After many years I’m finally planning a layout

Robots_walk_the_earth

Hello all, I’m Bill. 39. Never had a layout but a lifelong fan. I’ve had various sets throughout the years. Most recently my HO scale Hogwarts Express that I put under my Christmas tree; at least until I had kids(now 2&3/4 and 1) and I’d like it to not get destroyed. I am now in the process of figuring out my space(I think I’ve finally decided on one) and just getting started on building a layout. It will be a slow go because well, kids, but I’m eager to get started. I’ve recently purchased ‘Track Planning For Realistic Operation by John Armstrong. It’s an interesting read so far. Well, I hope to be posting more as I go along with updates and I’m sure a million questions for you kind folks. Thanks for your help in advance.

Hey Bill. Just want to suggest different types of bench work before you start. It's all under the heading of being called sub-roadbed..
A flat table using say 4x8 plywood: is an old archaic way to go...causes all kinds of trouble with trying to reach across to rescue a stalled/derailed train, makes constructing grades difficult adding risers under sub roadbed to lift the wood, wiring problems / in finding objects on top you're wiring up, depicting hills-tunnels difficult and much more....Don't go there !
Cookie cutter method: Using flat ply, but, slicing into it to have SRB grades still attached and lifted up out at other end then supported with risers..
Open grid: Most popular with serious MRRers..Please look this method up / too diff to explain here.
L girder: Very similar to open grid..Check it out too...I highly suggest these last two....
Make mental pictures of your decisions/will they be the most logical based on grades /curvature / allotted space / realism (if that's what you're going for).
For me, keeping it at chest level or higher has one looking more across at trains than above them / nearer to how we see trains in real 95% of the time...
As for control, unless you've already decided/own, I strongly suggest getting right into DCC. An NCE PowerCab is about $150 (+-)..
Again, I won't go into why. But comparing digital DCC to early DC analog control is like comparing toothpicks to redwood trees, train ops-wise.
Good call on the Armstrong book. Go slow. Keep it fun.. M, Los Angeles

Last edited by a moderator:
MHinLA: Thanks for the tips. I don’t plan on doing a 4x8. The research I’ve done suggests as you said, it really is a lesser option. Once I lock down my location I will post dimensions and bench work ideas here to see what you all think. I do plan on going right to DCC as I would love to have a switcher and road engine running at the same time and hopefully be as realistic as possible.

Welcome to here.

I did something completely different as I used 2' X 8' tables I constructed, configured in roughly a big "U". 1/2" plywood with 1" x 4" bracing every 2 feet with 1 1/2 " foam overlay. If I were to do it over, I'd do it different.

Due to budget, I am currently on DC and plan to remain there for the immediate future. My layout while still under construction can handle a train running on my mainline and another running switching, although I do need dual controllers.

I think I’ve found my space. It’s the separate basement under my sunroom( I have a fixer upper Dutch colonial built in 1920). Here is a sketch of the dimensions. Now to figure out how to make a layout fit in my odd shaped space. I’ll be going with HO scale. Will post more after I brainstorm some bench work ideas. (Looking to have a loop in there somewhere and not afraid of a duck/crawl under.
27DE8112-D45F-4196-9E18-2221C3DC2B31.jpeg

That's a good sized space. Remember you'll need access to the tank. Does the door open in, out, left or right? It will make a difference how you layout the room as you don't want a door hitting the tank or the layout.

That's a good sized space. Remember you'll need access to the tank. Does the door open in, out, left or right? It will make a difference how you layout the room as you don't want a door hitting the tank or the layout.
Patrick, the door opens into the basement, away from the oil tank.(hinges on the left when looking at my sketch).

Wheeler: I don't think I would have created the 8' X 2' tables. I would have done it the bench work better use in the space I have. My tables were created when I was living in a different house and had them configured a bit differently. That said. I'm making what I have work for now. I'll change it up at a later time. I'm going to add about 9" to the length of one table to allow for additional scenery\buildings\etc. That makes it 2'9" at that point and will also stop the issue I have with trains falling off the table.

Robots: The door opening into the room on the left limits you running anything along the wall the door is on, but you still have a lot of length along it. I see the possibilities for a layout in that space. A run of about 6' along the right wall, along the entire back and a long run built around the cutout on the left side. Far cry from my table setup.

: The door opening into the room on the left limits you running anything along the wall the door is on, but you still have a lot of length along it. I see the possibilities for a layout in that space. A run of about 6' along the right wall, along the entire back and a long run built around the cutout on the left side. Far cry from my table setup.
Patrick: it does indeed. I was thinking of having the layout stop at the end of the bump out(chimney) so the space with the door swing wouldn’t be so crowded. Or maybe even putting a small work bench there. I just started reading the second half of track planning so I’m excited to learn about Armstrong squares and start making rough sketches of different possibilities.

Last edited:
So after much craziness of the season and some serious though I’ve decided to put this plan on the back burner for a while. It was a hard decision to come to but I just have too much going on right now to dedicate the time it would take to transform my unfinished sunroom basement into a proper train empire. It basically comes down to me trying to bite off way more than I can chew.
So I’ve decided to start smaller. It is after all my first real layout... I will start a build thread over in the layout section when I get some pictures and my thoughts organized.

I’m determined to be running trains this year!

Back