New GN motive power

Revival

Here's a close up of the GN locos I picked up a while back. The two F3s are Stewart, the 0-8-0 is Tenshodo, and the gas electric is Oriental. John Allen had a scratch built "gasatronic" doodlebug and this fine Oriental model will update that piece for my Gorre Northern. These are my first two brass locos and I feel fortunate to have been able to get them at a good price. Boyd 20191210_203930.jpg

Question: What vintage are the Stewart F3's? Do they have a circuit board that fits down inside the metal chassis, as opposed to the plastic extension shown in the latest issue of MR, for conversion to DCC? I have a second-hand one with the latter configuration and am trying to figure out how to convert it to DCC.

Question: What vintage are the Stewart F3's? Do they have a circuit board that fits down inside the metal chassis, as opposed to the plastic extension shown in the latest issue of MR, for conversion to DCC? I have a second-hand one with the latter configuration and am trying to figure out how to convert it to DCC.
I don't really know how old those F3s are and I haven't opened them up yet. I do know that Dr. Swarner had his HO stuff in storage for about 20 years as he was building his G gauge pike so I'm thinking they are pretty old and just DC only which is fine with me as I will be using DC cab control with Ken Stapleton's 3amp PWM throttles one of which I have shown in this pic. Boyd1214181910.jpg

I only have a Mantua 0-6-0 GN steam switch engine. Runs well for what it is..
Mantua is a good old school locomotive. I have a Pacific and a Mikado and they run good. I need to add some details and new paint but I'm very happy with them and plan to pick up some more off of ebay to round out my roster. Here's a pic of John Allen's Mantua 2-8-2 which was given a new tender and detailed by Cliff Grant I believe. John said it was one of his best pullers. Boyd0717191920.jpg

Mantua is a good old school locomotive. I have a Pacific and a Mikado and they run good. I need to add some details and new paint but I'm very happy with them and plan to pick up some more off of ebay to round out my roster. Here's a pic of John Allen's Mantua 2-8-2 which was given a new tender and detailed by Cliff Grant I believe. John said it was one of his best pullers. BoydView attachment 42253
Too bad they discontinued Mantua steamers, especially the Mikado 2-8-2's. I've got a bunch, but the ones I run the most have been seriously kitbashed., Take a pair of Mantua Mikes, grab a handy hacksaw. Cut the frames and the boilers in appropriate places, splice by making longer cover plates, and drilling the cut ends for connecting pins (nails with their heads cut off), and glue together with Plastic Steel or other two-part epoxy Add in a spare set of blind drivers and extra connecting rods. Then add a gear box (if it doesn't have one already) and a Canon coreless motor. Wire in a Soundtrax Tsunami Steam-2 TSU-2200 with a 28mm x 28mm speaker in a stretched tender, and use either a 2-wheel or 4-wheel trailing truck. Stir carefully through and through; see how the flavor stays...oh, sorry...got carried away! And super detail as desired. Oh, yes, shim the end, flanged drivers down .010" and the blind center drivers UP .010, and you can swing a 2-10-2 or 2-10-4 around 18"R curves! o_O:cool: One of these days, if I can figure out how to post photos, I'll show what an HO scale Burlington M-2 (2-10-2) or M-4 (2-10-4) look like. I don't model the UP, and I think I would run into the same problem that UP did, but every once in awhile I get the urge to try making a 4-12-2. Couldn't run it on my layout, of course... :rolleyes:

Of course, as easy as that. I'd love to see some pictures of your projects. If you tap the attach files at the bot th om left of your posting window it will then give you the browse option. Hit that and if you are on a phone or a tablet it will take you to the app where your pictures are. I don't use my PC for any of this stuff so I don't know how that would work but it must be similar.

If you tap the attach files at the bot th om left of your posting window it will then give you the browse option. Hit that and if you are on a phone or a tablet it will take you to the app where your pictures are.

I wish it were that easy on a PC, sigh!

Trailrider -- Love the old heavy metal steamers and the metal Varney F-3's. They will pull the paint off the walls!

Hmmm... I don't have a "smart" phone, just a flip phone, and also don't have a tablet...just this old, obsolescent PC with Windows 7. ;) I can download photos from my digital camera to the PC. Then what do I do? All advice would be appreciated. :confused:

Trailrider -- Love the old heavy metal steamers and the metal Varney F-3's. They will pull the paint off the walls!
I think I do have to be careful that my ten-coupled Mantuas don't drag anything behind them that would catch on the track. It might pull the track up, cork roadbed and all! :rolleyes::D I'd have to check, but I think at least one of these "hacksaw conversions" might even have a traction tire on one flanged driver! :eek:

I've never worked any of these forums from a PC but once you have the photo on your computer you need to find what file it is in, whether it's called photos, documents, or something else. When you put the sd card from the camera into the computer (or link with a cable) the computer usually asks where you want the photos to be stored. On the post, or reply, box on this forum there is a picture icon in the top row and also "attach files" in the lower left of the box. I use the attach files option and when I click on it one of the options is "browse" which when clicked on should show various file locations in your computer where the photos are stored. If you know where they are, find your photo that you want to upload and select it and press "done" or maybe "save". It should then show you your posting box with your text you have written and a bar graph moving across the bottom showing the upload percentage. When it reaches 100% then it will take a little more time and then a small picture will appear at the bottom of your post and you will have the option of thumbnail or full size. I click thumbnail and then soon the picture appears in the post. I'm new at this on this forum and sometimes the text is not in the right place at the bottom but all my words are there and so is the pic. Then press post as usual and it should work. Hope this helps, I would love to see your beasts! Boyd

Back