Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. It's very foggy and 37.
Garry. many years ago we were in a similar situation with our parents. My mother had cancer, and got very sick. My father was loading her in the car, tripped, and fell over one of those concrete wheel-stops we see in parking lots, breaking his hip and elbow. He took my mother to the hospital, then he was transported to another hospital an hour away for his broken bones to be repaired. We lived in Florida... I drove to where they lived in Pennsylvania, and my wife flew up the next day. It was interesting driving from hospital to hospital twice a day for each of them. Then, my mother in law got sick, and my wife had to drive back to Florida to take care of her. My parents remained in two different hospitals for two weeks before I could get them temporarily placed in a nursing home. Talk about being stretched thin...

Good Morning All. 50° and clear. Supposed to be 77° for a high today, a mixed bag after Thursday with thunderstorms, cloudy days, sunny days, wind from the south, wind from the north; all the time staying above freezing. Still trying to recover from that pulled muscle in the lower back I experienced about a week ago. These things just seem to take longer to recover from than 30 years ago. Did too many household chores in the morning, well any household chores are too many, switching to outdoor tasks and walking the granddog in the afternoon; kept me on my toes all day. I need a day off from retirement! On one trip to the house, a neighbor stopped by to remark on how nice the day was; for 35 minutes! He is a 77 year old widower and an active farmer, but mostly has no one else to talk to except one of our other neighbors. He doesn't much have the desire to drive to the cafe everyday like he used to.

How about something a bit different today Flo; one of Mel's "everything in the kitchen" omelets sounds good.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's photos; Johnny, Chad, Jerome, Patrick, Jim, Chet, Hughie, Joe, Curt, Tom.

While I made it out to the train shed yesterday, I caught up on reading instead of modeling. Ran trains for over an hour. I retook a couple of progress pictures of the three urban structures. First a couple of views of why I want to open up the spacing between them.
11-19-19 004.JPG

11-19-19 005.JPG

Now a shot of the three of them with that space but no details.
11-19-19 001.JPG

And lastly a couple of close-ups of the two end structures and the activity in front of them.
11-19-19 002.JPG

11-19-19 003.JPG

Johnny - Waiting to see how you differentiate that bait shop from the general stores. Nice progress.
Garry - Prayers continue for your family.

Forgot to mention that yesterday was Mickey Mouse's 91st birthday. I think that we all knew him at one time or another.
OK, now that we have found Louis and presumably lost him, where the heck is Sherrel?
Everybody have a great week.

Good morning everyone. 41 and sunny. Nice weekend coming up, once we get past 2 or 3 days of rain.

Willie, Tom, Boris, Max, Patrick, Wheeler, Chad, Chet, and anyone I missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my Bait&Tackle store progress.
Garry - sorry to hear of the various family health issues - prayers for you and your family.
Willie - Differentiating the bait and tackle place from the general store will mostly be colors, window view, and advertisements on the exterior walls. I'm not really wanting to try major kitbashing. The structure as it is has a "look" that is great for a camping/fishing/hunting store.

Not much to report this morning. Got the plastic "windows" in place, working on the sign. Long ago I asked everyone in the family if they had a store or business on the layout what would they want. So little by little I'm naming businesses for people in the family. The bait and tackle place will be for my SIL, who is a real outdoors kind of guy.

Have a good day everyone.

I have had a conversation with Louis. It appears that at least two or maybe three of his posts were deleted about the time Bob gave the recent ultimatum. So he chose to leave us. Let's see how long that lasts when he gets his first Lionel commemorative boxcar this season. I did not see the posts involved, or at least they didn't make any impression on me; and I do admit that I respond to some of them. Not no more!

Willie: I'm beating a dead horse, but...I really don't think what he said was all that offensive. I also responded and had my response deleted. Not for nothing, it is what it is, and since Bob is the owner, he sets policy and we follow or don't participate. I certainly wouldn't want this forum to turn into a Facebook, where all sorts of vile, hateful bigotry and political stuff intrudes into everyone's news feed.

Having said that, I can relate to how Louis feels, and hope he will reconsider. By and large, his posts are interesting and entertaining.

Boris

Good Morning Everyone...................again as usual, overcast skies.

Carpet cleaners coming this morning so I'm banished to the layout room for a good part of the day.

Garry: Thoughts are with you and your family for a better tomorrow.

Texas Hobo: Your first post photo with all the signs is what we called in my profession, "Sign Pollution". A over kill of information that most people will over-look and and not see what the shop keeper wants to communicate.

Willie: Nice mortar job on the first buildings. Have you ever counted how many buildings are on your layout?

Not too much to chat about.

Later.

Greg

##############################

Willie: I'm beating a dead horse, but...I really don't think what he said was all that offensive. I also responded and had my response deleted. Not for nothing, it is what it is, and since Bob is the owner, he sets policy and we follow or don't participate. I certainly wouldn't want this forum to turn into a Facebook, where all sorts of vile, hateful bigotry and political stuff intrudes into everyone's news feed.

Having said that, I can relate to how Louis feels, and hope he will reconsider. By and large, his posts are interesting and entertaining.

Boris
"Policy" is something I can live with, so long as enforcement is consistent. If someone wants to own a forum and set the rules, consistent enforcement of those rules, and the vigilance it takes to spot violations, is or should be part of the price of ownership.

Which is going to make the next six weeks kind of interesting. To me, there's a difference between Christmas wishes, "Merry Christmas," say, and religious messages, "the reason for the season," etc. I'll wish everyone a Merry Christmas and accept the same with as good a will as anyone, but it's the inherent religious proselytizing or "witnessing" of the latter that I object to.

Which is going to make the next six weeks kind of interesting. To me, there's a difference between Christmas wishes, "Merry Christmas," say, and religious messages, "the reason for the season," etc. I'll wish everyone a Merry Christmas and accept the same with as good a will as anyone, but it's the inherent religious proselytizing or "witnessing" of the latter that I object to.

Be like a duck.

Let the water roll off your back.

I am not Jewish -- I have no problem with wishing or being wished a Happy Hanukkah. While religious, I have no problem wishing a Merry Christmas or being wished a Merry Christmas, in the Santa (secular style). I also have no problem wishing or being wished a religious Christmas greeting.

Food for thought (no need to respond or discuss unless done privately): As Christmas was originally a religious holiday, isn't the secularization of it the actual co-opting?

The offence is in the eye of the beholder, not the doer or sayer. Respect is not only something you* want for yourself, but what you* need to give to others. *generic you -- not any specific person here

"Policy" is something I can live with, so long as enforcement is consistent. If someone wants to own a forum and set the rules, consistent enforcement of those rules, and the vigilance it takes to spot violations, is or should be part of the price of ownership.
I've been not commenting on this, because I THOUGHT the people would remember the original discussion several months ago, and I wouldn't have to also beat a dead horse. I guess some people have pretty poor memories.
So, to drag everything through the mud, yet again:
Members of this forum began posting about politics and religion, against the forum owner's wishes. At the time, I reminded everyone that religion and politics were verboten, and explained what that word meant. Many of you argued vehemently against this, insisting it wasn't against the rules. I have several private messages from some people, if you need your memories further jogged. At the time, Bob was busy with other things, so I made the executive decision to allow limited discussion, as long as it remained civil, and not the primary focus of the Coffee Shop.
And of course, some people started posting political rants, again with the excuse that it wasn't against the rules. Some content was deleted, and the people with deleted content bitched about infringing on their right to free speech.
A couple of weeks ago, Bob happened to visit the Coffee Shop, deleted several recent posts, and reminded everyone yet again about the "no politics, no religion" rule.
Some of the people that instigated the political discussions stopped posting in the Coffee Shop after they got their way, and I'm sure if and when they return, we'll go through all of this again.

Now, if you want every past political or religious post removed to make sure enforcement is consistent, and possibly some forum members removed with those posts, it can be arranged. Otherwise, I'd strongly suggest you abide by the forum owner's wishes going forward.

Good morning all. Another fabulous day here in H-Town, prediction 80 degrees.

Thanks to all for the likes. I like to take a photo then study it a bit, see if there is a change that needs to be made, or something that might improve the scene. Sometimes the photo corrects the "forest for the trees" effect I get looking at the layout day in day out. I know what it's suppose to be, but am I conveying that idea to other viewers.

Greg - not sure what my first photo post was.

I also am not Jewish, and find nothing wrong with wishing or being wished Happy Hanukkah. Wishing and being wished Merry Christmas is part of the holiday season. If fact I dislike Xmas, holiday tree and any other term that lessens the spirit of Christmas.

"Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown, blame yourself for going to the circus"

bnsf971- "so I made the executive decision to allow limited discussion, as long as it remained civil, and not the primary focus of the Coffee Shop. "
I whole heartedly agree with you. This is not the forum to profess one's political or religious views. Everyone on this particular forum seems to me at least, friendly and somewhat educated. So not only do they work with model trains but based on some of the posts have regular lives as well, tires, pickup trucks, personal health, vacations to mention a few. So with that said, a slip of the tongue so to speak that might have a political or religious connotation is to be expected. After all it is part of the world we live in. I believe, should a post be completely political/religious, one that induces more of the same should be removed. Think about it, wishing you a Merry Christmas could be construed as religious, or how about "prayers for you family member", doesn't that infer religion?

Perhaps the forum should limit itself to Model Railroad Specific Topics, and dispense with the open topic coffee shop forum. That way no one's offended by folks who don't see things the way they do.

Boris

Perhaps the forum should limit itself to Model Railroad Specific Topics, and dispense with the open topic coffee shop forum. That way no one's offended by folks who don't see things the way they do.

This is the problem with society. We expect the world to conform to our views, instead of realizing others have views perhaps different from us and accepting that.

"Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown, blame yourself for going to the circus"

Exactly. If you are offended by someone else's views, realize they are probably offended by your views. Instead of trying to make them conform to your views, accept that they are different and be the bigger man/woman and let it be.

Afternoon All,

Spent several hours unloading kitchen cabinets, wiping them down, and washing the stem ware and such that only gets used once a year. Tomorrow I'll finish it. Thanksgiving in our house is our mega clean event of the year.

I'm with Willie about the forum keeping the coffee shop the way it is. This is the only thread I've been on in years.

Willie- Nice buildings. My mortar wash abilities are hit or miss. Yours looks great. Where do you get your little people from? You have some unique ones.

Garry- I'm sorry to hear about your family health issues. I am saying prayers for your family.

I hope everyone has a good night.

So now for something completely different, this is day 3 of running my GG-1. It is a Bachmann with DCC and sound. Today it started stalling in random places. I found that by changing the throttle position it would continue to run. I do need to change out the Bachmann couplers. The stalling I don't understand yet. This loco is 1 of 20, 1 of 17 Bachmann and the only one that stalls.

Geez how the days are flying by!! Its been almost a week since my last post! November is practically over. No sooner got here and out the door it goes. Well atleast for me anyways. I hope everyone is doing well. I'll try to slow the days down so I can stop by more often. Cant make any promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back