Wiring a Working Crossing Signal for DC Operation

GNMT76

My HO layout runs on DC. I'd like to wire a crossing signal such as the one in this link without going completely digital, if possible.

That is, no detector circuit boards. Possible?

https://www.trainboard.com/highball/index.php?media/new-crossing-signals.123324/full&d=1436201455

So aside from a required opto sensor between the ties (an edit from "digital detector", which is what I originally wrote), is it possible to wire the crossing signal so that the lights flash and can be turned on and off by use of a center-off DPDT toggle switch or some other simple electrical component connected to an AC/DC power pack (the one that controls the Tortoises on my layout) and an opto sensor? Or, is such a elemental setup incompatible with an opto sensor?

In brief: An opto sensor between the rails + a center-off DPDT toggle switch on the fascia + a power pack (using the AC or DC terminal?) + wiring to all three. Not a circuit board in sight.

Will that setup work? Such a wiring scheme compatible with an opto sensor?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You mean like flipping a DPDT toggle switch back and fourth to cause a blinking effect? If that's the case I think it would be very simple.

George

You mean like flipping a DPDT toggle switch back and fourth to cause a blinking effect? If that's the case I think it would be very simple.

George

George,

Exactly. An opto sensor between the rails + a center-off DPDT toggle switch on the fascia + a power pack + wiring to all three . Not a circuit board in sight. Will that setup work? Such a wiring scheme compatible with an opto sensor?

Just MHO, but it would be a lot simpler and more prototypical to use an Azatrak infrared detector and circuit board. If locating a detector between the ties is a problem, their detectors can be located above the board facing each other. I've been using them for a number of years now, and they are reliable and simple to wire. Doesn't matter if your track power is DC or DCC or selectively both. Completely independent of track power.

Exactly. An opto sensor between the rails + a center-off DPDT toggle switch on the fascia + a power pack + wiring to all three . Not a circuit board in sight. Will that setup work? Such a wiring scheme compatible with an opto sensor?
???? I don't understand if you are going to flash it manually anyway, what is the opto sensor for?

unfortunately anything that uses a timer or transistors for the flash is going to need, or come, with a circuit board ?? ..
not counting the added circuitry for the sensor..
if you just want a circuit that flashes leds, i will send you a couple, but they have circuit boards ??

Not that hard to do. Micro switches under track adjusted for engine weight (a hinged rail joiner can be made by cutting a notch in top of rail joiner. These detect the train.
Time delay relays to build the circuit logic.

Much simpler to buy a circuit board already made for the job.

unfortunately anything that uses a timer or transistors for the flash is going to need, or come, with a circuit board ?? ..
not counting the added circuitry for the sensor..
if you just want a circuit that flashes leds, i will send you a couple, but they have circuit boards ??

Quelle une bummer! Stuck with a circuit board then.

Back