Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sherrel: Certainly! This past Thursday, was the final injection in the series. On average, the Gel sets up and becomes effective around six errks from the initial injection. So somewhere around February 13, give or take a few days, I'll know if it worked. I see the doctor on the 13th, also. meanwhile, the PT is suspended until the next visit. I'm disappointed because I was beginning to feel like the PT was helping. Going to continue with what I can at home.
MIL is in the Rehab, pretending she cannot walk...i don't know what she is thinking, but she will not be happy with the consequences of being "bedridden" and in need of nursing care.

Spent the day trying to get my HP OfficeJet Pro to work, bad print quality. turns out the printer head is leaking ink. I still have the old Canon, which will still print using a generic Windows 10 driver. Canon stopped supporting this series when Win 10 came out. I'm in no hurry to buy a new printer, as long as the Canon functions.
MIL - Sounds familiar. My sympathies.

Printer - When the printhead goes, the printer is junk. Luckily, a new one is pretty cheap. The wife's printer stopped printing, period, and mine stopped printing black. Each was replaced for $40.

Well one of my take aways at this show was the varying heights of these modular layouts. From 42 inches to 52 inches I found that very interesting as I am working my layout frame work. I started one wall thus far with the ledger set at 42 inches which is standard bar height. Now I am rethinking it and may go to 48....we shall see.

Another interesting thing about the show was the immense talent and certain people are providing their talents as a service or creating that one thing and selling it. Always intriguing.

I will begin posting my progress soon on my layout etc.
Height is a subjective thing. I'm using standard-height (36"?) folding tables so I can sit and roll around as I "work" ("Fun is Work, but Work that is done for its own sake"). It's been a while since I've been to an actual bar but, at 6'4", Istr they come up to about my abdomen. If you're going 6"above that, that's up to my chest. Well, your railroad, your rules; I'm just having difficulty visualizing it.

8 minutes ago

Good morning. 34 degrees with a few inches of snow that came down over night. Should melt off by afternoon as the high again is expected to be in the 40's.

Beady - Nice photos of the ships. I would imagine that you probably owned a set or two of long johns.

Joe - You are correct, that is the USS Luce, DLG-7. That was my favorite of the 3 ships that I was on. No pool, but we had a great cook and there were no complaints at all. The first was the USS Farragut, DLG-6, the same class ship as the Luce. Only spent a few months on her before getting transferred to the Luce. We made so many port calls on the Luce pretty well all around the world. I think the cruise we made to the Persian Gulf in 1968-1969 were probably the most interesting. The last ship I was on was the USS Little Rock, a guided missile cruiser. Spent only six months on it. Got transferred there when the Luce went into the yard for a major overhaul and a new guided missile radar system.

Alan - Nice shot of the Ike. I got out after 6 years just about the time they laid the keel for the Eisenhower. I enjoy the tin cans myself.

James - Looks like you made a pretty good haul at the train show. Should keep you busy for a while. Nice photos from the train show also. They had some nice flat car loads. Some of those locomotive prices were a bit steep. Quite the modular layout. This is what I like to see at train shows.

Willie - Nice photos. With the long main line run you have, you sure can add quite a few structures. I'm jealous being that I am out of room. Nice photo. Nice repair work on the tanker.

Jim - Nice photos. Like the WM steamer on the turntable. I will have to admit that I really enjoyed sailing around the world. So many people never get the opportunity to travel like that. In fact many rarely travel more than 100 miles from where they grew up. Many time I think about the countries I visited years ago that I wouldn't want to think about going to today.

Mikey - Love that southern saying. Many times on a road trip we would get off of the interstates and get onto the loal roads and see how the local people would live. Also enjoyed stopping at local eateries enjoying the local food.

Terry - Love it when they change their prices on you and you get blindsided. I am still with DirecTV. $52 a month with 2 receivers, HD and 2 DVR's. Get a discount for being an AT&T customer and a veteran. I had an issue with them but they were helpful and when I threatened to drop their service I got my bill reduced from around $150 to $52.

Johnny - Really like those close up photos. Nice.

I have had this for years but forgot what it actually is. Thinking it possibly is for a trolley. Any ideas????

View attachment 43666

Going to Butte tomorrow for a dentist appointment.

Later

................................ Chet

Report Edit Delete
Longjohns. I've spent my entire life living in cold places: Michigan, Alaska, Vermont, mainly. Strange thing is, I hate the cold! I've always wanted to live somewhere warm, but have never managed more than 6 weeks at a time. Sigh.

Oh boy I think I am going to have to try to add this locomotive to my collection. I already have 4 SD60s and 3 SD 60Ms (one of them 3 window)....but I think another SD 60M won't hurt....

Some of you may remember the SD 60M UP #2472 then re numbered in grey primer? Well I have that Athearn unit but didn't connect the dots as to why that all happened....until now....

Rail Beast....see the pictures....someone tried making an HO scale rendition but it looks terrible.

and link https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/union-pacific-rail-beast-information

https://utahrails.net/up-diesel-roster/up-diesel-roster-34.php

(UP 2519, ex UP 6364, was briefly painted by vandals as "Rail Beast," just prior to September 9, 2017, while in storage at Lund, Utah. The illegal paint scheme simulated a tiger, with orange body and black stripes, including an open mouth and teeth, similar to the P-40 Flying Tigers of World War II. In late September, the locomotive was mostly repainted (except for the top) with gray primer, and was seen on September 26th at Provo, and on September 30th eastbound in Weber Canyon, en route to be repainted to UP's standard colors.) (View the Vimeo video of the vandals repainting the locomotive; 2:27 minutes) (Also available at the vandalism group's web site)

Attachments

• 3374918651_f7e4f7c69d_k.jpg
    3374918651_f7e4f7c69d_k.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 155
  • HO scale bad paint job.....JPG
    HO scale bad paint job.....JPG
    419.2 KB · Views: 200
  • primered after rail beast.jpg
    primered after rail beast.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 155
  • rail beast ex UP 6364 now UP 2519.jpg
    rail beast ex UP 6364 now UP 2519.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 189
  • rail beast ex UP 6364 now UP 2519_1.jpg
    rail beast ex UP 6364 now UP 2519_1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 271
  • rail beast ex UP 6364 now UP 2519_2.jpg
    rail beast ex UP 6364 now UP 2519_2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 200
  • rail beast ex UP 6364 now UP 2519_3.jpg
    rail beast ex UP 6364 now UP 2519_3.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Been a good couple of days since I stopped by. Haven't had too much time available to post. Not to mention I don't have a whole lot going on. Been working on the layout some. Spent yesterday switching out plastic wheel sets with metal wheels. Well metal wheels I have readily available. I had to go through my hopper fleet and put broken hoppers on the retired list. Not too many of those. Just three that I found. All with really fine wire grabs on them. Apparently fine details don't take too kindly multiple moves. With that I've made the decision to run more hardy built hoppers. Considering I have kids as well. It may serve me better to run molded on details as compared to wire ones. Speaking of the kids. The little one got to be a rail fan with me yesterday. Fired up my atlas uboat and hooked onto some hoppers and ran a good couple of laps. He enjoyed every minute of it. Well until mom came down and took him away for lunch. He didnt like that too well. Well that's all I have for now. I'll try to see if I cant dig up some pics to share with yall later if I find time.

Good Afternoon All,

Did several chores and small projects today. We picked out our vinyl plank flooring today. It's very close to our current color (oak with highlights). More projects follow tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes for my family. My brother is doing about as well as can be expected. We had relatively light traffic both ways and good weather. It was just a long drive.

James- Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Terry- That would really irritate me.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I'm back after what was a successful day in the train room and I did what I wanted to do plus more.

Sherrel: Here's that photo that I promised of the 0-8-0 locomotive.

IMG_0462.JPG

Photo was taken at Rocky Junction where the mainline splits out to the Pine River Yard and another spur to the future expansion.-Greg

How's that for an enlargement?

Tomorrow it will receive a wheel cleaning and a long break-in run. I don't know why the locomotive been in its box for approximately 15 years?

Greg

############################

Evening all,

Well, carpal tunnel surgery went fine so far. They put me under like they did when I had my colonoscopy. In to OR at 7:25, back in recovery at 7:55 and out the door at 8:45. So far it feels a lot better, even with the surgery cut they made. So far only over the counter Tylenol keeping everything in check.

I did get the track finally laid back in, now to juxt get it rewired. Train show this weekend, so maybe I'll get to go. Pictures of the "new" track work coming later.

[QUOTE="montanan, post: 472495, member: 4041"]I have had this for years but forgot what it actually is. Thinking it possibly is for a trolley. Any ideas????[/QUOTE]

Chet: Looks like a brake valve handle and controller for an electric MU car. What's missing is the control plug, which is on a chane that attaches to the bottom of the controller. Some fellows had their set of handles chromed, even though they were technically company property.

Howdy Everyone!

Thanks for all of your likes on my stuff - it is appreciated!

James - Great show photos! Thanks for posting them.
You're right about the HO Beast - not good. But I kind of like the prototype.

Johnny - the Weiner Wagon looks real good where it's at! Great photography shots!

Willie - I can see why you wouldn't have any open hoppers in your neck of the woods. Gondolas work well also
for bug removal transport - from personal experience! ;):D Modeling up here (western PA) without coal hoppers would be down right disgraceful :oops:;)

Bob - 40 years back, I dated a girl from Rockwood (just east of Cookeville), if it worked out, I probably
would have moved, as I really liked it down there.

Chet - I had two buddies that were on carriers and admired them for their experiences. But they both told me
about all the floor scrubbing and the painting :rolleyes::)
That thingamajig in the photo is a rutabaga corer/peeler ;) But really - I think you and Boris are right about it.

Greg - I like your new avatar! The caboose you weathered.
The large 0-8-0 photo is much better. With a little weathering it would be a trophy winner.

I've been working on layout structures and have made a lot of progress, but not enough to be photo worthy.

So here's a couple of prototype photos . . .

Everyone have a great evening!

I believe this is the old J&L Steel Mill in Cleveland - ingot cars
cYFTJQ2.jpg

Rocky Mountain Tours out of Vancouver
R0j9PNb.jpg

Yesterday, I looked at a DCC decoder manual and it was roughly 468 pages long!!!!

Greg

Wow! Are you trying to scare us Greg??
The entire NCE system manual for a Powercab is only 68 pages, the Powerhouse Pro manual is only 79 pages!
I barely ever feel the need to open them, because it's so easy to modify them with Decoder Pro, who needs manuals!

I do save a copy of each manual that comes with a decoder, in clear sheets in a binder for possible future reference, and I'll bet I dont have but 40 different ones saved, both silent and sound.

468 pages is enough to spook DC or die guys back to the stone age! (or at least back to wooden trains)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back