A building, a layout, finally!!

Finished up the 2" foam insulation today. Caulked the floor to keep water from getting behind the ledge wall. This foam and tape made an immediate difference!! The cold that used to be coming off the concrete wall is gone.
20191130_164641.jpg
20191130_164651.jpg
20191130_164703.jpg

Ok kinda related. Ran the electrical through the new garage and then to the shed. My drill press, band saw, stand up belt sander and grinder are out there, so it's related ;) also had my electrician here today, he got everything hook up in the main circuit breaker box today. So the train room is totally powered now!!

20200109_165645.jpg
20200109_165736.jpg
20200109_132056.jpg

I found this bridge on FB, had to have it. I have a 36" door going into the train room, it opens outward. I plan on making a swing out section with 2 rail bridges and one road bridge. The center bridge with 2 out bound section makes 36" exactly, so I can work with that. Looking for another arch bridge to match it now. It's an old Roco model, found one used on ebay. ;)

20200115_155327.jpg
20200115_155333.jpg

Patrick, the ones I got were all for $45, so I couldn't pass that up. Looking at them I'm leaning towards painting them silver and then a lot of rusty spots on them. They look pretty sturdy even without any glue. The top was missing from the arch bridge, but I asked the guy I bought themm from, he had it and is sending it now. ;)

OK, I haven't had much to add to this thread in a while, so time for an update. I have all of the sheet rock in the garage, just waiting on warmer weather. Not able to do the mudding until we get a steady 70 degrees or so. Once all of that is done, I'll be able to start building benchwork.

OK, so what to build. Well I had to rethink what I wanted to do. I plan on being here for about 8 more years, then I'll be moving westward to Tennessee for my retirement home. I currently have a 12' X 25' space to work with. Those that know me, know that my passion is (SW)itchers. My goal is to build a huge (SW)itcher junkyard.

I had planned to do an around the room layout with a center peninsula being the junkyard. After looking at what I could build in that space, I wasn't happy with the amount of space I would have for the junkyard. So back off, rethink everything. After talking with James (Alcomotive) and my better half and bouncing ideas around I've come up with this.

I will build the junkyard on a peninsula 6' X 20' in the center of the garage. I feel that will give me all of the room to build it and do it justice. And maybe (just maybe) fit the 270 (SW)itchers I have on it. I will have additional space around the room, I might tie it all in with a 1' shelf layout for now just so I can runs some long trains.

Eventually it will have to be dis-assembled and moved, so I am going to build it with that in mind. That's the plan anyway. ;)

Back