Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received notification from Amazon that the Weller soldering station assorted, replacement tips will arrive tomorrow. I needed replacement tips in case any thing happen to the tip that came with the station. Ordering on line is easier than driving to a bricks and mortar store which is both time consuming and uses a lot of gasoline.

While I support local hobby shops and other retail stores, by just spending a few minutes on the computer and a few key strokes, I have an order coming in several days.

Any way lunch time...

Greg

I just received notification from Amazon that the Weller soldering station assorted, replacement tips will arrive tomorrow. I needed replacement tips in case any thing happen to the tip that came with the station. Ordering on line is easier than driving to a bricks and mortar store which is both time consuming and uses a lot of gasoline.

While I support local hobby shops and other retail stores, by just spending a few minutes on the computer and a few key strokes, I have an order coming in several days.

Any way lunch time...

Greg
When I had a LHS, I was more than happy to patronize it, even though it was a 30-minute drive each way. I swear he had as much n-scale stuff as ebay, and going into that place was like visiting a candy shop! Then the owner closed up and retired. So, I'm left with ebay and Hobby Lobby. If anybody's got a better idea, I'm all ears.

FB_IMG_1579611923743.jpg

Any way lunch time...

Greg
On-line or brick and mortar? It's a poser. I try to buy from my train store in Houston, but it's a 35 mile drive, 70 miles round trip. Then you add the difference in price, example, N scale Kato #6 turnout on-line $17.99 while b&m shop $26.99 or full retail.

When I had a LHS, I was more than happy to patronize it, even though it was a 30-minute drive each way. I swear he had as much n-scale stuff as ebay, and going into that place was like visiting a candy shop! Then the owner closed up and retired. So, I'm left with ebay and Hobby Lobby. If anybody's got a better idea, I'm all ears.

View attachment 43330

Regarding the cartoon, I had a doctor who did that with two fingers . That way he provided a second opinion.

Roller coaster temps have moved to the elevator. Going down to 31* tonight. Thanks for sharing. I'd forgotten how frozen fingers and toes feel. NOW I'm remembering. Thats O.K. ,no hard feelings-love you all. Just keep posting those pics of y'alls handiwork.
Stay well and warm,
Phil

B Bob ... Are you on the road yet?

Yep, we spent Monday night in Paris! Tennessee, that is! In Dickson tonight.

Beady, you ain't right!
Regarding the cartoon, I had a doctor who did that with two fingers . That way he provided a second opinion.

Garry, I ain't going to your doctor!!!

Sorry to make this short, but I'm using my Kindle and it's not nearly as easy to make more detailed answers as it is on my laptop. Like all the pictures and Hope everything goes well for all!

B Bob ... if you are coming back through KY, we should see if there is a time for you to visit and have a layout tour. Things will be very busy for us through this weekend however . Middle of next week would be soonest I could do anything . ... If you knew you were in Paris, I would have suggested the Olive Pit restaurant. Outstanding Italian food.

... in Jackson, TN the Casey Jones Museum is good .

Good Morning All. 39° and rain/drizzle this morning. Just over 0.3" overnight and it will end soon. Won't warm up much today, maybe 42°. Slowly warming up after that into the 60's by Friday for at least a week according to the current forecast. Daughter came by and picked up the granddog yesterday, to the great relief of Fluffy the cat. Convinced my wife to postpone the tax office trip until today so I could get some more outdoor tasks done before the rain. Since it is a distance away (everything is a distance away for us here), we'll go to the local farm supp;y store and the German butcher shop while we're there. Maybe we'll drive by her former employer's and send them a hand sign. She did decide to retire this year finally. She turns 70 next month.

I'll have some of that sausage, bacon and cheese omelet this morning Flo, and a piece of your homemade crumb cake to finish things off.

Thanks for the comments and likes yesterday on my cleanup/layout tour progress; Johnny, Justin, Jerome, Phil, Bill, Chet, Sherrel, Patrick, Hughie, Tom, Garry, Ken, Bob.

I continued the track/layout maintenance out in the train shed yesterday; all of the main line, passing siding, and the first four industry spurs in the designated layout section are cleaned and vacuumed. All stray parts were retrieved from the ROW, All that I found was a Kadee coupler spring and a green stirrup from a BN freight car. I have three difficult to reach spurs left to do, all requiring structure removal for easier access. Another reason that I don't fasten structures down. Next in line along that wall, are two farms. The first is unfinished right now, as I got frustrated making the fence at the time that I originally started.
01-22-20 001.JPG

The house and barn are both American Model Builders Laser Kits, known as "139 Maple Street" and "Loft Barn" respectively. The other structures are from a Plasticville kit and the windmill is half of the discontinued Watlther's Van Dyke Farm Windmill kit. Tractor is from Athearn. I would like to make this the next part of the layout that I finish because it is in between two already completed scenes. I also intend to fix the unsightly cracks that are in the plywood backdrop within the next few weeks. There's a lot on the "round tuit" list.
Across the road is Stallings Horse Ranch, named after some friends who raise horses.
01-22-20 003.JPG

The barn is yet another American Model Builders kit simply known as "Feed Barn". The house is a cardstock model that I downloaded from the Illinois Historical Society website many years ago. It's supposed to represent Abe Lincoln's childhood home.
Here's a closeup of the barrel racing practice taking place in the corral.
01-22-20 002.JPG

Ken - Somehow I missed your post Monday. Great progress on the road and surrounding areas.
Hughie - I know the feeling about the LHS here in Texas. I used to have one about 25 miles away that was sort of on my way home from work, but the owner retired in 2015. Now I have to go 65 miles to Discount Model Railroads in Addison TX. Fortunately they are located within five miles of both of my daughter's homes, so I go see my grandkids when I go there, or go there when I see the grandkids. As their name indicates, they are a discounter with almost everything 20% off MSRP, which makes them competitive with most online retailers. In addition I get to put my hands on the product right then and there.

So, wondering whatever happened to Dave Banta (logandsawman). Last word was that he was moving again. That was around Labor Day. Hope that all is well.

Another thing, what is more boring, Megxit; or Brexit?

Have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 28 and clear. Winter returns tonight - snow, freezing rain, ice - - we'll see if they close schools tomorrow.

From my cousin - Amusing things to do in an elevator:
* When there's only one other person in the elevator, tap them on the shoulder and then pretend it wasn't you.
* Smack your head and mutter, "Shut up! All of you shut up!!"
* Stare at another passenger for a while, then yell in horror, "You're one of THEM!!" and back away slowly.
* Push the buttons, pretend they give you a shock; smile, and then go back for more.
* Hold the doors open and say you're waiting for a friend. After a while, let the doors close and then say to the empty space next to you, "Hi, Greg. How's your day been?"
* Put a box in the corner and when someone else gets on, ask them if they hear something ticking.
* When the doors close, announce, "It's okay. Don't panic. They open up again."

Willie, BurlingtonBob, Iron Belt Ken, Garry, Tom, Jim, TexasHobo, Patrick, Sherrel, Robots - -, Greg, Chet, Wheeler, Flip, Chad, Chessie, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my baseball players scene.
Willie
- Again nice photos from your layout.

Had a chance to work on another mini-scene. I had bought this fire tower a year ago or more, and broke one of the wooden support legs. Just let it go for a while and this past weekend got a chance to work on it. It's okay, but if you know where to look you can see the repair job. Anyway, I've got it set up along with some hikers that have made it up the mountain to visit the ranger (the guy in the blue hat is a place-saver until I can get a ranger in uniform up there).

FireTower2.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Morning all,

We had heavy snow overnight with a low of 33*. Roads were slop due to slush and not ice or frozen snow. 2+ inches made the travel to work FUN. It has turned to rain at this time so the roads should improve quickly. Saw 8 cars in the ditch on my way to work. Snow didn't start until 2ish this morning.

Got an early start, so I get on here earlier than my day would suggest. Had some time last night to work on some track re-lay. Surprising how the stuff was set in one place and when trying to reconnect it in the same place, it doesn't fit, so I have to dig out some more flex and cut a new piece. I wasn't happy, but it should make the layout lay better in the long run. At least I have the additional flex to be able to use....

Morning Folks!

Yesterday morning was -6 degrees F, brisk and crisp and well this morning a nice 12 degrees F with a high of 31 degrees F woo hoo!

Flo! Need some hot coffee! a dash of Jameson will do..... to keep the motor from freezing up.... :)

Well I am certain I may have a plumbing issue on the horizon in my house with the water supply...not looking forward to that investigation when I get back home tonight. I think the extreme weather changes is wreaking havoc on the pipes. Ugh....did I say I hate plumbing?

Anyhow ya'll have a good day. I gotta get back at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back