What is STEAM PUNK?

N

NP2626

I have heard this term a few times and have always wondered what it was, Is it a new type of Rock and Roll wherein the music is generated by steam power?

You are still not explaining what Steampunk is. So I have asked Wikopedia for an explanation. Here is what Wikopedia states about it:
Steampunk is a retrofuturistic subgenre of science fiction or science fantasy that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery.[1][2] Although its literary origins are sometimes associated with the cyberpunk genre,[3] steampunk works are often set in an alternative history of the 19th century British Victorian era or the American "Wild West", in a future during which steam power has maintained mainstream usage, or in a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power. However, steampunk and neo-Victorian are different in that the neo-Victorian movement does not extrapolate on technology while technology is a key aspect of steampunk.[4] Nuff said!

Last edited by a moderator:
Steampunk is a retrofuturistic subgenre of science fiction or science fantasy that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery.

Makes sense to me!!!!

Greg

I look at it as sort of a fashion trend. Take Victorian era clothing and apply steam era technology to it.

I believe the origin can be traced to the late 1980s fantasy roll-playing game called SPACE 1889 (dungeons and dragons in space). It takes the turn of the 20th century idea that space consisted of a substance called ether. In this world they discovered how to sail ships in the ether to other planets etc. Add steam powered ships to the mix and the associated fixation on steam powered appliances on clothing and you have the Steampunk.

Steampunk "style" can be applied to just about anything. It's like gathering up stuff at an early 1900's salvage/junk yard and build a contraption or using them to embellish something to change the appearance. It's vintage industrial re-purposing with the characteristics of steampunk.

Here's some steampunk photos:

hQAImtlm.jpg
AuHlfCKm.jpg

DyNOI2Hm.jpg
dNZAB7mm.jpg

You are still not explaining what Steampunk is. So I have asked Wikopedia for an explanation. Here is what Wikopedia states about it:
Steampunk is a retrofuturistic subgenre of science fiction or science fantasy that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery.[1][2] Although its literary origins are sometimes associated with the cyberpunk genre,[3] steampunk works are often set in an alternative history of the 19th century British Victorian era or the American "Wild West", in a future during which steam power has maintained mainstream usage, or in a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power. However, steampunk and neo-Victorian are different in that the neo-Victorian movement does not extrapolate on technology while technology is a key aspect of steampunk.[4] Nuff said!
I thought Willie had dropped a link to the wiki on his post. I was just building off that.

If you can get Acorn TV (I do on ROKU) there is the very recent murder mystery with comic touches in the New Zealand Brokenwood Mysteries in which the victim is the owner of the local Brokenwood model train store located in an abandoned station. He and his friend are also promoters of the local Steampunk festival and the murder takes place at a steampunk country music concert event. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11261194/

Interesting that the train store seems to feature mostly US equipment. The setting in New Zealand looks almost like wine country somewhere in North America except they drive on the other side of the road. The NZ accents are hardly noticeable.

Unfortunately the plot twists leave a little bit of a negative message about model railroading.

About 17 years ago I was part of a game test for Microsoft testing a game called "Rise of Nations, Rise of Legends" which had as one of its civilizations a steampunk type feel. Equipment was steam powered, even DaVinci type helicopters. Visually they were kind of cool. I ended with with a copy once the test was finished and enjoyed it until a Windows 7 patch made the game unplayable.

I worked for an accounting firm at the time and from January 7th through April 15th, everything except emergency computer repairs, were on hold until after "busy season", so I had lots of goof off time to test a game.

I would guess that the Movie Wild, Wild West would be considered of the Steam Punk Genre. Had I thought this question through just a little, I would have realized that it was a question for a search engine and not really one for here. Also, had I realized that Willie's response was hypertext and all I really needed, instead of thinking he was being his normal obtuse self, I would not have needed to go much further!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess that the Movie Wild, Wild West would be considered of the Steam Punk Genre. Had I thought this question through just a little, I would have realized that it was a question for a search engine and not really one for here. Also, had I realized that Willie's response was hypertext and all I really needed, instead of thinking he was being his normal obtuse self, I would not have needed to go much further!
I'll include the words "Click Here" next time.

Back