Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, Louis ... Even a strip-down model is 20-30K . I have no desire to be saddled with a 7 year loan - I may not live that long!

I hope not, but if that is the case get a 10 year loan ;)

Me too! AND I see tons of them out here - almost like everyone's second car is a pickup.
I see them everywhere as well.

Is it just my observations or is it true; the bigger the truck the smaller the driver? Are they compensating for something?

Willie, I have rules, my silly rules, but none the less rules.

No cheese with mayo and or tomatoes.

Like my native language, English there are exceptions to almost every rule. Extra tomatoes and lots of mayo on a cheese steak or hamburger, but only on those two! No, wait, there are more, cheese and tomatoes are ok on a taco or burrito. There maybe others, but I can't think of any at the moment.

Don't ask me where I come up with this stuff because I have no idea.

I had a call from IB KEN last evening and we talked for almost an hour!

He is very concerned about his wife's condition and the ramifications of what may possibly lie in the future.
I don't know if I was able to give him any assurance, but he just needed someone to act as a sounding board.
It's on the cusp of causing him to have some sleep issues among everything else.

He asked me to keep everyone "updated" and I'm going to take a chance here and say that if any of you would wish to chat with him - I am sure that he would like to hear from just about anyone. He needs to talk to folks!
If you wish to participate, I will share his phone numbers with you via PM .... if you do not already have same?

Thanks for your ear!

Damn if I didn't crash out....
See if I can write something and it'll make sense....
Not bought much books or trains lately, but I have bought a fair share of slides, both original and duplicates!
They're Milwaukee Road, Norfolk & Western, Gulf Mobile & Ohio and many others, just need to find a scanner
that'll work with my laptop!
Earlier today, I managed to get my dirty mittens on a set of Milwaukee Road steam slides, 19 of them!
I hope that all you misfits are all doing well!

Last edited:
Next door neighbor, when they came about 10+ years, the wife had a new VW Golf. Discovered the service charge was $150/Hr. Soon traded it for a Toyota. Had one ever since.

At least around here, VW and Toyota service hourly rates are very similar.

I've been driving VW since 1988, with only a small break* from 2016 to 2019 with a Volvo, which, as I outlined, was totaled in an accident, and which we replaced with a VW. I've not had much work need to be done on any of the VWs -- mostly just tires, brakes once in a while, and a small amount of warranty work (one wheel bearing in late 90s, and an A/C core late 200x, and a few small things).

(* We still had a VW corporate level car, meaning a non-VW labeled from the VW corporate -- an Audi -- from 2016+, which has been pretty good though I don't look forward to the warranty expiring in terms of potential costs -- no issues in the wings now).

Some really nice luxury trains from around the world.

Cool, thanks. Time to start saving!

The 7 Stars on Kyushu train is available from KATO in N-scale. I have it and it is really nice.

There are two other Japanese "Cruise" trains that were not mentioned. The Shiki Shima, run by JR East, is a futuristic looking train with all the luxury amenities. Available in N from KATO and Tomix (I have the KATO and in fact have a second unopened one if anyone wants to buy one).

The actual Shiki Shima: https://www.jreast.co.jp/shiki-shima/en/concept.html

And the Twilight Express Mizukaze by JR West is another very high end "cruise" train in Japan -- probably the equal of the 7 Stars. Tomix is shipping an N scale version of this and KATO is releasing one in a little over a month.

Twilight Express Mizukaze: https://twilightexpress-mizukaze.jp/en/

Last edited:
Mark E. Carder - ‎Western Maryland Railway Company
WM. #30, #40 and #28. Passenger special. Hillen station. Baltimore, Md. Oct. 28 1962.
View attachment 40727
Neat picture there Louis! Weird too. #1, there appears to be a steam leak by the combine , but the WM GP9s were not equipped with steam generators. #2 knowing how few passenger cars the WM owned, (maybe a dozen, tops) the train seems grossly overpowered. When I worked for the MMID with the excursion trains, we would only use 2 GP9s for 10-12 car trains.

We're back, and the jet lag has worn off! Awesome trip, gorgeous weather, and I can say enough about the staff at the park, or on the railroad/hotel .
As promised, steamers and diesels and critters oh my!!
DSCF2454.JPG

3 truck shay #5

DSCF2457.JPG

0-6-0 cog wheel loco

DSCF2462.JPG

2-8-2 Mikado

DSCF2475.JPG

Former VIA Rail MLW FPA-4 This loco is kept at the park as protection power for the daily train from Williams AZ, fully operational in case one of the F40PHs has an issue. There is another in Williams near the hotel and more "part doners" at their shop.

Good Afternoon all. I've been moving furniture around for 2 days, back aches something awful. Sadly I was told I will be putting it back the way it was. I not sure pick-up trucks are "second cars" at least not in Texas. We use mine way more than the car.

When I was 5 my folks bought a house in Richmond Hill NY. At the end of the street was the Long Island Railroad engine yard, Morris Park. I would spend hours watching as the locomotives were brought out of the round house onto the turntable, under the tipple, tender coaled and watered and set on the ready track. The women of the neighborhood had to watch the wind direction when hanging out the wash, to be sure the soot wouldn't be blown on the clean laundry. For the first few weeks we would be awakened by the roar of the coal falling from the tipple into a tender at night. At the time, 1950, the yard was mostly steam locos, and a few RS-1's. The sights, sounds and smells of those locos were awesome.
index.php
Morris Park Tipple.jpg

Attachments

• LIRR-2 Morris Park.jpg
    LIRR-2 Morris Park.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
At least around here, VW and Toyota service hourly rates are very similar.

I've been driving VW since 1988, with only a small break* from 2016 to 2019 with a Volvo, which, as I outlined, was totaled in an accident, and which we replaced with a VW. I've not had much work need to be done on any of the VWs -- mostly just tires, brakes once in a while, and a small amount of warranty work (one wheel bearing in late 90s, and an A/C core late 200x, and a few small things).

(* We still had a VW corporate level car, meaning a non-VW labeled from the VW corporate -- an Audi -- from 2016+, which has been pretty good though I don't look forward to the warranty expiring in terms of potential costs -- no issues in the wings now).
She did mention that the service dept floor and everything about it, looked like an operating theater in cleanliness and order, so I guess that's what clients were helping to pay for.

Karl- glad to see you kept the camera snapping on all those engines.
Now, I have them in MY computer file of favorites.
This has been a football weekend for me. My oldest grandson is a senior, so we went to see him in his last high school Band performance at a home game, A week ago, the temp was 90 degrees at the start of the game. Last night was 68 at the start and was 56 when we got home.
Woke up to a little rain and 49 degrees at 6:45 AM. That first cup of coffee was fabulous. (Sorry, Flo!)
Before the 11:00 AM kickoff of the Auburn at Arkansas game, I had the crock pot full of pasta, barley, assorted vegetables and ham chunks with plenty of water for soup. I can tell from the smell that it is ready to eat.

I found a picture of a Birmingham shake shack that I worked at in the summer of 1962 during high school.
I'm thinking about scratch building one for my layout.

Attachments

• Polar Bears Spinning Wheel.jpg
    Polar Bears Spinning Wheel.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 125
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back