Number 50 Turnout

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
Many years ago, I remember an article in one of the railroad related magazines about a No. 50 turnout used on a Union Pacific mainline. Actually, there were two of them used for a high speed mainline cross over.
I can't find any reference to that No.50 turnout now.
Anybody no what I'm referring to and can provide input?

Temptation makes me respond.. I think there must have been a typo.. #50 seems ludicrous...#20, 22 is plenty an acute and smooth transition for a fast train..A #50 would split routes 1 foot apart in 50 feet. Not so bad except, in order for trains on both routes to not ever side swipe or graze one another (say one is idling in the passing siding), where they would have to clear one another would be something like 150-200 feet out from the frog in order to let one pass without side swiping one another... I'd think this would serve no purpose when a #18 - #22 would suffice.

Sounds like some of the high speed switches used in some NEC Interlockings. They allow for 60mph and 70 mph diverting moves. I would have to dig out my last Timetable and NORAC book for locations and the name of the diverting signal indication. Amazing how quickly some of this subject matter leaves one, once they no longer have to retain it.

The UP main lines were capable of high speeds, as I recall they even had Cab Signals, as well as multiple tracks. A High speed crossover would allow freight train diverting moves with little or no reduction of speed.

Boris

Selector (above), good call ! Maybe OPer is reading it as a switch No. when the 50 is referring to an allowable speed thu such and such switch !

That PDF is a great resource. According to 5.14, the #30 Switch (turnout), is good for 60 MPH, Amtrak has several similar with movable frogs near BWI station, in Maryland. They were looking at switches that would allow for 70 MPH on the diverging route, at locations where interlockings were scheduled to be reconfigured and replaced. If someone could locate and upload the link to the Amtrak track standards field manual, that would contain the requisite information.

Crandell also provided some interesting links

One final thought, the #24 switch is rated at 50 MPH, (Limited Speed 45 MPH), and the #30 switch is rated at 60 MPH, normally maximum permissible speed would be 50 to 55 MPH estimated, it would make sense that 60 MPH and 70 MPH switches would require larger switches than 30. it's a matter of finding the right reference document to confirm the switch size.

Boris

Back