Walthers' Repair Service

GNMT76

Who else is having difficulty getting a timely - or more accurately, any substantive - response from Walthers' repair department?

Four weeks ago (on November 29), I e-mailed that unit (via the company's internal system) regarding my Walthers Proto 2000 loco's need for repair. It's out of the warranty window, so that doesn't apply. I described the problem and asked about the procedure for sending the loco to them.

It took almost two weeks (on December 9) for a repair tech to respond. He requested my customer service number, which he needed to set up a return authorization (RA) number. I sent it in immediately, along with the loco's serial number and another number on the loco's registration card. I never heard from him again.

A week later (on December 16), a second repair tech e-mailed, stating that he was aware of my request and asking which loco it is (a five-year old EMD F7 "A") and to describe the problem I'm having with it. I sent him that information the same day.

Three days later (on December 16), that same tech replied, asking for my phone number and address so he could set up a RA. I provided that information right away, as well as requesting the procedure for sending it to Walthers for repair.

Another week after that (on December 26), having received no followup reply, I e-mailed both repair techs again to inquire about the RA. To-date, I have yet to receive a response from anyone. I've avoided calling so as not to get passed around from one staff member to another in "phone tag" and to have e-mail documentation of my communications with the company.

Now, I understand being busy although neither repair tech has implied or stated such. Whether or not that's an issue is unknown. To have waited a month now for something as simple as e-mailing a RA number and basic procedural instructions (which are absent on the website for out-of-warranty repairs) is beyond the pale. Have those two repair techs left the company? Are they indeed swamped with other repair jobs? Closed for the holidays? Who knows. But this is certainly no way for a reputable company to do business. Absent a definitive response in the next day or so, my next step is to write the CEO.

If anyone has direct knowledge of what's going on with Walthers' repair department, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Conjecture is not necessary.

By the way, a look at the company's parts and warranty page (https://www.walthers.com/parts-warranty) shows the following:

"Parts and Warranty can help you with the following:

• Parts Missing From a Kit
  • Repair of a Locomotive*
  • Status of a Repair
  • Parts Availability
  • Warranty Inquiries

* A repair service is available for Walthers brand products. For all other brands and warranty claims, please select "Customer Service".

If you have not registered your product go here.

Download the Walthers Limited Warranty."

Lacking, however, is any means for communicating repair needs of Walthers' brand products, as in my case.

I have always had good responses from Walthers from either their repair and parts departments. I have requested replacement parts and they have had them waiting for me at the counter in the showroom.

Hope things work out for you.

Greg

I have always had good responses from Walthers from either their repair and parts departments. I have requested replacement parts and they have had them waiting for me at the counter in the showroom.

Hope things work out for you.

Greg

Greg,

Thay have. I sent my loco elsehwere.

The times I have had called WALTHERS 1970's - the 2000's for any item needed or any service Their Representative has always been polite and very understanding as well as knowledgable of the item or my issue. By the way Greg, Thay should read as They , I do understand darn spell check eh.

BCK RR aka Tom

I had some issues with a Walther locomotive last year and sent it to Walthers. I had to wait for a while, a lot longer than the 6 weeks I was told the repair would take. I did call and was told that there was a personnel change and that things were backed up. The new guy must still be getting used to things.

I've always had polite and responsive service from Walther's technical personnel. However, they are often hampered by
things outside of their control...in particular parts. For much of their equipment (maybe most of it) they literally have no
spare parts inventory nor do they even have the ability to special order such parts...so your expensive piece of hardware
is now relegated to shelf duty.

I've always had polite and responsive service from Walther's technical personnel. However, they are often hampered by
things outside of their control...in particular parts. For much of their equipment (maybe most of it) they literally have no
spare parts inventory nor do they even have the ability to special order such parts...so your expensive piece of hardware
is now relegated to shelf duty.

Well, inventory is irrelevant since I never sent my loco to them and not having done that, the repair techs had little or no idea of what was needed. And I never sent it to them because they ignored multiple e-mails for over a month. A perusal of the website - where a repair service is alluded to and nothing more - is probably in itself quite telling. Also, see above.

Back