FB_IMG_1571525290962.jpg
FB_IMG_1571525334032.jpg
FB_IMG_1571525011678.jpg
FB_IMG_1571524991578.jpg
FB_IMG_1571525176255.jpg
FB_IMG_1571525037251.jpg
FB_IMG_1571525195643.jpg
FB_IMG_1571525186348.jpg

As I have posted before, I stopped watching NFL games about ten or twelve years ago, long before ingrates like Colin K. started kneeling during the national anthem. My reasons were many including overpaid prima-donnas, outright thugs, vicious criminals (Aaron Hernandez came later), woman abusers, wimpy owners and league officials, etc. The league was/is simply going to the dogs. Not all teams or players though.
Today I came across an article that seems to really sum it up.
Team MVP

Good evening.

Beady, Louis, Sherrel, Willie, Boris, and anyone I missed...... Sincere thanks for the congrats regarding out newest grandchild. ..... I already have a Brio train set to give to the little boy.

Sherrel .... Inheritance for grandkids ? .... We are spending our kids' inheritance. .... Grandkids are in trouble..... LOL

MILW 113 ..... Nice to see you again . Nice pictures of MILW steam.

TX Hobo ..... I like the picture of the PRR 4-6-0.

WIllie .... More great work in your train shed. Nice !

Karl ..... Thanks for sharing photos of your trip. Glad you ar home safely.

Cheers.

Chad -- I have the Kato Twilight Express pre-ordered, I wasn't aware of the Shiki Shima though. I like the look of it. Thanks for the link. The video on its website is pretty good.

Mike, that is a sore subject with me. The Expos should not be forgotten! Although they never won 100 games or more they had some good teams north of the border.

Occasionally, rarely the Orioles honor the ST. Louis Browns by wearing their uniforms, but they have not retired any of their numbers.

I resect what Art Model did when he agreed to leave the Browns name and memorabilia in Cleveland.

There is talk Tampa Bay may be playing some home games in Montreal.
I’d be ok with the Rays relocating to PQ. Hopefully, they could reinstate the Expos name/history(similar to what happened when the Stallions moved there(Alouettes) after the Ravens were known to be coming to Charm City). By staying in the AL East, they would become a natural rival with the Jays.

Quite a ballgame - Astros were hot!

Just on the idea that some of you may not have seen this yesterday, I will post it again.
I had a call from IB KEN last evening and we talked for almost an hour!

He is very concerned about his wife's condition and the ramifications of what may possibly lie in the future.
I don't know if I was able to give him any assurance, but he just needed someone to act as a sounding board.
It's on the cusp of causing him to have some sleep issues among everything else.

He asked me to keep everyone "updated" and I'm going to take a chance here and say that if any of you would wish to chat with him - I am sure that he would like to hear from just about anyone. He needs to talk to folks!
If you wish to participate, I will share his phone numbers with you via PM .... if you do not already have same?

Thanks for your ear!

Chad -- I have the Kato Twilight Express pre-ordered, I wasn't aware of the Shiki Shima though. I like the look of it. Thanks for the link. The video on its website is pretty good.

I have an extra unopened KATO Shiki Shima if you are looking to get one. Complete 11 car set :). It runs well. Special cars are lit but the normal car lighting requires KATO interior lighting kits.

Good Morning All. Clear and 54° here this morning. High today is supposed to be 87° and then another cool front hits around midnight with the high tomorrow only 74°. Possible light rain just ahead of the front.

Thanks for the likes and comments on the structure painting project yesterday; Louis, Sherrel, Tom, Chad, Phil, Jerome, Garry, Clint.

I only saw the inside of the train shed for less than an hour yesterday. Likely to be the same today. Did a bit of scenery work around the billboard that I posted Friday, but I am not quite finished. Ran trains while the glue was drying (most of the time). I did take a couple of pictures especially for Sherrel. I know that he likes Santa Fe's rebuilt F7's which are called CF7's. Here's a lash-up of all five that are on my roster. These are new pictures, but I may have posted some of these locos before.
10-20-19 001.JPG

Closeup of the lead two.
10-20-19 002.JPG

And the trailing three.
10-20-19 003.JPG

For those not familiar with this engine, ATSF rebuilt 233 F7's at their shops in Cleburne TX. It was an 8 year program starting in 1970. They stripped off the bodies, rebuilt the engines and traction motors and fabricated new switcher bodies for greater visibility for crew members. All of the interior components and wiring were also replaced. The first 31 were painted in the ATSF "cigar band" paint scheme, the rest were painted in the then new warbonnet scheme. The original 31 were repainted during this time frame. They began selling them off in the late 80's in favor of new GP60's and GE Dash 8-40B's.
Jan - Good to see you return to the Coffee Shop. Like the slides.
Karl - Are those critters operable? Some of them look like it.

Everybody have a great Sunday.

Yep, My Ex became addicted to them in the 60's. Fed to her legally, by a Doctor, for weight control. Long before I knew what they were. They still give them to Heart patients and others to make you feel better, and they do. I had a little AF (Atrial Fibrillation) after my Bypass Op and while I didn't know what they were, was given them. They just make you feel really well, glad to get up in the morning etc, feel very positive. I actually asked my Doctor, he just said "Oh, you can't stay on them".

Good morning .....

We are headed to church, and following that, we are going to Nashville. We will visit Brother-In-Law in hospital and Mother-In-Law in nursing home. We will also see other family members.

Sherrel ..... That is a great idea regarding Ken IB. Not sure how soon I can participate, but would like to.

Willie .... That is an impressive fleet of CF7's. I bet they work well as single units performing switching among your many industries.

Everybody ...... Have a good Sunday.

Good afternoon. It's cloudy and 60.

It's been a couple of months since I began to transition from HO to N scale, and I can offer a few observations.
First, N is very small compared to HO (duh!), and it is easier to damage stuff.
Next, most of the N offerings are now on a par with HO, as far as operating and reliability. One of the companies I have been very pleasantly surprised by in this, is Bachmann. I'd put them on a par with Atlas of ten years ago, as far as overall running, quality, and appearance. They still aren't there yet, as far as fidelity to specific prototypes, though they've made a lot of improvements there, a well. The only Bachmann equipment I've experienced an issue with is a GG1, which has the traction tire slipping off when the engine is pulling a 75 car train by itself. Paint and colors seem very sharp and clear, though there were a couple of items that were "off".
Obviously, most stuff in N has molded-on grabs and details, just because of its size and how easy it would be to damage. Now that there are low-profile flanges and wheelsets, along with code 55 rail, it looks a lot better.
I do have to keep reminding myself that 1/16" gap in the rails is a foot or more in N scale, and I can't reasonable expect engines and rolling stock to just roll over a gap like that. I've had to go back and fix those spots, where in HO, it would be almost nothing.
Most all rolling stock still has truck-mounted couplers, though more and more cars have body mounts. The only engines I've seen with truck-mounted couplers are the older-based models such as PAs and E/F units, on the rear. Honestly, there isn't a lot of room to do much else in those spots. Not that I'd give everybody a pass on that, but there's only so much current technology can do for that.
There are more "good" players now, as far as manufacturers. I've picked up some Exactrail, Wheels of Time, and Intermountain cars, and they are all good. It goes without saying Rapido's stuff is good.
Micro-trains now has a line of heavyweight passenger cars with body mount couplers and full interiors. They look and roll great, but I was surprised when I had to modify a shorter car to allow it to travel through 11" radius curves. The issue seems to be similar to the high-end Walthers passenger cars in HO, where the truck frames and couplers interfere with each other.
Sound has come a long way in N scale, with many models offered with it from the factory. As in other scales, some are better than others.
Now, if we can make our hands and fingers scrunch down to work with N scale buildings, couplers, and such, it will be good. If not, well, it was worth a shot to stay in the hobby.

I did notice something odd about N scale. Looks like I'm not old enough yet to build/use/play with it:

• Designed for model builders and collectors over the age of 1449
  • Highly detailed plastic
  • Scale models for use in dioramas or model railway layouts
  • May require assembly

Good morning. 35 degrees with some light snow. Flo, I am a bit hungry this morning. A couple of eggs over easy, home fries, some white toast and an appropriate amount of bacon Please.
72242392_2505894532822535_1807441084196847616_n.png

Have to catch up on some posts today. Took four games bowling Friday night and had lots of small "honey do" projects to catch up on yesterday.

Louis
- Like starting the day off with your photos. The shot of the Commodore Vanderbilt is a winner.

Z - Great photos of the Big Boy.

Garry - A late congrats for your son and his wife.

Sherrel - I know a number of people up here who have leased pickups. Many of the folks out here only have pickups. I'm glad that I sold my 2012 Silverado. My need for a pickup isn;t what it used to be. I still have my old '72 Chevy heavy three quarter ton pickup. It's not fancy. Put a new motor in it a few years back and it does everything that I need a truck tp do. I do agree with you on the track cleaning car. I will go with the Milwaukee Road plug door. The wood side Milwaukee box car is for grain hauling with grain doors installed and that one will be of more use for switching.

thumbnail_20191015_151503.jpg

Thanks on the information on IBKen. I do have his number but at this time don't want to bother him. Prayers for his wife.

Karl
- Excellent photos of the Grand Canyon railroad. Hope we can get down there next year.

Clint - Liked the video of the passenger trains you posted.

Willie - Just loved your photos of the town scenes, especially the interior of the boutique. Well done.

Texas hobo - Liked the photo of the LIRR locomotive. Looks like an ex PRR.

MR113 - Great photo of those steamers. Nice to see you back.

I feel quite fortunate that I can perform quite a lot of maintenance on out vehicles, even the newer ones as I can download and codes from the ECU with my laptop. Shop rates are getting crazy now. Most places charge around sixty bucks just for them to plug in and see what codes the ECU is putting out.

I think it was Sherrel that mentioned that his wife enjoyed shopping. Here is an old photo showing a cuple of 1/87 women that look like they'ds going to shop till they drop.

thumbnail_20190305_152151.jpg thumbnail_20190307_104416.jpg

Later

Good Afternoon to All. As I said "the World Series must go through Houston". Something else, watch out for the little guy.

Thanks for the likes on the picture. It was a great time to be a kid.

Have you ever figured out what you have spent on your model railroad? I was curious so I built an Excel spreadsheet, a work sheet for lumber, foam and various hardware, a sheet for track, sheet for locos, sheet for rolling stock, sheet for buildings, sheet for vehicles and a sheet for scenery materials. Once I filled in the data and had it all calculate to a cover sheet, I was amazed. My layout is small compared to many I see here. L shaped 11' x 6' and 40" wide. Granted it was not all spent at one time, but I could have bought a car, or one of those pick-ups for the money spent. I haven't told the wife just how much was spent. Bonus, I added photos of individual engines, rolling stock, buildings and vehicles and now have a pretty good inventory log. I hope I never need but could be good for an insurance claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back