the same non-scale width hood of the early Athearn BB shell. Truck detail is also a little light.
Chop nose one yourself! Can't be that hard! I've done a bunch myself! The hardest part in the 1st cut!
017.JPG
012.JPG
WMGP9-35.jpg

L8ter guys!

Morning all,

Rainy and 45* this morning. Had nearly 2" of rain overnight. Not enough to be anything but a wet morning. We needed the rain (beats the alternative). We may have a dusting of snow tonight, but probably not.

Grandson is officially 10 today.

Not much doing on the trains.

Chessie_system3: 1st generation Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon on the blower resistor? While I've had other vehicles do it, this truck is notorious for it. GM recalled the H3 for it, but not the the other 2. Difference in what you pay I guess.

Good Morning All. Clear and 49°. Sprinkled off and on yesterday making for a dreary day. Today is supposed to be sunny but windy, mild temperatures are in the forecast every day except Wednesday.

How about Mel's "everything in the kitchen omelet" this morning Flo. Throw a handful of bacon on the side please.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's post; Jerome, Rick, Karl, Sherrel, Justin, Phil, Bill, Clint, Mikey, Garry, Patrick.

Managed a little time in the train shed yesterday afternoon. Primed the trailer and later brush-painted it Model Master Aluminum. Not a lot of difference from the gray primer.
02-24-20 012.JPG

While waiting for the primer to dry, a transfer run between two staging yards came by, led by a pair of those Athearn CF7's.
02-24-20 011.JPG

Loads were all flatcar loads. Started with a 50' Athearn flat with a load of pipe from Jaeger Models.
02-24-20 010.JPG

Next in line is a Walther's 54' GSC flat with a model of an EMD 567 engine, also from Walther's.
02-24-20 009.JPG

A load of homemade I-beams on an Athearn 40' flatcar was next.
02-24-20 008.JPG

And finally a Roundhouse 60' bulkhead flat with a larger pipe load made from soft drink straws.
02-24-20 007.JPG

I'll have more time out there today and will start the ground cover over on the trailer scene, maybe even start the fence.

Bob - Have a safe trip to Tennessee.
Chet - You have a safe trip home as well.
Mikey -
In you trailer scene, which one is the "old goat"?
Might be the one behind the camera!;) The Mexicans at work used to call me "El Chivo"; translated as the goat, in reference to my beard which was much longer at the time.

Tomorrow is Mardi Gras Day. Get your beads out.
Everybody have a great day today.

Walthers has done a chop nose GP9 in their Mainline version. It has a scale width hood, and looks pretty good.
Must be the reason I see all the Trainline ones then. Trying to unload them.

I see that these new ones are in stock, with an undec coming. (28th Feb). DC with a 21 pin motherboard. The gray primer gives a good viewing of them. A modeler applied grab iron detail pack must be bought to complete them. They are all Phase 2. MTS.com only have some high nose in at the moment.

Willie- By now you probably guessed I have a certain interest in flatcar loads. I do enjoy seeing what other people have for loads.
The great thing about this forum is the number of people who spot prototypical loads and share those experiences with the forum.
I get about half of my inspiration from pictures and descriptions shared here.
So, thanks for sharing.

Must be the reason I see all the Trainline ones then. Trying to unload them.

I see that these new ones are in stock, with an undec coming. (28th Feb). DC with a 21 pin motherboard. The gray primer gives a good viewing of them. A modeler applied grab iron detail pack must be bought to complete them. They are all Phase 2. MTS.com only have some high nose in at the moment.

Now that I think about it, Puttman and CMR both off undec GP9 chopped nosed shells. They are bare shells , you supply cab glass, handrails and other details., along with the frame and driveline.........it's another option.

Good morning everyone. 48 and cloudy. Snow flurries predicted overnight tonight. Nice weekend coming up, sunny in the 50s. Hope winter is beginning to say goodbye.

Lurked a bit over the weekend but did not post. Have not had a chance yet to catch up on all the posts over the weekend.

Clint, Boris, Chessie, Sherrel, IronBelt Ken, Willie, Flip, Chad, Garry, Patrick, Wheeler, Robots, Karl, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my post from last Friday.
Willie - nice photos this morning. I like those homemade I-beams and pipes - great work.

Nothing much to report from the train room - had the family over for dinner yesterday and of course ran trains for them. The 3 1/2 year old loves to watch the train come out of the tunnel (I only have one tunnel on the layout) - as soon as it comes out, she wants it to come out again and has to learn that the train has to run all the way around the mainline to get back to the tunnel again.

Here's an archive photo of my train barn area - My layout is too small for a roundhouse or a larger train barn, so this is it - you can see part of the classification yard at the top (background) of the photo. Got to finish putting in gravel, grass, weeds, etc. I had just installed lighting in the barn.

TrainBarn1.jpg

That's it for now. Have a good day everyone.

Morning all,

Rainy and 45* this morning. Had nearly 2" of rain overnight. Not enough to be anything but a wet morning. We needed the rain (beats the alternative). We may have a dusting of snow tonight, but probably not.

Grandson is officially 10 today.

Not much doing on the trains.

Chessie_system3: 1st generation Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon on the blower resistor? While I've had other vehicles do it, this truck is notorious for it. GM recalled the H3 for it, but not the the other 2. Difference in what you pay I guess.
2011 Ford F150. Apparently they suffer the same fate. Just not on a level that requires a recall. It ain't even that hard to replace. Drop the glove box and two bolts. Took me maybe 5 minutes to switch out.

Afternoon fellers. It's monday.....again. hasn't panned out all that well either. Worked on my C&O GP35 yesterday. Finally found some screws that would work to hold my shell down. Upgraded from the plastic athearn couplers to kadee couplers. Gave it a good wheel cleaning and ran some laps with it. I think the motor is going south. It smells horrible! It runs pretty hot too. Kinda crappy as I haven't logged many hours running it. Now I did purchase it second hand so who knows how many hours it has on it. I know it's the older of my three RTR athearns. So who knows? I'll check in later if I get a chance.

Good Morning All. Clear and 49°. Sprinkled off and on yesterday making for a dreary day. Today is supposed to be sunny but windy, mild temperatures are in the forecast every day except Wednesday.

How about Mel's "everything in the kitchen omelet" this morning Flo. Throw a handful of bacon on the side please.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's post; Jerome, Rick, Karl, Sherrel, Justin, Phil, Bill, Clint, Mikey, Garry, Patrick.

Managed a little time in the train shed yesterday afternoon. Primed the trailer and later brush-painted it Model Master Aluminum. Not a lot of difference from the gray primer.
View attachment 44475
While waiting for the primer to dry, a transfer run between two staging yards came by, led by a pair of those Athearn CF7's.
View attachment 44476
Loads were all flatcar loads. Started with a 50' Athearn flat with a load of pipe from Jaeger Models.
View attachment 44477
Next in line is a Walther's 54' GSC flat with a model of an EMD 567 engine, also from Walther's.
View attachment 44478
View attachment 44479
And finally a Roundhouse 60' bulkhead flat with a larger pipe load made from soft drink straws.
View attachment 44480
I'll have more time out there today and will start the ground cover over on the trailer scene, maybe even start the fence.

Bob - Have a safe trip to Tennessee.
Chet - You have a safe trip home as well.
Mikey -

Might be the one behind the camera!;) The Mexicans at work used to call me "El Chivo"; translated as the goat, in reference to my beard which was much longer at the time.

Tomorrow is Mardi Gras Day. Get your beads out.
Everybody have a great day today.

Very awesome job on the loads! I like the I-beams!

Afternoon All,

Survived Tampa, and went to 2 train stores but didn't purchase anything because a lot of unknowns for the new layout. I did purchase a Heritage P2K 2-8-8-2 on Ebay last night. It has factory sound and I will have to decal it for a Pennsy HH class steamer. I worked on putting in another shelf inside the kitchen island. MOH has been on me to put it in. The liquid nails is drying overnight (braces couldn't use nails or screws) then the shelf is ready to mount. Tomorrow is scheduled for pool maintenance.

Alan- Great job fixing the H660.

Joe- Nice 1:1 photos.

Karl- Nice looking Motive power.

Patrick- Happy Birthday to your grandson.

Willie- Nice looking car loads.

Johnny- Nice scene. I started out with that engine house and really liked it until I knocked it on the floor and destroyed it...sigh.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Not Rambler, Metropolitan

The original Rambler, and the one referred to in the song.
1582598416176.png

The Metropolitan was made by BMC (British Motor Corporation) in England. The chassis was based on the Austin A30-35, but with the larger A40 mechanical components. 1.2ltr 4cyl engine. Nash devised and sold it in the US market, but later it was sold in British Commonwealth countries as well in RHD form.
The Nash Metropolitan was an American automobile that was sold from 1953 to 1961. It conforms to two classes of vehicle: economy car and subcompact car. In today's terminology the Metropolitan is a “subcompact”, but this category had not yet come into use when the car was made.
Automotive class: Subcompact car
Make: Austin

Nash Metropolitan - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back