Running Bear's December 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoo, boy. Is it considered sleep when you feel yourself nodding off and fight to stay awake but are only partially successful? Or maybe I was dreaming I was partially successful. Meanwhile, the wife is in bed, taking a nap. Maybe it's time to go out in the yard naked to make snow angels.

Sorry about the cheeseburger for breakfast, but it just sounded good. Fortunately, my cholesterol runs low and in the right proportions, so I don't have that issue to worry about. My soon to be 80 year old dad has low cholesterol as well. With a large fast food chain having all day breakfast, I usually want a burger.

Howdy everyone!

Thanks to everyone who liked my post! #305

Flo - I'll have a slice of raisin pie with whipped cream and coffee. Keep the pot handy, as I'll want a couple of refills!

Greg - the tunnel photo would be fun to model. A lot of stuff going on.
Patrick - your grandson has his own N-scale - I'll bet grandpa got it for him.
Tom - the weathered cars are looking good!
Alan - nice weathering on the car!
Johnny - coal train -----► Coltrane. Got it! ;) Nice layout photos!
Willie - you're welcome on the donuts. As usual great layout photos.
Beady - all of those posts! See what a little bit of sleep does!

I've done a lot on the layout rebuild the last few days. I started work on the jack post column. I'll be updating a thread from Feb. 13, 2019, in the Structures and Buildings forum, either this evening or tomorrow.
To find out what I'm doing, look for the "Incorporating a Jack Post Column In The Layout" thread.

Flo - donuts for everyone!

Until later . . . have a good one!

D2l3z0Q.jpg

So, we're at Meijer's right now, a sort of Walmart on steroids. My back started hurting, so I found a bench near the checkout where I can wait for the wife. I already put a half-gallon of Capt Morgan, a quart of eggnog and some Bailey's Irish Cream in the cart, so my part of the trip is done.

Winter in mid FLA. Beautiful sunshine blue sky with a few white clouds and a delightful 81* Don't even think of coming down, traffic is jammed and the hotels and motels are full with high prices if they HAVE any rooms.
Hope y'all stay warm and dry.
Prayers for all.
Phil

I SHOULD BE GIVEN AN AWARD FOR KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT WHEN THERE'S SO MUCH THAT NEEDS TO BE SAID .

I left Florida for that very that reason traffic and the Snowbird season and then the nutty spring breakers. Then you got the storms...one way in one way out nope enough for me I did 15 plus years. Had a all the sand I needed...lol.

I will visit once in a while but more like once every 3 years or something. I lived mostly in Manatee County. Worked in Sarasota, Bradenton and Palmetto. I did a stint in Tallahassee when I was at FSU as well. I like my change of seasons. So ya snow and all. :)

Today Upstate NY we hit 51 degrees today but we will be going back down in the 20s tomorrow night then colder in the week but it levels out the next four days in the 40s. So invigorating :) I only complain when we get anything below 0 or minus whatever degrees for an extended period of time. 2 or 3 days ok but more than that I get a little annoyed. lol

Afternoon All,

Finally got the dryer fixed with help from my son putting on the drum belt (he has longer arms than me). I washed a load of sheets and dried them with success.:)

Tom- Nice job on the hoppers.

Johnny- Nice layout photos.

Willie- I have a opti-visor but it tends to give me a headache when I use it.

Max- Great photo.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Today Upstate NY we hit 51 degrees today but we will be going back down in the 20s tomorrow night then colder in the week but it levels out the next four days in the 40s. So invigorating :) I only complain when we get anything below 0 or minus whatever degrees for an extended period of time. 2 or 3 days ok but more than that I get a little annoyed. lol
Eastern NY and northern New England are about 24 hours, weatherwise, behind Michigan. Tomorrow during the day you should be in the low 30s, while we struggle to get to 20.

Btw, "Upstate NY" covers a lot of territory, everything outside of NYC, Long Island and Staten Island. When you say Upstate, what is your version?

Eastern NY and northern New England are about 24 hours, weatherwise, behind Michigan. Tomorrow during the day you should be in the low 30s, while we struggle to get to 20.

Btw, "Upstate NY" covers a lot of territory, everything outside of NYC, Long Island and Staten Island. When you say Upstate, what is your version?

Here we consider anything North of Albany upstate BUT I am more of the guy that says North of Saratoga Springs is UpState. I live 50+ miles north of Albany which is my daily commute. I don't do city life lol. Folks around here don't care for the yahoos south of Albany and NYC lol...to each is own.

I spend a lot of time further north on Lake Champlain region and then up at Lake Placid area. I reside between Fort Edward and Argyle on the Champlain Canal. My other hobby (but I have many others :) ) is fishing and I have a 22 foot aluminum boat with a 115hp Merc so I like to hit the water asap during the season.

EDIT: Them NYC folk anything out NYC is a different world to them. That's a giant bubble they live in literally. Most people when they think of New York all they think of is NYC. They don't realize how big the state of New York is although not in the top 10 largest state geographically, it's ranked #27 but nonetheless people only think of NYC. Most people don't realize what else the state has to offer as in Parks and Recreation etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_area

Last edited:
Here we consider anything North of Albany upstate BUT I am more of the guy that says North of Saratoga Springs is UpState. I live 50+ miles north of Albany which is my daily commute. I don't do city life lol. Folks around here don't care for the yahoos south of Albany and NYC lol...to each is own.

I spend a lot of time further north on Lake Champlain region and then up at Lake Placid area. I reside between Fort Edward and Argyle on the Champlain Canal. My other hobby (but I have many others :) ) is fishing and I have a 22 foot aluminum boat with a 115hp Merc so I like to hit the water asap during the season.

EDIT: Them NYC folk anything out NYC is a different world to them. That's a giant bubble they live in literally. Most people when they think of New York all they think of is NYC. They don't realize how big the state of New York is although not in the top 10 largest state geographically, it's ranked #27 but nonetheless people only think of NYC. Most people don't realize what else the state has to offer as in Parks and Recreation etc.
and she didn't own a horse.
The first time I took the conductor to NYC, my home, my sister's friends were all waiting to see my wife. There was a great disappointment on their faces as my wife wasn't wearing a leather skirt with fringe on it, no holster and she didn't own a horse. It is funny the perceptions people have about different parts of the country.

Well I finally got a little train room time today. I did some work on the coal dock. I then had about 45 minutes of operating time. I bought a refurbed SD-40-2 from Broadway Limited. I gotta tell you it is one of the finest running engines and a great deal of fun. I've put in a request for another for Christmas, we'll see.
Coal Dock 1.jpg

Good evening...Thanks to all for the likes.
Alan- not a big fan of rust on the wheels. I do mostly grimy black with a little mud color for highlight.
Next on the list is the BNSF that'll get patched out. Got a friend that wants to get rid of 6 Intermountain grain cars for $20 each. That'll be 15-18 cars to do total.So that'll keep me busy for a bit.

Good evening...Thanks to all for the likes.
Alan- not a big fan of rust on the wheels. I do mostly grimy black with a little mud color for highlight.
Next on the list is the BNSF that'll get patched out. Got a friend that wants to get rid of 6 Intermountain grain cars for $20 each. That'll be 15-18 cars to do total.So that'll keep me busy for a bit.
If they're the 4650 rib side ones that even the RTR's are built from their ill-fitting kits, make'em heavily weathered.

I asked, because we spent 30 years in NW Vermont. Our last house (17 years) was in Alburgh.

Well I finally got a little train room time today. I did some work on the coal dock. I then had about 45 minutes of operating time. I bought a refurbed SD-40-2 from Broadway Limited. I gotta tell you it is one of the finest running engines and a great deal of fun. I've put in a request for another for Christmas, we'll see.View attachment 42216
Hobo: is that a Boston&Maine switcher I spy?? This is a great photo.

I think I have a couple more photos you have not seen.
We have a thunderstorm over Smithville flashes lightning and rolls thunder. Behind the red vehicle, firemen are checking hot spots at what is left of THE SAFETY MATCH CO. The firemen brag that they have never lost a foundation.

We have three flatcars with Christmas themed loads on a siding, tractors, tree ornament displays and a large nativity display.

Sand lot baseball game in downtown Locust Grove. Behind the building to the left of the ball game is another sport, called "craps".
H 0126 xmas - Copy.JPG
H 057 - Copy.JPG

H 068a - Copy.JPG
under

H 068a - Copy.JPGH 0126 xmas - Copy.JPGH 057 - Copy.JPG

From the Montana Rail Link Railfan Society's Face Book page.
More switching on the MRL, couple of days ago. This time at the Agri Basics Co in Belgrade MT. GP35's #'s 404 & 405 have 2 60' flatcars with machinery high & wides on the head end and an older BNSF closed hopper (can only ever see 1) empty to be filled at the fertilizer plant. They will run past the building and shove the car into it for loading.
1576048822394.png

Pushing the hopper in under the loader. The Sante Fe Logo on the hopper's side, indicates, as I mentioned, an older car. The front loader also looks to be an earlier Cat model, has a more squarish motor cover than later ones, or could be another brand. The dozer is definitely a Caterpillar and by it's size, a D10. The blade is lying on it's back in front of it with other bits of goodness knows what, cradled within. The only tiedowns easily visible are a couple chains slung over that.
1576049652144.png

Waiting for the hopper to fill?
1576049804314.png

And departing with it (just make out the hopper still attached through the tree's branches. A little trackmobile on the right.
1576050575774.png

Last edited:
Good morning y'all.

Rained all night here, so I'm probably going to get the day off. Maybe I'll have some time for trains today. Not sure yet.

Thanks to all who are sharing pics, the inspiration is appreciated. Good looking work too.

Let's hope Beady gets some sleep soon, be a shame for him to get arrested while making naked snow angel under the influence. Lol.

My two cents on Florida winter: It really doesn't exist. It's a myth. It's just less hot than the rest of the year. Y'all can keep your spring breakers too. So glad I left that state. I think the heat, humidity, and salt all combine to make people stupid down there.

Y'all have a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back