What Type of Uncoupling Method Do You Use on Your Layout

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Just several fast questions about what type of uncoupling system do you use on your layout.

Many modelers use Kadee above and under the track uncouplers. Some even use a combination of both types on their layouts. Then there's the RIX uncoupling tool which works relatively fast and clean. There are several in our informal group that use wood screwers to pop open the couplers.

I use the Kadee above and under-track uncouplers along with a couple of RIX uncouplers.

What system do you use and what are their positive or negative attributes?

Thanks.

Greg

I jiggle the rolling stock and locomotives until they come apart.

...Then I start looking for couple parts that fell off and need to be fixed and re-rail everything that came off the tracks.

TOOTH PICKS let you get close to the car roofs. Sharpness goes into knuckles easy/easy twirl. No need for a dedicated holder on the fascia as you can leave 1-2 here and there on the layout at yards/interchanges/spurs, or in your shirt pocket..I never did, but you could stain them, too.. $00.01 each..
Though I'm HO [no layout now], I think the smaller scales would welcome them over skewers..

Although I do have some above-track uncoupling ramps in certain places, most of the time I use that hand tool with magnets on either side of the two legs. It would be handy to have the electro-magnetic under-track uncoupler, but in those places it would be most useful, I have under-the-table structure.

I use 4 different uncoupling systems.The round, pointed wooden stick, the under rail electric mag, the big giant hand and every once in a while - derailment. What determines which uncoupling system I use depends on whether I want to walk over and do it manually or sit on my butt - push a button or give it full throttle until it derails.;):p:):):)

What system do you use and what are their positive or negative attributes?
1575729198875.png

I use skewers. Tried the tween rails magnets and you'd have to have miles of them to get the job done. Also tried a RIX uncoupler and it really didn't seem to work at all. The skewers work and work wherever you need to uncouple.

Kadee between the rails, delayed action.
Pros- delayed action
Cons- unwanted uncoupling when loco stutters or rolling stock has little rolling resistance

Rare earth retractable
Pros - delayed action or non delayed
Cons - none

Skewers. tried the Rix tool and did not like it. My Grandson learned to use the skewer, and it helps to have the same #kadees on all the rolling stock. Mike

Skewers.

Any form of uncoupling using under-track magnets at fixed locations is far too limiting in actual operations, plus the risk of accidental uncoupling when you stop over one.

I'll use the RIX tool sometimes. I have some (non-Kadee) couplers that don't get along with the RIX.
Other times, just "the big hand".

Back