Running Bear's December 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mikey and Beady- Sorry to hear of your problems, been through that and you have my sympathies.

Boris-My sister had her right knee replaced a little over a year ago. She has had excellent results with hers and is extremely happy with it. She told me that if I ever have it done, to follow the physical therapist's instructions to the letter.

Beady- I keep a bottle of Benadryl by the bed to help me go back to sleep if I wake up to early. works well about 80% of the time.

Willie- Great job on your building. Makes me want to try a few of my kits. I also got a Badger air brush for Christmas last year and that would be the perfect excuse to try my skills with it. Who am I kidding? I have no skills with an air brush! I've only seen one used in person and others I've seen were on YouTube! Perfect excuse to learn.

Garry- One of the areas we are interested in is the Kentucky Lake area.

Thanks to everyone for the welcome back and wishes for a happy retirement.

For about the last four years, my wife (and I, to a lesser degree) had been taking care of her parents and one of her brothers. Her mother passed away a couple of years ago and her brother and father just a little over a year ago, both within two months of each other. Her mom was 89, her dad 92 and her brother was 66. Her brother had a series of strokes and was in a veteran's home for about his last 16 months. Being a caregiver is the hardest and most thankless job imaginable. She is still recovering from it.

It's 30 right now with a high of 31 later and a low of 18 tonight. We just had two days of 50 degrees and it looks like that has come to an end for awhile. We don't have a snow blower but we did buy a large generator for those rare instances where the power goes out. It's enough to run our furnace, refrigerator, water heater and lights. We can even run our washing machine and dryer if needed by juggling what appliances we use together. Even enough power to run our central air, if we needed. Just have to keep close track of the wattage that we use and when. After our daughter and her family were without power for almost two days, we decided to bite the bullet and be prepared. Best part is, it will run on propane or gasoline. Needless to say, we have plenty of propane on hand! It gives peace of mind to have but is like insurance..........you hope you never have to use it.!

We're having our Christmas get together this afternoon at our daughter's place. Kind of early but it's the only time that we can all get together at one time. Hopefully I will have some good train related items to report on later.

Everyone be safe!

Boris:
FB_IMG_1576352716808.jpg

Boris-My sister had her right knee replaced a little over a year ago. She has had excellent results with hers and is extremely happy with it. She told me that if I ever have it done, to follow the physical therapist's instructions to the letter.

Bob: There is no choice, my left knee is shot. I need to restore muscle tone before I have the surgery, so I begin PT on Tuesday. I fully intend to use the therapy to my advantage...no wheel chair or walker for me...

Enjoy your retirement. You earned it!

Boris

Howdy ...

I asked about Louis and Terry, Willie, and Boris commented. If anybody has Louis’s contact info. , feel free to tell him we NEED to see pictures of his Lionel trains at Christmas Time . Also, more of his historic railroad photos would be nice to see.

B Bob ... If you are visiting this area while looking for retirement locations, let me know if you want to stop in for a layout tour.

It looks like we will be celebrating a family Christmas in Ohio and Michigan again this year.

Good night

My Saturday the 14th was a heck of a lot better than my Friday the 13th.
I do truly do appreciate the many who expressed sympathy and offered prayers for my SIL and MIL. And I feel that the prayer has helped.
My MIL ended up with a hip replacement surgery, scheduled for noon, but occurred at 6 PM. She did very well and was awake with a lively conversation this morning.
This morning, several Wrecking Crew members showed up the move "stuff" away from a couple walls so the drywall at floor level could dry out.
We opened several soggy boxes and lost a few old catalogs. And the water logged Huff N Puff kits were still wet and some of the instructions are rather blurred. Similar to the instructions in non- water logged kits I have tried to assemble!
We, as a club, were lucky that the layouts were on display and not damaged.

Last edited:
OK, OK ... I'll turn on the lights and start the coffee this morning. Guess that everyone is sleeping in after the busy day yesterday and prior. WOW, lots of ammo to comment on from all.

Supposed to be 62 today - yesterday only made it to 60 after being in the 70;s for several days. It's still mostly cloudy - something that we are hardly used too?

Coffee's ready - I'll be back!

Good Morning All. 48° and quite foggy again this morning. Oh my! Sherrel is up early again today. Mixed bag with the upcoming weather, less than magnificent days Monday and Friday, with pleasant days in between and leading up to Christmas.
Loaded omelet and some ham today Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding the progress on the Hardware Store; Phil, Joe, Sherrel, Jerome, Ken, Tom, Garry.

Continued small progress in the train shed yesterday. Grrrrh! The camera battery went out so no update pictures today. I'm a bit burned out on it right now, so I started running trains instead. My, these ScaleTrains Dash9's run exceptionally well. They also speed match (I'm DC) their SD40-2's very well, which Santa Fe MU'd regularly up to the end.
So let's hit the archive once again for a picture. How about a street corner in downtown Maultown.
07-24-18 001.JPG

Joe - Best of luck with the knee replacement. As you might remember my wife had it done back in the summer. While the knee is fully functional, (it was the minute they wheeled her out of the OR), she is still having pain in the surrounding muscles despite doing all of the PT. She feels that she should be over the pain despite the doctor telling her (many times) that the pain could last as much as a year. She really doesn't have any patience. The only time she has used the cane in the last three months is when she goes for a walk around our gravel driveway and accompanying gravel road, mainly for safety. The walker (nicknamed Hershel) was dropped after 2 1/2 weeks. She also did not do any PT prior to the surgery; the doctor scheduled it as soon as their schedules allowed immediately after seeing the X-rays.
Jim - You'll be finding fasteners for years to come.
David -
Happy Birthday.
I think that it is actually the 5th since Jeffrey's passing, sadly missed.

Regarding care-giving - I do wish all of you going through this right now, all of my thoughts and prayers. It is not easy, I didn't get to this stage because I have a live-in brother that took care of it, and fortunately neither of my parents reached the stage beyond needing a bit of physical help every now and then. Beyond all, we must remember that they are the reason that we are all here today.

Regarding Louis. I have been in contact with him. I thought that he would return when he got his new Lionel Polar Express set. Perhaps it isn't set up yet. He is doing well and pacing himself with the Amazon job.

Everybody have a great day.

Last edited:
Good morning America, how are ya? It's 16° here in Forgotonnia (Google it), with a high of 30° and snow coming our way. Some predictions say 4" of white stuff. It looks pretty for an hour or so, after that...........

We had a great time with our family at our Christmas get together. Ate the best deer sausage ever last night. Our son-in-law is a big deer hunter and had some deer meat processed at a local locker. I've tasted a lot of deer sausage, but this was far and away the best. Just the perfect amount of jalapenos and spices.

Our youngest granddaughter is 4 and really got caught up in the moment. Little kids can really make you appreciate the little things that we often take for granted. She really enjoyed handing out the gifts to everyone.

I got some grooming aids (are they trying to tell me something?). One of them was some beard oil. I asked our youngest granddaughter if my beard squeaked and she just said "Oh Papa, you're funny! " I also got a gift certificate to Model Train Stuff, so now I need to browse their website and make up my mind.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Good morning everyone!

Flo - I'll have 2 eggs over medium, ham, home fries and coffee.

Tom - how was the show yesterday? Anything notable to report?

Mikey - Great news on your MIL! Good to hear hear people having surgery with favorable results!
Nice to hear your club is making progress with the restoration.

David - Happy 74th! Jeffrey's passing - duly noted!

Willie - Your right - I will be finding fasteners for some time to come. Every time I look for something else, I'll find some. I found 2 more this morning. Great looking street corner photo - the Western Auto brings back memories. I like the Buick Grand National and the short shorts!

I stayed home yesterday as mother nature served up a rather nasty day with wind, rain, 34° and later on some snow.
I had good progress on the layout. The post column is almost done and I'm anxious to finish it, as I haven't run trains for over 3 weeks. :( I had to take out a RR bridge to work on the post.
Today I think I'll stay at home, again. Work on the layout, check the Forum from time to time and search for new RR photos.

Have a great day!

JIM

0Halscy.jpg

JiM - What a mess, Olie! Been there, done that! Not with train stuff, but I used to build dollhouses and once knocked my compartmented tray of pins, nails, and stuff - must have been a dozen different sizes of things - off the workbench. Fortunately, a magnet grabbed them, but I was sorting nails for hours! BTW - Nice Christmas Railroad picture.

David - good to see you making an appearance? How is your roof holding up?

Mikey - very sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations lately? I hope you can muddle your way through and keep you wits. I am glad to hear that there was not too terrible a loss at the RR. To me, any loss of older stuff like you mentioned is not good.

Willie -- Nice photo: I like the many 1/87 people, the scene shows much activity!
We had a Western Auto in the small town not much more than a hundred yards from our house.
The proprietor also repaired washing machines and TV's and was a Preacher on Sundays. His daughter was in my class and was just about the roughest one of the whole class - constantly in trouble. I used to get old radios from him to take apart and play with and about anything else mechanical that he would let me carry out the door. I should have been a "junk man". I always collect more than I take to the dump. My garage shows it today. Speaking of that ... The Catholic Church decided to clean out their storage area - so a neighbor and I went yesterday and I now have 9- 12 foot - full size 2 x 3 Maple boards to play with.(I haven't checked, but I imagine that they cost a bunch! Anyone have an idea of what I should do with them?

BBob - I like that! squeaky beard - lol. Glad you had a good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back